US, China declare halt to new tariffs

Trump Making America Great Again!

US, China declare halt to new tariffs

State Councillor Wang Yi, the Chinese government's top diplomat, told reporters in Buenos Aires the two sides believed the agreement "effectively prevented the expansion of economic frictions between the two countries".

"Facts show that joint interests between China and the United States are greater than the disputes, and the need for co-operation is greater than frictions," he said.

(The Mercury)
  • Tiny
  • 12-02-2018, 05:43 PM
Good to see you agreeing that higher tariffs and a trade war are not in our best interest.
To paraphrase a great moderator, "They're in our interest until they're not in our interest."
Good to see you agreeing that higher tariffs and a trade war are not in our best interest. Originally Posted by Tiny
The tariffs were utilized to bring China to the bargaining table. That appears to have worked. So, it was in our best interest.

The theft of intellectual property is definitively not in our best interests. It has got to stop. Such thievery has allowed China to expand its economic influence in the world market without China making the same or similar investments in development that the U.S. has expended.

If the U.S. continues to bear the investment and development costs alone while the Chinese simply market the end product without those expenses, the U.S. loses.

The tariffs were justified and in our interest if they achieve this goal. And it appears that at least we're now going in the right direction.
It was hurting them more than us.
Thank God Trump saved us again! This guy is a global force. How many countries is that now? Wait a minute. Did he officially label China a currency manipulator? I was watching one of my Trump Rally CDs where he said he was going to! Way to go Donald!
The tariffs were utilized to bring China to the bargaining table. That appears to have worked. So, it was in our best interest.

The theft of intellectual property is definitively not in our best interests. It has got to stop. Such thievery has allowed China to expand its economic influence in the world market without China making the same or similar investments in development that the U.S. has expended.

If the U.S. continues to bear the investment and development costs alone while the Chinese simply market the end product without those expenses, the U.S. loses.

The tariffs were justified and in our interest if they achieve this goal. And it appears that at least we're now going in the right direction.
Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Yes, I agree. President Trump is pushing China in the direction all the countries in the world want.

Stop intellectual property theft now!
Yes, I agree. President Trump is pushing China in the direction all the countries in the world want.

Stop intellectual property theft now! Originally Posted by friendly fred
I do believe you are right on this point Fred. Shame Trump is such a fuck up. It drowns out the good stuff
It was hurting them more than us. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
exactly. and Trump knows it. the delta between the US and China is some 500 Billion a year. China doesn't have 500 B to bleed. while the libtards screamed "Armageddon" most trade and economy wonks saw exactly what Trump saw. China's economy is a house cards propped up by the Government and owned and controlled largely by the Government.

the Chinese had to give in. if the economy tanks from bleeding 500b a year in some prolonged trade war which they can't handle the Communist Party itself risks falling.

China can turn off all cell phones and the interebs all they want. that's not gonna stop millions from rioting if it got really bad economically in China. is China prepared to order its troops to fire on rioters?

i think they'd rather clean up their trade practices. and Trump knows it.
is China prepared to order its troops to fire on rioters? Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid

I'd have to say yes.

They'll do another Tiannemen if the communist party thinks it'll save their asses.
I do believe you are right on this point Fred. Shame Trump is such a fuck up. It drowns out the good stuff Originally Posted by themystic
No politician will ever give you everything you want.
  • WTF
  • 12-03-2018, 08:58 AM
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/2-...ast-2018-12-03

Little early to be calling victory. Originally Posted by WTF
Well, they may just keep renewing it and arguing about it for years - either way Trump wins.
  • WTF
  • 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Well, they may just keep renewing it and arguing about it for years - either way Trump wins. Originally Posted by friendly fred
Trump always wins if you don't believe me just check the bankruptcy courts
It was hurting them more than us. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama

Hence why they came to the table, wanting to talk.

China can turn off all cell phones and the interebs all they want. that's not gonna stop millions from rioting if it got really bad economically in China. is China prepared to order its troops to fire on rioters? Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid

Based on what we've seen in the past not only are they ok with it, but its a common practice. Remember Tianiman square.