Back-up

• ftime
  • 11-08-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm helping a friend configure a very robust new system. We are already spending close to 4K - all in - printer, monitor etc. Where I am somewhat stuck is on an external backup. This individual is too paranoid to use services like Carbonite. She wants everything to be in her hot little hands, ie. onsite. So I am looking for an external backup. The new computer has 2TB + 256GB SSD. So I'm thinking a 2 TB external drive will work. This is the part where I'm confused.

Let's assume that the computer gets completely fried (not likely - but possible). Now she has to buy a completely new computer. But she wants the restored version to be exactly what she lost. Programs, settings, data, OS everything. A mirror of her former computer. Up and running in the time it takes to do the restoration. She is not by any stretch of the imagination, a computer expert (does have a masters degree in engineering).

I have found programs that claim to do this, but I need to keep it simple. I'm looking for an external HD that would do this on a close to automatic basis. Any thoughts or recommendations? Simple - plug and play is good.
http://cmsproducts.com/bounceback-ba...overy-software

Automated full system backups that are bootable if need be. Cuts your down time to minutes in case of primary disk failure.
Check out what is called "Mirror Drive", partially described below. But first, although some off the shelf software claim to be able to handle the situation you present, if she has to go out and buy a new box, there could be issues of system compatibility with the actual “operating systems” unless she can buy the exact same box with the exact same chips, bios, etc. and after a few months, I’d be surprised if you could buy the exact same machine. And she will be offline regardless until she has a new box.

For a Mirror Drive (which I think fits your posted specification), there are variations, but using the definition you present of a machine being toasted (I prefer grape jelly), this requires a second machine that runs in tandem with the primary machine with a communication link between them. Software can be set so that if primary machine gets baconed for breakfast, then the second machine "steps" in with all activity cut over to the second machine with no interruptions. The second machine has simply mirrored the primary machine up to the point of interruption and cut-over. Here’s the fun part: The 2nd machine can be on the other side of the world, or some other boring local location like a best friend’s facility. You just need a communications link. Large engineering outfits, with multiple offices, simply have their mirrors/backups/whatever, in their other offices.

In closing, the machines can be different machines, bought at different times. It’s the software that handles the mirror activity that allows this. Some folks I know
have a couple machines always running that were bought a couple years apart. Buy a third after a couple more years and toss the oldest (after sanitizing the harddrive) and you’re back down to two. Sort of a planned preventive maintenance cycle.
  • ftime
  • 11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
They don't mention if this covers the OS too, but it seems pretty complete. I intend to use a 2 TB My Passport external hard drive with this (the computer in question has a 2 TB SATA drive and a 256 SSD - so I figure 2 TB should be fine) and then I add this? http://cmsproducts.com/bounceback-ul...overy-software

And aside frome the "jelly" it replicates the original computer?
So the only remaining question is how long is she off-line to go shopping for a new box? Looking on store shelfs, for a nice machine with significant guts, can take a couple days, unless you're lucky. Thus, off-line for that time or a week if you order one. It's this issue that could be a key factor for justifying mirrors. But yes, the cost of a second box could be an issue as well.
For my older machine that's off the mirror assembly, and for my travel machines, I have a handfull of 1 TB portable drives for backups of the data only. I also use the 1TBs for photo files related to something else I do. The 1TBs are so cheap nowadys.
  • ftime
  • 11-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah she had a machine literally catch on fire. So when she got a new machine - she didn't have the same OS or programs. She isn't critical as far as time - she's a civilian and doesn't depend on a computer to make a living. So ordering one online has worked for her in the past.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.
They don't mention if this covers the OS too, but it seems pretty complete. I intend to use a 2 TB My Passport external hard drive with this (the computer in question has a 2 TB SATA drive and a 256 SSD - so I figure 2 TB should be fine) and then I add this? http://cmsproducts.com/bounceback-ul...overy-software

And aside frome the "jelly" it replicates the original computer? Originally Posted by ftime

Yep. Unless she is running Windows 8.

Unique_Carpenter,
Got a link for the Mirror Drive software you are talking about? Sounds like a good zero downtime solution for bigger budget installations.
I would recommend a NAS device (dlink DNS 320 is a great unit, holds 2 3.5 inch drives and is on the network)

get a NAS device, if it has 2 drives, get the largest capacity drive it can use... aka if it see's 4 tb drives, get them.. if not go to 3 TB's run them in Mirror mode on a 2 drive system

then download a copy of a program called Duplicati I use it for full and incremental backups.

Be sure both her new system and the NasBox have gigabit nics and are on the same Gig switch.

Now, what to back up ? Data... as long as you have the program install sources, all you need to back up is DATA.....documents, tunes, movies, pictures.. etc.

Duplicati can back up to a file based system (nas box) or a cloud.

there are some settings in Duplicati that can make it run better.. like setting the file size on the back up from the default 10 meg to a 1 gig file, (it creates multiple files for a full backup so the more you put INTO a file, the number of files it creates is lower)

Then set up scheduling, etc..if you need more info PM me and we can link up in email off here
Oh.. if her new system will do Drive mirroring do that on it locally.. a drive fails you get a warning, you shut down, replace the bad drive, power up.. the RAID takes over and replicates back to the new drive... easy peasy
The mirror stuff is all over the place. Wikipedia has a basic overview.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_mirroring
Here's a current list of some magazines top 10 mirror software for just doing it onto another local drive:
http://disk-imaging-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
I assume that you’re not interested in server related software so I’ll not go there.
If you’re techie at all, the high end versions of Win 7 (and XP, I skipped over Vista) do have mirror capability and restore built in for an extra local drive. And yes, no one’s really using Win-ate-it. However, for Win 7 you have to go through a bit of effort to set it up. Thus, for a non-techie, the point and click software is easier to use.
Last, off-site mirror requires significant effort to set up, being specific to the equipment and the comm. system, and coordinating two systems, thus, perhaps a stretch for a non-techie.

As G-pop mentions, racking some spare drives onto your system, even if portable drives, is a fundamental part of local backup/mirroring. Should have mentioned earlier, but I'm only on my third cup.
I have a double-redundant external hard drive setup for my backups; two external hard drives that are in rotation. With one in the Safe deposit box at all times.
I use Toucan a free portable app for all my backup choices; mirror, copy, sync.
Have been using it for years without fail.