Getting started when I am nearly impossible to screen?

Hello, I am a long time lurker looking to get started in the hobby. I have seen 3 providers before (one in Austin, 2 out of state), but none of them are eccie members. I have been self-employed for years, don't use things like Facebook/Myspace (pretty much invisible online), and am youngish. So far, I am getting the impression that I am just going to repeatedly set off providers' creep-o-meters as a result of these issues until I can manage to get a couple references/P411 access.

I have one reference from another city, but beyond this, I just can't think of any way that a provider can possibly screen me. I am honestly just a nice guy who has fantasized about hobbying regularly for way too long, but am worried that I am stuck for now.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to work around my situation, preferably by PM so we aren't teaching the bad folks how to be bad.

Thanks for any help!
There is a list on ECCIE of providers who are newbie friendly. One of them should be able to help you get screened. I think it is RockerRick that posts it. Look in the various forums here and you will find it.
Thanks guys! I actually knew about the list and have contacted 3 ladies who I know to be newbie friendly. 2 of the 3 are flat out not interested, and the other is not available til later this week, but will require some light screening which I worry I will not be able to pass.

The problem is that we cannot seem to find any way to screen me at all since I am self-employed and have no online presence such as Facebook to offer them. Even the newbie friendly providers need something to work with, and I just don't seem to have anything to give them so far.
Offer to meet them for lunch/dinner in a public place ... and pay for time and meal.
I have heard of asking for a pic of their drivers licence. What's the opinion about this out there? I mean technically LE have drivers lic too right... or is theirs different looking?

I'm getting a LOT of newbie requests and have had to stay strong and decline. It's a bother because... well it's rent week after all!
Thanks fun2come and good idea! I may try that if I keep having screening problems.

Also, I should really know this... but is it standard to have to give up my real name?

I was kinda getting worried that I had somehow accidentally blacklisted myself among newbie providers, but that's probably unreasonable. I guess I have been really lucky in the past, as I have simply introduced myself and next thing I know, we're booking.
  • Qziz
  • 04-30-2013, 06:10 AM
I mean technically LE have drivers lic too right... or is theirs different looking? Originally Posted by Eve_Adams
Nope. If you're checking for DLs it's only to confirm identity, there is no special DL for LE/state/federal employees.

Also, I should really know this... but is it standard to have to give up my real name?
Originally Posted by AfterDarkIFeel
No. Never.
Get p411 or hit BP to start. BP is a bit riskier but should be easier to book. You can also go with an agency as they are more about volume of business and tend to be far less discriminating as far as screening (Or they used to be anyway).

I've never heard of someone getting turned down by newbie friendly providers before. What the hell spooked them?
No. Never. Originally Posted by Fratelli

I second that. You never give out real world information, including your FB information, if you would have had one. Just curious, has a provider asked for your FB info?
I second that. You never give out real world information, including your FB information, if you would have had one. Just curious, has a provider asked for your FB info? Originally Posted by LuvThatKitty

I have ask other brand new newbies for FB before and they had no problem given it to me...Would I ever contact them through fb or someone off their page...NO WAY...
I second that. You never give out real world information, including your FB information, if you would have had one. Just curious, has a provider asked for your FB info? Originally Posted by LuvThatKitty
Yes, and she also wanted an email address with my real name attached. She's very well known and has a great reputation... don't think she meant any harm. I do recall one other newbie friendly provider posting publicly that she sometimes asks newbies for their Facebook info as part of her screening, so it's probably not uncommon.
FB: Ha, you think I am the real me on FB? Who are you kidding.
and even that FB account can only be seen by my closest FB friends.
I don't know how that would do any Provider any good and it certainly would startle my friends if I all of a sudden I have a new Hobby friend.
Eccie <|> FB <|> RW these 3 are not meant to meet.
It would be quite an exciting threesome though, OMG, I see a movie in there....

I was kinda getting worried that I had somehow accidentally blacklisted myself among newbie providers . Originally Posted by AfterDarkIFeel

Nope problem fixed.