The hobbyist's stock portfolio

I was reading a story today about Capital One Financial, whose stock symbol is COF.

You can already see where this is going, so I won't waste any more of your time, except to say that many abbreviations don't have corresponding stock symbols. Herewith, my results:

COF Capital One Financial
CIM Chimera Investement
CG Carlyle Group
RCG RENN Glb. Entrepreneurs Fund Common
SS Summus Solutions
COB Community One Bancorp
NE Noble Corp.
SE Spectra Energy
FIV Fiserv
PSE Pioneer Southwest Energy Partners
CBJ CB Gold
NCBS Nicolet Bancshares
AMP Ameriprise Financial
ATF Artaflex
BBW Build-a-Bear Workshop
BFE Banca Finat
BR Broadridge Financial Solutions
SW Sierra Wireless
DP Institut Régional de Développement de la Région Nord Pas de Calais
DPP DP Poland LLC
DSL DoubleLine Income Solutions Common
GS Goldman Sachs Group
HWP Hewlett-Packard
LE Lariat Energy
MM Millenial Media
STD Standard Chartered PLC
SYT Syngenta AG ADR
I was reading a story today about Capital One Financial, whose stock symbol is COF.

You can already see where this is going, so I won't waste any more of your time, except to say that many abbreviations don't have corresponding stock symbols. Herewith, my results:

COF Capital One Financial
CIM Chimera Investement
CG Carlyle Group
RCG RENN Glb. Entrepreneurs Fund Common
SS Summus Solutions
COB Community One Bancorp
NE Noble Corp.
SE Spectra Energy
FIV Fiserv
PSE Pioneer Southwest Energy Partners
CBJ CB Gold
NCBS Nicolet Bancshares
AMP Ameriprise Financial
ATF Artaflex
BBW Build-a-Bear Workshop
BFE Banca Finat
BR Broadridge Financial Solutions
SW Sierra Wireless
DP Institut Régional de Développement de la Région Nord Pas de Calais
DPP DP Poland LLC
DSL DoubleLine Income Solutions Common
GS Goldman Sachs Group
HWP Hewlett-Packard
LE Lariat Energy
MM Millenial Media
STD Standard Chartered PLC
SYT Syngenta AG ADR Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
That's hilarious! Us providers & hobbyists are pervs LOL
All my money on BBBJ.
Here's one I'd beware of:

Shares of retail apparel chain The Gap are showing some real weakness, having dropped below their 200-day moving average:

Note the ticker symbol: GPS

Yes, beware indeed!

But just for fun, I'll toss in a couple of cheery pics:

interesting list.. I used to work for one of those listed companies, never realized the Hobby connection.

I wish I was using my ice storm-shut in time as wisely as you
Lol that's funny, if I had the time I'd chart out a cap weighted Hobby Index performance vs S&P.

How long until the I-shares Hobby ETF comes out
I wish I was using my ice storm-shut in time as wisely as you Originally Posted by Chung Tran
Can't get down my driveway without busting my ass. Flight cancellation forced me to cancel an appointment and a date. I'm open to alternatives!
Lol that's funny, if I had the time I'd chart out a cap weighted Hobby Index performance vs S&P.

How long until the I-shares Hobby ETF comes out Originally Posted by SpiceItUp
Awesome! If I have time next week, I'm loading these on Bloomberg and running a comparison vs the S&P.
someone should do a comparison of a Hobby ETF with the Vanguard social-index fund (FTSE)... the relative performance chart could serve as a bellweather for the National mood!
There's a research firm that has a Vice Index that uses spending on alcohol and prostitutes to predict retail spending.

http://www.businessinsider.com/south...ds-pce-2013-10
Damn, and I've just been wasting my ice weekend re-painting the living room. Let's not forget about TCB = TCF Financial Corp, BGG = Briggs and Stratton, and since many ladies have this as part of their names, XOXO = XO Group, Inc. I'd also suggest that the hobbyist portfolio go short on Lariat Energy and Standard Chartered... LE will only cause problems and nobody wants STD.
I'd also suggest that the hobbyist portfolio go short on Lariat Energy and Standard Chartered... LE will only cause problems and nobody wants STD. Originally Posted by NeedABreather
I think I'll stick to long-term put options with those... with my luck, Law Enforcement would run up the stock prices, force a margin call on my portfolio, and I would end up with no hobby cash!