So is Ulbricht's life sentence deserved?

I have mixed feelings about the trial of Ross Ulbricht, who created the Silk Road.

Without going into detail, and so we don't break any of the nuclear rules, I'm not sure that a life sentence is deserved. I've read the articles.

And I understand that Judge Forrest wanted to make an example of this person.

However, I rather thought that the whole secretive website, having to figure out TOR, and using bitcoins for currency, was an intriguing concept. And for awhile, I was VERY interested in trying out bitcoins for our little underground world here.

He will probably get an appeal. But do you think that he should remain in prison for life?

Just curious as to the opinions of others.

Thanks,
Elisabeth
I have mixed feelings about the trial of Ross Ulbricht, who created the Silk Road.

Without going into detail, and so we don't break any of the nuclear rules, I'm not sure that a life sentence is deserved. I've read the articles.

And I understand that Judge Forrest wanted to make an example of this person.

However, I rather thought that the whole secretive website, having to figure out TOR, and using bitcoins for currency, was an intriguing concept. And for awhile, I was VERY interested in trying out bitcoins for our little underground world here.

He will probably get an appeal. But do you think that he should remain in prison for life?

Just curious as to the opinions of others.

Thanks,
Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Ingenious and creative....no doubt.
Illegal? Yes
He knew the stakes going in. But like most criminals, the reason they do things is they think they can beat the "Rap".
Sorry. He's shit out of luck. It seems he wanted to be a "pioneer" in coming up with a new, and possibly fool proof way to ply his trade while making millions.
He got what he wanted. He is a pioneer in a different manner, maximum sentencing.
My first reaction was that it was an extraordinarily harsh sentence but I don't know the extent of his crimes or charges. I wonder if anyone here is nervous.
Ingenious and creative....no doubt.
Illegal? Yes
He knew the stakes going in. But like most criminals, the reason they do things is they think they can beat the "Rap".
Sorry. He's shit out of luck. It seems he wanted to be a "pioneer" in coming up with a new, and possibly fool proof way to ply his trade while making millions.
He got what he wanted. He is a pioneer in a different manner, maximum sentencing. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Good reasoning. I can certainly see your point of view. And perhaps my reasoning, why I question it, is that he's pretty young. At any rate, he HAS been a naughty boy, so to speak.

My first reaction was that it was an extraordinarily harsh sentence but I don't know the extent of his crimes or charges. I wonder if anyone here is nervous. Originally Posted by gnadfly
This is what I thought. Just a really harsh sentence. But then, there was something about a few people getting killed? I didn't read that part very closely, I'll admit. So with you, there could be more that I'm missing about this case.

I don't know why anyone "here" would be nervous, though. Personally, I've never known anyone that actually bought something on the Silk Road.

But the whole idea, and even the name, was very ingenious.

I've also been intrigued by bitcoins, and alternative currency. As of now, I'm not so keen on bitcoins, but I'm sure another type of something similar will show up soon enough.
He was just another dealer (of unspeakable things) of epic proportions. Just like the head of a cartel.
He was just another dealer (of unspeakable things) of epic proportions. Just like the head of a cartel. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Wasn't really like that at all if you have been reading and following the case. I also wouldn't call it 'epic' since it was roughly $200 million over a three-year period. The mexican cartels make over $50 Billion a YEAR.
Yeah, "cartels"...plural. This guy is one man. Besides when it comes to (forbidden topic), anything over a million is epic to me.
Yeah, "cartels"...plural. This guy is one man. Besides when it comes to (forbidden topic), anything over a million is epic to me. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Who are you kidding, you'd be over the moon with 6 inches