computer HELP PLEASE

I finally got me a new laptop...but now I am sooo frustrated I can't see straight. I am with computers.
It was brand new they said I had to set up everything, install anything I wanted, needed... I am thinking ok, no problem..WRONG!!

I keep getting ALL kinds of pop ups... from
*find a bride
*optimizer pro
*pc health kit
etc.
It'll open up a new tab with one of these everytime I try to go someone on a page, I am scared to go through with anything and install, bc I caught a virus on my last computer... HELP

Can someone please help me tell me what I need to do to get this thing up and going correctly...
If you can try to perform a restore. If it is brand new you should choose the restore point as the day you got the new laptop.
ummm??? how do i do that
and where is the pop up blocker, i heard there was one on the computer ??
What operating system are you running, what antivirus is installed and what web browser do you use?
Download and run from download.com. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should root out most trojans, viruses, malware on your PC.
mmmm all I know is it is an hp laptop, windows 8 I have firefox and chrome on here, free trial of norton
Are you sure it's new? Most if the programs sound standard (that I remove) but if it came with "find a bride" that's very suspicious.

If you got it from a "friend" be careful - they could be tracking everything you put on the computer. When I see ISOs in exchange of services I always hope nobody bites because you could be set up for a major mess.
You may have to bring it back and tell them it has a bunch of intrusive software and tell them to remove it. You should us chrome ... firefox very vulnerable to this attack software.

If you get 'windows' telling you that you need to update your browser, flash, your media player ... etc .. don't do it. That is the way these things get on your hard drive in the first place.

If the store gave you recovery disks ... or the OS on CD / DVD ... do a long format and install the OS from the beginning. Pain in the ass, but it provides a fresh start.
You also may want to install ad blocker plus from the Firefox ad-on site.
You also may want to install ad blocker plus from the Firefox ad-on site. Originally Posted by red14me
Yep. ABP is good. Firefox is a buggy bitch sometimes. Chrome can be an ass too. Just take a breath and go thru the extensions/plugins and choose the top rated one and you'll be fine.
Sadly, when buying a new computer, most retail stores want to charge you to clean and erase all sorts of pre-loaded garbage that is packaged from the device manufacturer and sadly, they have a tool that does it quickly but won't run it unless you pay.

As others have noted, Malware bytes is awesome. That will help clean out most of the crap but then you may still have other issues that need removed.

Sadly, you are probably going to have to have someone who knows what they are doing take a look at it for you.

A great tool that a former roommate of mine showed me that can check out all sorts of goodies on the machine is BelArc Advisor.

I run that and save the report and one nice thing it does is give you all the keys needed for software on the machine if you ever need to re-install something.
Yeah I will throw in a second nod for BelArc advisor.
To remove malware/viruses I can recommend three free tools that clear about 99% of all malware.

Free versions of them are available and fully functional for scanning and cleaning.

http://www.avast.com

http://www.malwarebytes.org

Follow it up with this free tool: http://techsupportall.com/Adware-Removal-Tool.exe

I would be real surprised if you had any malware/virus issues after running those three. The just use control panel / programs and features to remove any apps/software that was installed that you do not want.
  • modus
  • 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Was it a brand new computer or previously owned? It'll help to know what operating system is on it too.
go to file hippo (http://www.filehippo.com/) and download the first 3 recommended files under popular software (CCleaner, FireFox, and Avast!). Run and update all 3 programs and it will clean your computer.

Whatever you do, don't take it anywhere and pay someone to do it, it's such an easy fix, save your money,