graduation, my niece, and a jetta

My niece is graduating, headed to college, recently got a drivers license and a part time job to save for a car. Being cool uncle jonny utah as a graduation gift I bought her a 2006 jetta Wolfsburg edition . I had it safety checked, replaced battery, brakes, tires and had it detailed. It looks, drives, runs and smells great. I took it to her Sunday as a surprise after telling her dad what I was up to and that is when it got wierd. In few words she told me she didn't want it and wanted a 2 door car. I said wow, ok, wished her luck and drove it back to my house. No good deed...right. it is now for sale I have 5k into it and has 105k miles.
Sounds like Hobby Funds
Thank you Niece.
Wow!! That is extremely rude and obnoxious on the part of your niece. She's well old enough to accept a gift graciously and kindly, and to say thank you Uncle. You're so generous. My mother raised me better than that, I would have gotten in so much trouble. And even at a spoiled 18, I would never be so rude and unkind and hurt someone close to me. And she's not smart. Why didn't she take it and sell it or trade it in for a coupe?
My baby niece graduated Friday, and all I could give her was a card with 300 dollars in it. And she acted like she'd won the lottery and thanked me perfusly. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I don't think I'd be getting her any more gifts. I know a girl who is in the market for a car. She could have easily sold it. What are you asking for it? You can PM me if you don't want to say in a public forum, please.
My friend has almost exactly 5K to spend on a car. Is that what you're asking? She totaled hers by driving into a flooded street a couple weeks ago, with all that rain we had.
Johnny.....talk about going beyond the call of duty.....what a generous and thoughtful gift. You really are a terrific uncle....bravo, sir.

As for your niece....smh. Hope she learns from this...really. Just can't imagine a 17- 18 year old kid rejecting a gift such as this. Maybe it's a generational thing.....at that age I'd have done back flips over such a gesture. My folks would've buried me behind the barn had I said such a thing to a family member.
A lot of kids nowadays are so disrespectful to adults and authority, rude, unappreciative with sense of entitlement. I blame the parents!
  • BLM69
  • 06-09-2016, 09:47 AM
A lot of kids nowadays are so disrespectful to adults and authority, rude, unappreciative with sense of entitlement. I blame the parents! Originally Posted by samantha thom
I agree but kids are selfish until they snap out of it.
Hopefully her parents will not contribute in any way to helping her with transportation. What a brat!! I bet there are lots of gals on her who would buy it. Just don't self finance :-)
Boy, that would chap my ass. It's just mind boggling that people can be that stupid. Somehow I suspect, though it may not be any consolation to you, that there will come a day when she'd be damn grateful to have that nice a car. And that day will probably come very quickly is she continues to be so pig headed.
Hell I wish someone gave me a car at seventeen, especially one like what you described. she has no idea how good she has it right now but she will realize that when she have to buy one for herself.
A lot of kids nowadays are so disrespectful to adults and authority, rude, unappreciative with sense of entitlement. I blame the parents! Originally Posted by samantha thom
Dead on, parents are to blame as well as the f*c*ed up world we live in, kids for years have become selfish, entitled, rude and very lazy(at least the majority, I do know a few decent kids)hell my niece is in her thirties and like this, very sad.

Mr Utah great thing you did to be treated like that, me personally would have nothing to do with her ever again.
That's why she is clueless, because some uncle bought her a car for graduation. Most kids get a card and some money.
Sorry to hear Jonny. Such a shame and her loss.
Hopefully she will wisen up with age she and see what a great gesture you were doing.

Reminds me of this old video:
https://youtu.be/TFMs2w9Qexg
I'm with the niece on this one.

She wasn't born selfish. She learned that from someone. There are unintended clues to who taught her from your post. You couldn't be bothered to find out what she wanted. You weren't close enough to her to know that if she didn't get exactly what she wanted she would reject it (this can't have been the first time this has happened). You didn't buy this for her. You did it for yourself. To be the cool uncle she would brag to her cute friends about. You were selfish.

The interesting thing is that your brother (or brother-in-law) didn't seen to know either; that she was very specific about the kind of car she wanted. Or maybe he did and thought it would be entertaining to sit back and watch what would happen.

Sure, she could have taken the car and sold it. But I admire the in your face rejection. She couldn't be bothered with a 10 year old car that, despite what you may have put into, was probably not worth more than a couple of thousand.
  • BLM69
  • 06-10-2016, 01:03 AM
We'll see if taking the bus beats that 10 year old car, I'll beat the parents will give in and buy her the newer coupe she wants before that.