Who's The Best Rock Group In The World?

Who's the best rock group in the world, and why? What's their best work?

OK, this used to be a simple question. In the 60's, you had Beatles/Stones/Who (pick your order). In the 70's, Zep and everyone who wanted to be Zep. 80's had Petty, R.E.M. and U2. 90's had Radiohead. The first decade of this century had....well, it beats the hell out of me.

While you may not agree with some of the above groups (especially considering all the different types of rock there are), everyone pretty much knew who the best were. Today, I have no clue. I know Arcade Fire just won a grammy, and I like Florence + The Machine, but beyond that there's just a lot of sameness.

So assume I just came out of a 15-year coma. Who would you tell me to check out immediately and say "they're the best out there right now?" Thanks.
Question is, what is rock? Beatles could be considered pop. Zep could be Hard rock. REM: alternative. U2 Pop/Rock. Radiohead could even be considered emo. If rock to you is just bands with guitars playing 4/4 hits, then I love The Beatles. But there are so many subdivisions of rock. Punk? Green Day. Alternative? Barenaked Ladies. Ska? Mighty Might Bosstones. Rockabilly? Reverend Horton Heat.
Good question TexasT

Sad to say Rock is a dying genre.

Acording to a Yahoo poll these are the winners for 2010-

Arcadia Fire
Soundgarden
My Chemical Romance
Neon Trees

Of the 2000-2010 time I'm guessing these are kinda Rock
Green Day
Foo Fighters
Linkin Park
Muse

check em out and see what you think
The White Stripes and The Black Keys.
Funny you should mention the Stripes, Matchingmole. They just announced their official breakup this week, which is what prompted this thread. I thought for the last five years, The Stripes and Green Day were the two best.
How do the stripes break up? Are they not brother and sister.
Nope. They were married. That was press a stunt/rumor.
Feck Rock and all its sub-categories. Let's just name the best band/artist in the world regardless of musical genre. And that's an easy one for me(h): Lawrence feckin' Welk, yo! They don't call him the creator of Dealth Polka for nothin'! Bring da noize!

IMHO, and I am just me, a chic and all, but my favorite band is NIN.
Seen them 9 times, and then I am also a huge Primus fan.
And I love my classic rock, my 1st concert, I was 5 years old, and it was
the "Rolling Stones" here in Houston. and there are so many, I could do this for days, and what about Beastie Boys, Depeche Mode, Rage Against the machine, Ministry....
IMHO, and I am just me, a chic and all, but my favorite band is NIN.
Seen them 9 times, and then I am also a huge Primus fan.
And I love my classic rock, my 1st concert, I was 5 years old, and it was
the "Rolling Stones" here in Houston. and there are so many, I could do this for days, and what about Beastie Boys, Depeche Mode, Rage Against the machine, Ministry.... Originally Posted by bestoralntexas
Uhhh...marry me?
The Mt. Rushmore Four. Not only a great Rock Group, but they always keep straight faces despite being stoned.

Seriously, I don't even know which bands are on earth. When I discovered Evanescence thinking they were "new" they'd been broken up for quiet a while. I only found them when someone sent me this link in an email (still love the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtsWxUCsZ2Q

How about Godsmack? Are they still around? I've got some of their stuff on the ipod with floyd, stones, zeplin, etc.
I liked the bands that weren't played on the radio so much...in the 70's Little Feat gave the best, rockin' concerts...also liked AC/DC...top 10 all time rock song from them: You Shook Me, All Night Long!
yeah baby...
I'm kinda' likin' Shinedown and Cage The Elephant right now.
Def Leopard and Kiss and Journey.
Stones, AC/DC, Tom Petty