HELP! Girlfriend's 98 Honda Civic EX misfired, died, still dead...

Some other stuff happened with the car, but that's the gist...

Can I bring it to your shop and get it back on the road? Better yet, can you come take a look at it?

Yesterday wouldn't be too soon...

It would mean the world to me & I would love to express my gratitude for your help.

The best ways to reach me are in my signature block.

~sweetness~
Sounds kind of like a slipped timing belt or chain, maybe broken.

If the belt/chain has never been replaced that could be the problem.
Sounds kind of like a slipped timing belt or chain, maybe broken.

If the belt/chain has never been replaced that could be the problem. Originally Posted by bojulay
I thought the same and if so depending on valves and number of times cranked trying to start...yeah good luck on same day or quickie repair.

Timing belts & chains -- big concerns.

The difference between them:

Timing belts can be changed without too much trouble. About every 80,000 miles is a good rule of thumb to go by.
Usually found in newer cars and trucks.

Timing chains though, can be much more difficult. It requires digging deep into the motor. Can be done but expensive and labor intensive.

When they're replaced, the timing will have to be reset and adjusted.

The valves will be another source of issues. If they're out of sync, it's a major problem. As they lower and raise, the belt / chain will likely have too much slack due to stretching, causing it to snap apart in pieces and catch in the valves which will be the absolute death of the motor.

You may be better off selling the car to someone who will buy it for scrap or parts. It won't matter by then. Just have it hauled away and get paid what you can get out of the deal.

As cars get older and mileage racks up, the inevitable usually happens.

I'm truly hoping it's not a worst case scenario.

• BLM69
  • 10-08-2015, 10:34 PM

Timing belts & chains -- big concerns.

The difference between them:

Timing belts can be changed without too much trouble. About every 80,000 miles is a good rule of thumb to go by.
Usually found in newer cars and trucks.

Timing chains though, can be much more difficult. It requires digging deep into the motor. Can be done but expensive and labor intensive.

When they're replaced, the timing will have to be reset and adjusted.

The valves will be another source of issues. If they're out of sync, it's a major problem. As they lower and raise, the belt / chain will likely have too much slack due to stretching, causing it to snap apart in pieces and catch in the valves which will be the absolute death of the motor.

You may be better off selling the car to someone who will buy it for scrap or parts. It won't matter by then. Just have it hauled away and get paid what you can get out of the deal.

As cars get older and mileage racks up, the inevitable usually happens.

I'm truly hoping it's not a worst case scenario.

. Originally Posted by Shea Veile
The valves become a issue only if it's a interference engine, that model has a timing belt and believe it's a non-interference engine meaning the pistons will not damage the valves or the head in case the timing belt broke.

The valves become a issue only if it's a interference engine, that model has a timing belt and believe it's a non-interference engine meaning the pistons will not damage the valves or the head in case the timing belt broke. Originally Posted by biglatinmale

Good to know!

I have an American car with a timing chain. It's a few years younger than the one mentioned.

Good to know!

I have an American car with a timing chain. It's a few years younger than the one mentioned.

Originally Posted by Shea Veile
Wow!! A lady that knows her engines.......That's hot.
The valves become a issue only if it's a interference engine, that model has a timing belt and believe it's a non-interference engine meaning the pistons will not damage the valves or the head in case the timing belt broke. Originally Posted by biglatinmale
If it is non interference then that is good news indeed! (i have my doubts though)
The op can find a shade tree or shop who can likely do it in a few hours. The good with Honda I have found in the past is clearly marking TDC for both cam and crank. (being 180 is incredibly frustrating....like kick over tool box...haymakers at the air..cry...then start over frustrating)
The 98 civic IS an interference engine. At low rpms the honda 1.6 sometimes survives. You should have it looked at by a reputable pro who can do a video inspection or leak down (compression test) before installing belt for about $100. Hope for the best but you're looking at over a grand plus machine shop expenses to repair. $1500.00 easy with the tensioner,water pump, antifreeze, and oil change.
Prior to the final start-up and dying of this engine, some other stuff happened, as I mentioned in the OP... the oil was changed, and all of the following were replaced with new: distributor cap, spark plugs, fuel & oil filters.

Here's the storyboard behind the current issue (still dead):
1. Car was running fine, then it wasn't... misfiring.
2. Above mentioned maintenance was performed.
3. Car started one time with no improvement
4. Then it didn't start again... Cranks. Won't start.
5. There she sits, in the driveway, 1/4 of the year has passed and there she has sat.

Best guess on my end, without a diagnostic tool: Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement
Estimated cost: FAR less than $1500.

The car is waiting for a savior and my girlfriend is waiting for a hero in 75218...

Can we work something out & get my girl back on the road soon?

Best contact methods in my signature block.

~sweetness~

Easy Auto Diagnostics

5 pages of info

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-index/ckp-cmp-sensor-basics-1

Troubleshoot My Vehicle

3 pages of info

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/honda/1.6L/how-to-test-a-no-start-condition-1

RockAuto Parts Catalog

** I've ordered from these guys in the past. Never any issues!

Keywords: Honda 1998 Civic 1.6L L4 SOHC Ignition Crankshaft Position Sensor

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7196

Parts Geek Catalog

Good cross reference & alternative

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/crank_position_sensor/honda/civic.html

Civic Forums

Discussion & Advice

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/21...on-sensor.html

How to Replace the Crankshaft Sensor on a '98 Honda Civic EX

http://www.ehow.com/how_8640084_replace-98-honda-civic-ex.ht

Another How To Guide -- With Pictures Too

http://my.prostreetonline.com/2014/08/07/service-honda-civic-crank-position-sensor/

I don't have the tools and resources to do it but I would be over there in a heartbeat to help.

I don't have the tools and resources to do it but I would be over there in a heartbeat to help.
Originally Posted by Shea Veile
I am totally visualizing you bending over to check my sensor for me and realizing that you don't have the proper tools... Maybe you could try it with just your fingers.

Thanks for all of your help, sweetie. I do appreciate you.
98 shit
Shea talk dirty engine talk to me until I cum !
I'm going to assume that all of the work was double checked after the initial failure. If not, that's the first place to start.