winter tire rip off grr

This is highway robbery they quoted me 780 for "cheap decent" tires on my hobby car and $200 to seal the bottom. I normally dgaf about my hobby cars but I fell in love with this one and had it driven up from Florida.I have been driving my old hobby car more than my new SUV which should say something about how much I love it. When I asked about my SUV they said 220 a tire for "cheap decent"....what a rip off ....that is sitting winter out...
Autumn made a Joke that I should do "buy my tires" specials and do 220 90 minute dates to the first 8 guys that book me lmao. Not a half bad idea. Haha
My big fear is getting "cheap decent" tires and having them really suck.
Does it make a huge difference?
Yes there is a difference in tires but I buy the cheapest stuff there is and I never have an issue. More tire damage is from not checking the air. Aluminum wheels most always leak some. The last set I bought went 65,000 miles with no problem and they were the cheap ones. The old bias ply cheap tires would flat spot if the car sat long periods of time but would smooth out after a few miles. You can't even buy Bias tires anymore as far as I know. The new radials don't have that problem. Anybody else remember RETREADS? . good luck...BD
Yes there is a difference in tires but I buy the cheapest stuff there is and I never have an issue. More tire damage is from not checking the air. Aluminum wheels most always leak some. The last set I bought went 65,000 miles with no problem and they were the cheap ones. The old bias ply cheap tires would flat spot if the car sat long periods of time but would smooth out after a few miles. You can't even buy Bias tires anymore as far as I know. The new radials don't have that problem. Anybody else remember RETREADS? . good luck...BD Originally Posted by ben dover
Retreads lol yes I used a lot of them back in the day on my winter cars.
Yes Lexxy good tires are a big diff……but shop around.
Tire Rack online.

Dunn Tire in WNY used to say they would match any online price.

Not sure that is true any longer.

That joint on William St. in the ghetto is pretty cheap. Can't remember the name. Mister Tire, maybe.
Just make sure that what you are getting is a "Winter" Tire. I've had cars with "All Season" tires that quite frankly weren't worth a damm in the Snow. I used to buy Blizzak Tires for my current car. But for some reason the price on them jumped up about $60.00 when I needed to buy them last time around. I ended up buying the cheaper Primewell brand tire instead. As this will be my first Winter with them. I guess I'll find out how good they are.
Tire Rack online.

That joint on William St. in the ghetto is pretty cheap. Can't remember the name. Mister Tire, maybe. Originally Posted by jokacz
William St, I think you refer to Fox Tire. I've heard some of y'all bad mouth them, and if any of the Buffalo guys have feedback on Fox Tire I'd like to hear it. Currently I go there because of a family commitment but I wonder about them.
Tire Rack online.

That joint on William St. in the ghetto is pretty cheap. Can't remember the name. Mister Tire, maybe. Originally Posted by jokacz
William St, I think you refer to Fox Tire. I've heard some of y'all bad mouth them, and if any of the Buffalo guys have feedback on Fox Tire I'd like to hear it. Currently I go there because of a family commitment but I wonder about them. Originally Posted by JohnnyCap
Bought quite a few "take-offs" from Fox back in my UB days. Got 4 Uniroyal Tiger Paws for $100, almost new, just swapped old for new, wheels & all. Had to conserve $ for the beer, you know!
good yet cheap

http://www.tireboy.com/shop/

ultra cheap yet good
http://www.topix.com/yp/rochester-ny...rs-tire-outlet
used from car wrecks/scraped and recaps
William St, I think you refer to Fox Tire. I've heard some of y'all bad mouth them, and if any of the Buffalo guys have feedback on Fox Tire I'd like to hear it. Currently I go there because of a family commitment but I wonder about them. Originally Posted by JohnnyCap
I can't complain. I got a good price. Didn't need them to mount and balance, I can do it myself. It would be easy to see them take advantage of their customers given the nature of their clientele. They sell a lot of big stupid rims to pimps and PT dealers. Easy come, easy go.
its not unheard of pricing
maybe they figured you needed 10 ply's?

maybe they didnt want your business?

who the fuck knows?

go somwhere else..
Luv my snuger daddy

Lexxxi,

I don't know how fussy you are or if you insist on new tires, but junk yards have tires dirt cheap. They take them off wrecks and cars that are being scrapped, and just because the car was totaled or being scrapped doesn't mean, in most instances, the tires are no good,

Just my two cents.

TD
what type and size were they quoting you? I have used Winterforce tires on all my vehicles for the last 20 or so years. Much cheaper than Blizzaks
I guess I'm becoming old and stingy, i got pms of people getting quoted higher and when i called Sears they quoted me even higher and only carried one brand for my hobby car. Wtf? I'm just set in my ways i miss paying 500 for 4 tires.
Can i pay it? In a heart beat. Do i want to? NO WAY!
I may bite the bullet and drive all the way to Buffalo to get them if i can find a better deal. I called around to local shops about buying them online and having then put the tires on they all pretty much said no or pay through the nose unless i buy their tires.
fox tire was brought up here and in a few pms so I'm calling them tomorrow.
We got pounded with snow and wind yesterday, i saw a ton of accidents and semis off the road on 60 . i just heard we are getting hit hard again Tuesday through Wednesday night so i need to get my ass in gear and pick a place tomorrow because I'm heading to Ohio for Thanksgiving with my baby niece in the car so I'm concerned about safety.
I did learn a lot today about tires though that's for sure. I need narrow snow tires and 4 of them because of having a v8 and traction control i never knew it mattered. This is only my 2nd winter driving an automatic with auto traction control so I'm super nervous, i feel like i have Less control with an automatic.