What constitutes trolling in the hobby world?

Would that be somebody who messages you for nine years without ever actually scheduling?
Perhaps someone who comments under everyone of your posts and reviews, again without scheduling?
Or C, all of the above
Option D - Don't continue to text if meeting hasn't happened in about 2-3 months max since the initial contact. If you are engaging in messaging for 9 years in hope of meeting, it's on you.
C, though id say it sounds more like stalking than trolling
You're not going to schedule him at this point, anyway. Can you not just put him on Ignore and not let him trouble you? Neither he nor your time should consume any mental energy on your part.
9 years? Sheesh.
There are many definitions of a troll, and there are many trolls on this board, some more trollish than others. As far as someone sending you a bunch of PMs for a certain amount of time, it depends on what is said in those PMs. My trolls, with the exception of a couple, cannot PM me as I have them on ignore.

I think that the biggest definition of a troll IMO, is someone who follows your posts most of the time to either RTM them so that the mod interpreted guidelines would somehow be violated and of course, the ones that seem to always make a thread that you post on topic on, about you with their negative baiting comments usually in order to get a reaction.

So, someone who follows or even has your posts followed, for whatever their rationale is, is definitely a troll. This post should get a troll or two of mine to post below. Perhaps even quoting me on how they are in the right for constantly quoting me with belittling comments.

There is a guideline called cyber stalking which again, is mod interpreted. But honestly, if that is not cyber stalking, then there is something wrong with that guideline interpretation.
Would that be somebody who messages you for nine years without ever actually scheduling?
Perhaps someone who comments under everyone of your posts and reviews, again without scheduling?
Or C, all of the above Originally Posted by DallasBella
There's a lot of "it depends" in this scenario.

Are they being complementary in their comments of your reviews? Are they messaging you asking various questions without ever attempting to book? Are they attempting to book but timing just never works out?

All of these would be the defining line between a troll, a timewaster, and just bad alignment.
There's a lot of "it depends" in this scenario.

Are they being complementary in their comments of your reviews? Are they messaging you asking various questions without ever attempting to book? Are they attempting to book but timing just never works out?

All of these would be the defining line between a troll, a timewaster, and just bad alignment. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
Time wasting is a weird thing. Try to sell a motorcycle or something on craigslist and you will experience it for yourself.

Something about human nature.
Time wasting is a weird thing. Try to sell a motorcycle or something on craigslist and you will experience it for yourself.

Something about human nature. Originally Posted by Eliot_Spitzer
Heh-- I'm getting ready to move and have a lot of things listed online- It has been such a nightmare that I swear in the future, I'm just going to throw it all on the lawn and light it on fire rather than do this again.
  • BLM69
  • 08-27-2024, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't call it trolling if you're engaging
I wouldn't call it trolling if you're engaging Originally Posted by BLM69
That depends upon what type of engagement you're talking about.

Posting about honest hobby Intel and stating your opinion on hobby subjects is one thing, but when mostly all you posts are about a member or when they post on topic on a thread, you have to quote them and throw in your agenda laden personal digs, you are a troll, Even if you're engaging by having them respond with the individual your targeting.
  • BLM69
  • 08-29-2024, 03:28 PM
That depends upon what type of engagement you're talking about.

Posting about honest hobby Intel and stating your opinion on hobby subjects is one thing, but when mostly all you posts are about a member or when they post on topic on a thread, you have to quote them and throw in your agenda laden personal digs, you are a troll, Even if you're engaging by having them respond with the individual your targeting. Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote
I was talking about the OP engaging in a 9 year back and forth conversation with the potential client, if I worried about what people said or think about my opinions, I'll be screwed, good thing I don't GAF what others say/think about my hobby adventures, you shouldn't either
I was talking about the OP engaging in a 9 year back and forth conversation with the potential client, if I worried about what people said or think about my opinions, I'll be screwed, good thing I don't GAF what others say/think about my hobby adventures, you shouldn't either Originally Posted by BLM69
I do not care, but others do. The same thing applies to you and me both. We have people who follow our posts just to RTM them and the mods point us due to having an opinion that is not go along to get along. That is why you and I continually get 90 day point bans!
Heh-- I'm getting ready to move and have a lot of things listed online- It has been such a nightmare that I swear in the future, I'm just going to throw it all on the lawn and light it on fire rather than do this again. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
Not to sidetrack the thread but one of my friends moved after living 30 years in a big 2 story colonial that used to house their kids as well, to a nice, bayside modern home.

He told me they were moving and I told him how happy I was but not to even suggest I help with moving.

He said "We are already done - just a few suitcases - we'll get new stuff when we get there."

I was stunned, then he said they just had an estate sale and walked away from all of their life's collection.

Think about it, we have already decided that's our next move too.
You're not going to schedule him at this point, anyway. Can you not just put him on Ignore and not let him trouble you? Neither he nor your time should consume any mental energy on your part. Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
i agree! block all incoming msgs/calls/emails from the person and ignore the person on web boards.

it's akin to saying something after you say "no." that gives the other person a chance to quibble, distract, argue, etc.

as much as i didnt care for nancy reagan and ronald's policies, she was right on when she said "just say NO".