The REAL Lie of the Year Award is given to ...

Though it comes as no surprise, the previously posted thread about PolitiFact's LIE of the YEAR for 2014 was an utter fabrication.

The real LIE of the YEAR, as selected by PolitiFact was the massive exaggerations by "pundits" about EBOLA, which stampeded the American public and threw the members of this forum into a froth about Obama (for a change.)

Sorry, folks, despite what was posted yesterday by one of our most notorious liars, this links to the TRUTH.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...s-about-ebola/

2014 Lie of the Year: Exaggerations about Ebola

By Angie Drobnic Holan, Aaron Sharockman on Monday, December 15th, 2014 at 3:08 p.m.

Falsehoods about Ebola are PolitiFact's 2014 Lie of the Year. (Reuters)

Thomas Eric Duncan left Monrovia, Liberia, on Sept. 19, for Dallas. Eleven days later, doctors diagnosed Duncan with Ebola.

Eight days after that, he was dead.

Duncan’s case is just one of two Ebola-related fatalities in the United States, and since Duncan traveled to Dallas, more Americans -- at least nine, and likely many more -- have died from the flu.

Yet fear of the disease stretched to every corner of America this fall, stoked by exaggerated claims from politicians and pundits. They said Ebola was easy to catch, that illegal immigrants may be carrying the virus across the southern border, that it was all part of a government or corporate conspiracy.

The claims -- all wrong -- distorted the debate about a serious public health issue. Together, they earn our Lie of the Year for 2014.

PolitiFact editors choose the Lie of the Year, in part, based on how broadly a myth or falsehood infiltrates conventional thinking. In 2013, it was the promise made by President Barack Obama and other Democrats that "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it." While no singular line about Ebola matched last year’s empty rhetoric about health care, the statements together produced a dangerous and incorrect narrative.

PolitiFact and PunditFact rated 16 separate claims about Ebola as Mostly False, False or Pants on Fire on our Truth-O-Meter in 2014. Ten of those claims came in October, as Duncan’s case came to the fore and as voters went to the polls to select a new Congress.

Fox News analyst George Will claimed Ebola could be spread into the general population through a sneeze or a cough, saying the conventional wisdom that Ebola spreads only through direct contact with bodily fluids was wrong.

"The problem is the original assumption, said with great certitude if not certainty, was that you need to have direct contact, meaning with bodily fluids from someone, because it’s not airborne," Will said. "There are doctors who are saying that in a sneeze or some cough, some of the airborne particles can be infectious." False.

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., described Ebola as "incredibly contagious," "very transmissible" and "easy to catch." Mostly False.

Internet conspirators claimed President Obama intended to detain people who had signs of illness. Pants on Fire. Bloggers also said the outbreak was started in a bioweapons lab funded by George Soros and Bill Gates. Pants on Fire.

A Georgia congressman claimed there were reports of people carrying diseases including Ebola across the southern border. Pants on Fire. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said Americans were told the country would be Ebola-free. False.

When combined, the claims edged the nation toward panic. Governors fought Washington over the federal response. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stumbled to explain details about transmission of the virus and its own prevention measures. American universities turned away people from Africa, whether they were near the outbreak or not.

"Americans spent March through July thinking that the outbreak was no threat at all, then from August to October, it was the apocalypse," said Stephen Gire, a researcher who has been to West Africa and is studying the Ebola genome at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. "And now in December, a year after the first case of Ebola infected a young Guinean, Americans are complaining that it was all ‘overhyped.’

"During this whole year, people in West Africa have been dying of Ebola at an increasing rate. We as Americans are so far removed from the reality of what is really going on."

From Liberia to Dallas, the facts

Duncan died at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Oct. 8, but that single event was months in the making.

Health workers identified Ebola in March in the West African country of Guinea and later in Sierra Leone and Liberia. The virus didn’t garner much attention from the United States at first. But by June, the international medical group Doctors Without Borders warned that efforts to contain the disease were failing.

A month later, two U.S. health care workers in Liberia became ill.

Their homecomings played out in front of a national television audience. News helicopters followed Dr. Kent Brantly’s ambulance on a half-hour ride through Atlanta, and watched as Brantly emerged in a protective suit, leaning on the arm of another health care worker.

Continue reading
  • WTF
  • 12-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Our righties were shit'n their diapers about Ebola...my how soon they forget what a mess they left!
Right you are. It took about 24 hours for them to turn it Into an all out attack on POTUS and, if I remember correctly, other members of ECCIE.

Those lies were quickly forgotten (or maybe ignored is a better term) by our Idiot contingent, even though virtually none of the claims were anywhere near the truth.
We'll never know how many lives were saved in the United States because of all the people here who spoke out against EBOLA.
This wasn't the first health scare that got blown out of proportion. Our media likes to create drama. If there's another ebola case in America we'll get to do it all over again.
[QUOTE=Yssup Rider;1056148917]Right you are. It took about 24 hours for them to turn it Into an all out attack on POTUS and, if I remember correctly, other members of ECCIE.

Those lies were quickly forgotten (or maybe ignored is a better term) by our Idiot contingent, even though virtually none of the claims were anywhere near the truth.[/QUOTE]

Ask him about his personal man-servant love, Assup Booty Thrower !

No !
Ask me about my personal man stalker/cum gut Assup Man Lover !
  • Old-T
  • 12-16-2014, 03:31 PM
We'll never know how many lives were saved in the United States because of all the people here who spoke out against EBOLA. Originally Posted by filbone
Based upon how much gravitas this board holds in the real world of important decisions idioms, I estimate the answer is 0 +/- .001
This might be as telling as any thread posted in this forum...

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=ebola
That's a pretty weird avatar Assup.

I think you need to take old One Eye to the optometrist.
Do you actually believe that it was the issue of Ebola that caused the republican sweep?
No, I dont, DL. But I do think it raised the anxiety level of the entire country, which sure makes it sound like a tactic.
We'll never know how many lives were saved in the United States because of all the people here who spoke out against EBOLA. Originally Posted by filbone
I think you might have been one of the loudest, shrillest, alarmists on this board at the time, man.

Did you get a flu shot?
I think you might have been one of the loudest, shrillest, alarmists on this board at the time, man. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
I was just using the same kind of logic the Obama-ites used when talking about all the jobs the stimulus saved (shovel-ready and all that).
Not a single lib-retarded jackass in this forum has explained or reconciled the hypocrisy of Odumbo's Ebola policy wherein Odumbo and his crew thinks Ebola is dangerous enough to require that service personnel NOT involved with Ebola patients be quarantined; yet, individuals in direct contact with Ebola patients were allowed willy-nilly to come and go as they damn well please?!?!?