Your opinion counts

Since we have gotten some comments, Do you care whether or not us mods comment when we accept or reject a review?
I look forward to feed back, either negative or positive.
When taken in consideration it helps us all become more considerate of each other and helps everyone enjoy this great hobby we are in.
Do you mean in the review status or in a post. Then not sure what a no or a yes implies.
Is a no I do not care, or do not do it.
A Mod may reply to a review for several reasons:
  • to provide feedback to a newer reviewer
  • to explain any editing that is done
  • to supply missing or to correct erroneous contact or factual information (and to appeal for better information next time)
  • to offer a polite "pat on the back"
This poll might not be able to differentiate among these, but individual replies might help.
  • Aguy
  • 07-30-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm also not sure of the meaning of yes and no here. I'll say go ahead and comment on the reviews.
Feedback is always good, so go ahead and feel free to comment on the reviews, after all, everyone else is free to comment on the reviews.
to provide feedback to a newer reviewer
I would think this has to be done at times. No matter how long a reviewer has been reviewing. Sometimes in a post, other times it may be better in the review status or in a PM.

to explain any editing that is done
If not in the review, then in a post. This is a good in both a review and a thread.{edit: xxxx}

to supply missing or to correct erroneous contact or factual information (and to appeal for better information next time)
If to fix a non working link to showcase, profile on another board, or website. Just do it if you can with a {edit: fixed link }. But if you can not, asking in a post is a must.

If you need to be a member of another board to view the providers profile on that board. The OP should state that right after the link. Does on come up alot, but has.

If she has a ad on a ad site. OP's please post in a review if she is not a member of a board, or does not have a web-site. Also a link is best when asking for information.

Phone or email: One or the other is a must.(unless her name is UTR) If she is not UTR some type of contact must be asked in a post. I am not a member of e.com, but if she wants PM at e.com(or any board), no phone or email. Then that has to be in one of the contact lines. If not there, then has to be asked in a post.

to offer a polite "pat on the back"
Some members do not like this. But if good/great, good info, fun/funny etc. review. I see no problem with it. If a mod or member liked the review alot, post it. If did great review, being told may help op to keep doing so. Good information, What wrong with saying so. As it may help member/provider keep from wasting time and money. And if a fun/funny review, and one injoyed it. what wrong with a "good story", or a "LOL". (the last review I did, I wanted to be funny. Lots of read, but few replies. Now I do not know what to think. was it or was it not)

Members that do not have Premium Access may want to remember if you see a lot of "thank you" posts. Something maybe being asked or stated in private. So something was posted to not have a blank post.
Attaboy's are always nice to see, helpful hints via post or pm can improve future posts, snarky remarks commenting on the lack of a mod comment is totally unnecessary at all times and another benefit of the "iggy" feature.
Attaboy's are always nice to see, helpful hints via post or pm can improve future posts, snarky remarks commenting on the lack(or to much and or to often) of a mod comment is totally unnecessary at all times and another benefit of the "iggy" feature. Originally Posted by Perryay
added note in red

cute ok snarky no LOL
Don't mind the feedback at all and see nothing wrong with it. Many times it adds more useful info.
I have an opinion on this too.

It usually hits me wrong when I see moderators make critical remarks toward a reviewer by posting out in the open for all to see. There's a better way to train folks what's right and wrong without making an example of them in front of the entire audience of readers. That's not meant to apply so much when it's constructive feedback presented in an encouraging way meant to genuinely help the member, though....

If any schooling or criticism regarding the quality of someone's review is actually necessary, I prefer that conversation take place in private (PMs)......and I think it's a safe assumption to say that anyone on the receiving end of such criticism would prefer it be handled that way too.

If the intention is to educate the readers as well as the reviewer, then I'd suggest picking the top 5-10 specific concerns you see coming up in the reviews and put together a general topic thread which addresses each of them and gives good guidance on review writing for all. I've seen this done in several areas of the country, and IMO a favorable alternative.

St. C
Mods are regular folks and entitled to post just as regular members do. They should be able to post their opinions and thoughts just like anyone else.

Having said that, moderators and admins should remember that they also represent the staff of Eccie. As such, the other members perceptions are often rooted in the fact that the member is a staff member. Unfortunately, that means they sometimes have to be keenly aware of the tone of their comments. That means, what you have to say as a staff member may be used against you in an undesirable way. Hence, they should be helpful to those who need some guidance and not insulting. It is the perfect opportunity to lead by example.

When it comes to fixing links, correcting info, editing out info that is too personal, closing a thread, etc.., there should be transparency. Every edit should be noted in that post stating the reason and who the staffer was that made the edit.

It is not rocket science. it is not even bottle rocket science. For those members who put the mods on a pedestal, you are doing them and yourselves a disservice. They are simply hobbyists who volunteer their time to keep the board running in a smooth and civil manner. Nothing more.
I dont mind the coments by mods or edits. They point out our slips. I said something in a thread that was a little out of line and Jack was nice enough to point it out to me in a PM. keep up the great work Mods. Just my 2 pennies. Ed
to provide feedback to a newer reviewer
I would think this has to be done at times. No matter how long a reviewer has been reviewing. Sometimes in a post, other times it may be better in the review status or in a PM. Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
I have an opinion on this too.

It usually hits me wrong when I see moderators make critical remarks toward a reviewer by posting out in the open for all to see. There's a better way to train folks what's right and wrong without making an example of them in front of the entire audience of readers. That's not meant to apply so much when it's constructive feedback presented in an encouraging way meant to genuinely help the member, though.... Originally Posted by St.Christopher
Mods are regular folks and entitled to post just as regular members do. They should be able to post their opinions and thoughts just like anyone else. Originally Posted by cpi3000
cpi: True, but as with just regular members some things better in PM. Or in another way, as in not for all to see.
  • Doove
  • 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
snarky remarks commenting on the lack of a mod comment is totally unnecessary at all times and another benefit of the "iggy" feature. Originally Posted by Perryay
Any examples?