Sex on TV

So in a previous thread, Mary asked if age mattered when seeking a provider, or if it was her maturity. The thread slowly has taken on a new topic: Sex mainstream on TV, whether its ads, shows or music videos.

My question is, has too much exposure to sex actually harmed our children? Seems like teen pregnancy rates are on the rise yet again. Is a cause do to over exposure to sex on TV? What are your thoughts, if your parents, how do you handle this?
That's a huge topic Brooke. Much of it beyond my knowledge. I'm sure there are studies that look at various narrow questions.

I'll limit this to just me and my narrow perspective. How has sex on TV, in the movies, etc., effected me?

I think it has made it much, much more difficult for me to be faithful.

The images of hot, sexy women acting like they want and seek out sex are powerful when considered as a never ending stream over many years.

To begin with, I'm a pretty visual person... I think most men are very sexually connected to what they see (more so then women? I'm not a woman so I can't answer that). I'm also very much a mental person. I spend a lot of time thinking through things and having conversations with myself (not in a wholly nutty way).

The combination, the cumulative effect leads me to want what I want and after enough time, to make the compromises with my principles to let myself go get it.

Had TV and movies stuck to the 50s and 60s sweet flirtation and sly suggestions, I "think" I may not have gone insane last year.
  • Dirk5
  • 08-19-2010, 08:46 AM
I would say that sex on TV, the easy access to internet and the fact that every 10 year old has a cell phone now makes it real easy for young kids to access sexual content or experience sexual things..

I myself agree with NormalBob, sex is EVERYWHERE, we all see it, I love it, you love it, it's our own personal willingness to take it to whatever level we want to. By that I mean, you could change the channel, look away, whatever it may be, or pursue more sexual things beyond whatever it was that sparked ones interests.

When sex is right there in front of you more and more often, if your old or young it's going to have an influence.

The direct influence I've experienced is that you can see whats out there, and as the saying goes "you won't know till you try it"..
My question is, has too much exposure to sex actually harmed our children? Seems like teen pregnancy rates are on the rise yet again. Is a cause do to over exposure to sex on TV? What are your thoughts, if your parents, how do you handle this? Originally Posted by BrookeButtons

Hmmm... lets see over exposure? To pretend sex/sexual activity does not exist would be wrong, repressive and harmful. To expose them too much could lead to overstimulated and desensitized detachment. As for TV it is only one aspect of media in general there are so many other sources as well so I don't think you can pin it down to just TV.

Overall I'd say its not just media at it's roots... To me it boils down to education. Sex education is a battle that the country has been fighting for decades and it's always had no clear answers. Cause America being the melting pot it is has so many cultures with so many views no one is more right than another's. People fight about Who's and what's and how much when it comes to teaching sex education. They fight about it in budgets and ethics committees. They fight about it in church/religious community groups. Mean while, kids do as they always do...Learn from experiences, experimentations, media, and friends and even family. Meanwhile sex education debate goes on its stalemate course and people all still learn eventually...some more informed than others based upon what I said before...experiences, experimentations, media, and friends and even family. I knew friends as a youth that had no TV yet they still knew what sex was. Because their parents educated them? From their friends? From experimenting?

Well based on these observations I can only say one thing to parents or people concerned about teen pregnancy...That is to be involved with sex education of the people that you are concerned with (i.e. family members)...Be open minded about sex education...Be brave, wise, and unafraid to talk about it openly at appropriate times with those you feel who can benefit from your experiences/wisdom. Debate but never chastise, repress, nor assume what is always right...But bottom line just be involved.
wlhrgfan,

Are you suggesting that parents are less suited to the task of teaching their kids about sex than the public schools or are you using the term "sex education" more broadly?
NB

you would make a great teacher
I think there's actually less sex on TV now, after the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction. TV is more PC than ever before, and it seems only cartoons can be risque. I was watching an old All in the Family the other day. They would never get away with that stuff today.
The internet on the other hand is a different story. How many of us would be hobbying if it wasn't for the internet. I know I wouldn't be driving around questionable neighborhood negotiating prices with a SW. How many providers would actually go out and sell it on the street? Thanks to the internet and the accessibility of sex, most of us don't.
I think there's actually less sex on TV now. Originally Posted by mwebber
Depends on what you mean by sex. I like the four shows "How I Met Your Mother", "Big Bang Theory", "Two and a Half Men" and the fourth show that runs in there with it.

"Wholesome" shows like "Glee" highlight a couple of cheerleaders who spread their legs for guys more than their coach asks them to do the splits.

These are prime time comedies that overflow with sex themes. Even Big Bang Theory which is excellently written focusing on four supreme geeks is loaded with sex themes.

On the off channels, you have shows like "Cheaters". The whole concept of competitive dating shows is well established ('The Bachelor') where they make a point of letting you know there's some competitive fucking taking place too. MTV reality shows....

I can't imagine there being more sexually oriented material a few years ago than now.

BTW, I'm not judging these shows because I enjoy watching most of them. I'm trying to accurately describe them.
President Bill Clinton taught all the youngsters that oral sex isn't really sex.....bet he never had to sit through a covered handjob...
President Bill Clinton taught all the youngsters that oral sex isn't really sex.....bet he never had to sit through a covered handjob... Originally Posted by buzzbomb
FINALLY THE PROOF!

A BBBJ must be safe or the secret service would have never let Monica get near him.
can only imagine the 'screening' process they put her through....and if you say bbbj are safe nb, i wholeheartily concur, but will continue research...
I'm not saying it... this was a Secret Service approved BBBJ. No way that pretty blue dress turns state's evidence if Lil Bill is covered. LOL!

By all means though... do the research.
you think they were in the room?
That bathroom was too small. They were pretty damn close though.
Two and a half men....love that show! And we all know Charlie Sheen isn't just inviting the numerous women over for a sleep over.

A covered hj @ $350 hr....hmmm I guess I wish I was half as beautiful so I could charge that and get away with it....but then again I wouldn't get off either . Guess I'll stick to covered fs. Might I just add a little tid bit...as of yet, almost embarking on a year, i have done bbbj's since day one and still have no STDS! yay party for me

So I have gathered this, there is definitely more options offered to us today as to learning about sex, viewing sex, and even making it easier to connect with either providers or hobbyist to have sex. Our world of TV, cable, internet and cell phones has made it almost impossible to get away from sex.

Being a parent has to be tough with teens today. I would think you would have to be more aware of your teens life, and making sure you keep the talks with them about sex. Many schools don't offer sex ed classes, and parents shouldn't have to depend on schools, churches or other parents to teach their children about "the birds and the bees".

In the end, we can't prevent kids from going out at prom and having sex, but I think we can at lease give them the condom, or put our daughter on birth control. This way we know, we've educated them, we've protected them and now its up to them to make the decision. I guess I rather know I crossed all my T's and dotted all my I's than to know in 9 months, at the age of 40...I'd be a grandma.

Thank god I don't have kids and don't plan on having any for the next 5-10 years! That's one boat I am not ready and not rushing to hop on.