Text Messaging!

Why the hell do some providers refuse or fail to respond to text messaging? I will occasionally ask a lady by text if she is available as I cannot leave every few minutes from my office to make private calls. I am not saying make the whole appointment by text (Although I have done that) but get the intros, timings and refs out of the way before we need to chat. Just think some of you ladies may be quite surprised how many "Lurkers" it will weed out and how many real appointments are then made. Just my .02c!
I wondered the same thing...Maybe there is a good reason, I just havent found it. Unless the lady doesnt have unlimited text. I do a lot through text and it has worked out great for me.
Text messages don't go away so unless you have a hobby phone with text capabilities this isn't something I would do on my smartphone. I prefer calling and making the appointment.
hell i used to get calls from friends that asked me why i never responded to text messages they sent me. i explained to them i have no use for text messages (i'm old school), don't even have them enabled on my phone. and if they want to talk to me just give me a call. problem solved.

until one of my atf's asked me the same thing. after explaining... she said 'get text messaging'. i promptly put my foot down, asserted my male dominance, and got text messaging enabled the next day.

i still hate it though.

JPdM
Text messages don't go away so unless you have a hobby phone with text capabilities this isn't something I would do on my smartphone. I prefer calling and making the appointment. Originally Posted by txcwby6
Just curious what kind of smartphone you have. My Blackberry has a delete key that makes a text message go away. And, wouldn't you do this from a hobby phone anyway?
I would just mention in passing that any message goes through a server and that all of your messages can be recovered, printed out and read aloud by your SO,SB or GF.
LOL< Yea, and deleting a file on your computer means its gone too. Not!! All those texts go through servers. Guess what gets backed up and archived on servers? Your little text message.

Back to the question. How long are you waiting for a reply message? Does her ad say text her as primary means of contact? If not, she may not be responding because you are not following directions.
Text messages don't go away so unless you have a hobby phone with text capabilities this isn't something I would do on my smartphone. I prefer calling and making the appointment. Originally Posted by txcwby6

He's quite correct. You may delete them from your phone, but the message remains forever and with very little effort a hard copy can be obtained by Leo and many agencies.
very funny

until one of my atf's asked me the same thing. after explaining... she said 'get text messaging'. i promptly put my foot down, asserted my male dominance, and got text messaging enabled the next day.

i still hate it though.

JPdM Originally Posted by Juan Pablo de Marco
An email takes the same amount of time as a text and easier, plus you can stay at your desk!!
a p411 request is just as easy(2 seconds)!!!
a pm thru Eccie is just as easy(your already on here looking)!!!

Bottom line its her business and if she doesn't want to answer your text because you didn't contact her like she wants you to, thats her right, RESPECT IT OR MOVE ON to a provider that is willing to receive text messages!!

for the record i answer text messages...wink*
hell i used to get calls from friends that asked me why i never responded to text messages they sent me.

JPdM Originally Posted by Juan Pablo de Marco
LOL i might resemble one of those friends
and you bet it would take an ATF to break down JP's male dominance LOL.

i have texting, also not a real big fan of it unless only a quick reply is needed otherwise i'll just call. i have a buddy who's a text freak and i get tired of having these ongoing text conversations. i know the dufus has an Apple Iphone so he can use a virtual keyboard while i have to peck out replies on a plain old cellphone keypad! Ugh!!!

in general you'd think more providers would use texts on their biz phones but i guess it's up to the individual. deleted text messages aren't retained on servers very long (30-90 days or so) but as noted they are backed up mostly for legal reasons, and stored on backups sometimes for years.

one frustrating thing i've encountered is that many carriers don't notify you that a person's phone won't accept texts, i think i've only had one buddy's phone state that and i have no idea who his carrier is. that of course can give you the false impression you're being ignored!
Heck, the phone account can be closed and still u would not know because the text message does not send back a failed to deliver message of any kind.
For me, it's simple. I'm blind. I don't wear my glasses for most of the day because well, I know where everything is and so I don't need my glasses. I can't read text messages unless I have my glasses and that usually means I have to find them.

A phone call is so much easier. Plus, it's faster and I can get all your information in one go.

Let's not forget that a texter can really be anyone. If I talk to you and your voice cracks, I might get a little suspicious. There was also that DJ who was texting BP ads to see what he could get women to agree to on the air. Really.

I have never been a fan of putting things in writing.

There you go, a few reasons for not texting.
For me, it's simple. I'm blind. I don't wear my glasses for most of the day because well, I know where everything is and so I don't need my glasses. I can't read text messages unless I have my glasses and that usually means I have to find them.

A phone call is so much easier. Plus, it's faster and I can get all your information in one go.

Let's not forget that a texter can really be anyone. If I talk to you and your voice cracks, I might get a little suspicious. There was also that DJ who was texting BP ads to see what he could get women to agree to on the air. Really.

I have never been a fan of putting things in writing.

There you go, a few reasons for not texting. Originally Posted by Dharma

And yet here you are on a text based internet forum 8-)
And yet here you are on a text based internet forum 8-) Originally Posted by argus256
True. But the only thing I'm admitting to is not text messaging
i dont mind texts from people i have already seen before, but for 1st time appts i like to hear a voice