Barter system, anyone?

Got to thinking about some of the things you ladies pay cash for that maybe us hobbiests could do for free... In exchange for your services. For instance, a lot of you girls move from time to time and with 4 or 5 rooms of furniture, you might be paying movers. Or, plumbing, electrical, computer work, photography, website design, etc.

Just wanted to throw this out here; might be some other things we guys could do. Your thoughts?
I'm going to step out on a limb and offer grooming services (a nice warm and attentive Kitty shave) to select providers...

(I'm such a giver...)

I'm actually interested to see how this plays out
I'm going to step out on a limb and offer grooming services (a nice Kitty shave) to select providers...

(I'm such a giver...)

Originally Posted by SD2011
I like u a lot but You are not coming near my kitty with a razor lol

I think it is a good idea. I have in the past reached out to members of my yahoo group when I am in need of services before I venture out on my own to have things done.

As a matter if fact I was just going to post ISO a idk contractor? Someone that could get and install some big mirrors in my incall bedroom on 3 walls (hey I like to watch myself from different angles) Lol I just was not sure about where to post such a request.
I like u a lot but You are not coming near my kitty with a razor lol

I think it is a good idea. I have in the past reached out to members of my yahoo group when I am in need of services before I venture out on my own to have things done.

As a matter if fact I was just going to post ISO a idk contractor? Someone that could get and install some big mirrors in my incall bedroom on 3 walls (hey I like to watch myself from different angles) Lol I just was not sure about where to post such a request. Originally Posted by Jules Jaguar
heheheheheh....

I've been nice to your kitty

lol
Got to thinking about some of the things you ladies pay cash for that maybe us hobbiests could do for free... In exchange for your services. For instance, a lot of you girls move from time to time and with 4 or 5 rooms of furniture, you might be paying movers. Or, plumbing, electrical, computer work, photography, website design, etc.

Just wanted to throw this out here; might be some other things we guys could do. Your thoughts? Originally Posted by Prolongus
I'll barter for cash. U.S. Currency please!
Business Services for Providers forum would seem a good place.
Darn. All those dinars I saved won't work for BSB. I'm crushed.

Prolongus, I think there is a lot of competition for computer work, web sites, photography, plumbing, electrical, and guys with trucks willing to help providers.

We are the BP of provider services.
OP,

On the surface this sounds good, but I think there's a can of worms underneath, which we should stay aware of.

Folks that are ATFs to each other, or have become friends in the hobby, would be ideal. I've got no problem with that. But in a scene where anonymity and discretion are paramount, I honestly believe less non-appointment encounters the better. Getting together to add other work, and therefore other relations just invites new risks.

Think about it, we can't even always get along in one business, the hobby, then try to imagine the reviews, and best business practices when plumbing, movers, electrical, etc. become connected to the hobby, especially in transaction. (Outside of photography for the hobby, or hobby websites, etc., which I get.)

What if the painting job is shoddy? The plumbing fix doesn't stick? One of the two parties tries to screw the other over, etc. Theres's no place for conflict resolution, and you know conflict will happen. (Can't go to small claims with hobby as a method of payment. I certainly don't want more crap in alerts about how, not only did someone get taken advantage of, but low-and-behold the floating Sheetrock job was shitty. Or, service was provided for the moving job, but low-and-behold a box of glassware gets broken, or even disappears! Or, my pimp didn't like the sage green paint selected!)

Professions are insured, bonded, guaranteed, etc. So, do we then only allow people actually from a particular field to do barter work with a provider? Then, who polices that?

Honestly, it looks good on paper, and I think it would work if both parties know and trust each other. But I think it's a disaster waiting to happen on the big scale, especially trying to have a forum for it here.

Only my 2-cents, but I can imagine a veeeeery interesting spinoff of AngiesList!! ProvidersList?!
i will def barter with a mechanic right now
Darn. All those dinars I saved won't work for BSB. I'm crushed.

Originally Posted by SD2011
LoveNHorny nailed it. I help my neighbors and family with various stuff (computer, plumbing, auto repair, and much more).
Now any time there is a issue I am the first call even if the previous stuff is not related... enough that I have thought of moving more than once.
LoveNHorny and Bored are right on. But if you have the skill, protect your insurance by exchanging receipts for services on blank invoices including value and acceptance by the recipient, do the barter. Immediately correct complaints. Everyone happy
A barter thread should be in every city as a sticky. However the proper percausions should be taken, same as spending cash to have work done. Make sure they have refs in the chosen task (can do the job in a satisfactory manner), know someone who knows they can do the job, and NEVER pay until the job is complete.

That being said, I still see problems coming out of this...at some point. As was previously stated.

And Jules, damn I freakin love mirrors to!