Philosophical Question

A philosophical question: a hobbyist ‘retires’ from the hobby. But as with any vice, the hobby keeps nagging him, he keeps shopping and sure enough eventually he finds himself at an incall. But he doesn’t partake because they don’t have a condom and she doesn’t care, is willing to go bare, so he bails.

Is he still retired? As a person who had to ‘retire’ or ‘recover’ from certain things, I can certainly understand answering that question yes, that because the person didn’t actually engage in sexual activity he is still retired. However, in this case, I am leaning towards saying no, he isn’t, because shopping was done, an appearance was made, and but for a small detail the deed would have been as well. If I were comparing it to an alcoholic, I wouldn’t accuse the man of being drunk but I wouldn’t call him sober.

What do you think?
I would say he has fallen off the wagon.
Did he truly retire from the hobby in the first place? I think not.
No man can ever retire from the hobby unless 6 ft under.
Is not chasing a civ gal, more often than not, more costly, in different aspects?
Physically, yes in the technical sense, emotionally, no.
I would say he has unretired. Whether or not the sex is consummated or not is irregardless in this scenario. BTW, I find the whole situation a bit contrived. At the very least, he could have had a BJ or HJ while getting to suck on her tits and maybe dive in for some DATY.
Put me down as a vote for "unretired." If he had a condom, he would've gone through with it from the sounds of it. It was just luck, not any sort of real thought out decision that made him decide to walk.
I say yes he didn't get a BBBJDTGAGCIMNS did he? he led himself to water and didn't drink. If he would have gone for the condom then it would be a different story..

If he retired due to it being a behavior problem the \n NO
Interesting question. I guess it just goes back to the semantics. But I would say that actual deed is very different than intent.

For example, someone may want (and have even tried) to kill someone before, but until they succeed, they aren't a murder.

An recovering alcoholic may go to a bar to get a drink, but until he tips back that scotch, he hasn't reverted yet.
  • Brot
  • 08-27-2014, 10:02 PM
I would say it was a test and he passed.
Only the individual his self would know . All though values and morals seem evident to all of us . What each individual feels would be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back is not the same in each persons perception of what took place . . . How ones total gained knowledge is weighed on the individual conscious could be varied by such things but most likely a State learned behavioral characteristic of a impaired learning device . Triggering a relapse are a i dont know wtf im talking about such as what i just typed
I would say he has unretired. Whether or not the sex is consummated or not is irregardless in this scenario. BTW, I find the whole situation a bit contrived. At the very least, he could have had a BJ or HJ while getting to suck on her tits and maybe dive in for some DATY. Originally Posted by Cpalmson
Interesting, but I think he's the sort that was put off by the thought of bbfs, scared him right back to the reasons why he 'retired'.

Did he truly retire from the hobby in the first place? I think not.
No man can ever retire from the hobby unless 6 ft under.
Is not chasing a civ gal, more often than not, more costly, in different aspects? Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
This was a retirement to one lady. But he's been looking pretty consistently, which we drunks would call maybe dry, but not sober.

An recovering alcoholic may go to a bar to get a drink, but until he tips back that scotch, he hasn't reverted yet. Originally Posted by sketchball82
That is a good example. But barring dry counties, there are kabillions of alcohol temptations, grocery stores, bars, restaurants, weddings, social functions, literally dozens of opportunities daily. To actually go to an incall is much more involved. Yet he did not tip it back, so to speak.
I wont keep latching onto your thread but i have something to share from my own perspective . Maybe she made it a point to bring up all his insecurities masked in constructive criticism based on a male,s perspective which she was not . The criticism based in aspect of reward not guilt . Not thinking he (describing myself) was worthy are acceptable to the person do to there condescending approach to nurture there festering low self esteem . collectively cumulating regressed feelings thus for being the catalast to not be able to produce a erection . As in IE she couldnt get me hard . figuratively speaking of course .
I think you guys have way to much time on your hand with nothing to do!
It meets the requirements for a valid review on this site, so therefore, he has un-retired.
Interesting question. I guess it just goes back to the semantics. But I would say that actual deed is very different than intent.

For example, someone may want (and have even tried) to kill someone before, but until they succeed, they aren't a murder.

An recovering alcoholic may go to a bar to get a drink, but until he tips back that scotch, he hasn't reverted yet. Originally Posted by sketchball82
Isn't "intent" a large part of the hobby? An athlete "intends" to play, but no team takes him. Is he retired, or just wanting to play but doesn't. A hit man shoots & misses his target. He's not retired, he just didn't succeed. In both cases, they do all the prep work, they just didn't succeed at the final step.

Being on the boards, researching, contacting, and in this case, actually meeting a provider are all part of the hobby. He didn't take the final step, but he did 90%-95% of the work. I don't think that's being retired.