Intel For A Fellow Texan! :)

Morning Y'all!!!! (Yes, I'm a true TEXAN!) Lol!!!
I'm in the process of touring for the FIRST time and I am overjoyed to have Austin, TX as my first stop! (May 17th-19th to be exact)

However, I have no idea what area to stay in. Here in Dallas, the best hassle free hobbying is done in the Galleria area. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance and I can't wait to see what Austin has to offer
Two most popular areas are

1. i35/290 area (sometimes referred to as the "Vagina Triangle")
2. Arboretum

Try to pick spot north of Oltorf and south of Braker. PM with any further questions and THANKS for visiting Austin!!!

19Trees
I hear ISO is a great place for finding information .
Great! Thanks love
stay out of central austin---scary areas

have fun!!
Most certainly! Thanks DallasRain
Welcome to Austin in advance Gia, hope to meet you when you get here. As someone who has been in Austin many decades I would have to respectfully disagree a bit with Dallas because there are many very nice areas of Central Austin and good, if mostly pricey hotels there too. Unless you choose to go the bargain rate high volume route it is probably best to avoid the 183/290 area as well. That leaves the Arboretum/Domain area where Mopac (also called Loop 1) crosses 183. From there out 183 West there are many good reasonably priced business motels and hotels that probably will have some deals on a a weekend. There are also a lot of decent hotels south, but my impression is there isn't as much hobbying activity down south.

The general rule is that I-35 and areas east can be scary unless you know where you are going (there are exceptions to that, but a newbie to Austin may want to avoid) and there is a fair amount of LE activity which isn't present west (Mopac, Loop1) and North. Southeast of the river can be dicey, the further west you go the nicer but more high rent.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all (and check the threads Tatonka so nicely provided - I have no idea of business activity for you other than the Vagina Triangle and that is mostly low rent biz).
Thanks everyone!
This might also get you oriented (the map that is): http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=654993
oh my what a gorgeous girl!!
Thanks everyone! Originally Posted by Gia Banks
Hey hun!
Let me know when you get to Austin, I'll be visiting for awhile. Lets do lunch You are beautiful btw.