Why do they still exist?

Pennies?????
What the fuck, I don't see the point in them.
All I see them as is clutter, almost as annoying as a fly in the house.

Anyone know why we still have pennies in currency?

Who else is annoyed by them?

~Raquel de Milo
Taxes. If you buy something for a dollar, with taxes it will be a 1.08.

Pennies do suck however, it would be difficult to get rid of them.
Because it would be silly to give a nickel for your thoughts.
What else am I supposed to give to the ladies when I visit?
I'm with you, Raquel. Just round everything up or down to the nearest nickle. Pennies are less than worthless these days. Cost more to produce them than the face value.
Having said all that, if you had a penny for every sales transaction in the State of Texas for just one day, you'd be rich. Ask you local legislator or school superintendent.
What else am I supposed to give to the ladies when I visit? Originally Posted by pyramider
nothing...I think 1.3 inches of dangling death is plenty
Try getting that by the ladies ...
The Federal government has wanted to eliminate them for some time. It would actually save quite a bit of money in terms of manufacturing them. However, when the subject is brought up, there is much popular opposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_d..._United_States
Because it would be silly to give a nickel for your thoughts. Originally Posted by omakase

I feel lucky if someone wants even give a penny for my thought, let alone a shiny, new nickel.
When I opened this thread and read really fast....I thought she said "PENIS" Why do they still exist? Hahaha!!! Pay attention, Samantha!!
Love to give pennies as a tip to my favorite waitress.
I melted mine down and made a hat.
When I opened this thread and read really fast....I thought she said "PENIS" Why do they still exist? Hahaha!!! Pay attention, Samantha!! Originally Posted by samantha thom
lol don't we all just love a dirty mind!!!
I don't even carry them anymore. My cupholder in my car is full of them (just spare change in general). I used to save up my change in plastic baggies and give them to a homeless guy once a month but then I moved to Europe and had to deal with coins all the damn time so now i have a fish bowl full of mostly pennies. One day ill eventually hit up a coinstar and get some lottery tickets or something.