"Progressive" Update - NYC now has "poor doors" - separate entrances for rent-controlled tenant

This is just too rich. Read the whole article:

http://money.msn.com/investing/post-...hese-buildings

Fat-cat New York liberals like to toe the Democratic line and cast aspersions on red-staters.

But they do still like to live in a nice de facto apartheid environment where they don't actually have to associate with blue collar folks that profess to love.

Or live with them.

Or talk to them.

Or even SEE them.

So, real estate developers are lining up to get permits and tax credits by building new apartments that are 80% expensive, high-end units, and 20% inexpensive ret-controlled units.

"Affordable housing" and all that, don't you know.

But the hoi polloi think it is enough to vote Democratic. But they don't know why they should have to rub elbows with folks paying $875 per month while they are paying $5000 per month in the SAME building.

So, the developers have essentially internally split buildings into an expensive section and an inexpensive section. The rich tenants come in the front door from the street - where the doorman is at.

The rent-controlled tenants come in a side entrance in a back alley.

That way the rich never see the poor.

Only in NY, kiddies.
Fucking hilarious. Typical rich liberals in every way. Thanks, ExNyer, although I don't like you, I gotta admit you have it on the ball most of the time.
Rafa Nadal wishes he had a backhand like that.
Crikey!
Why the fuck are people paying $875.00 for a $5,000.00 apartment? Oh yea... I'm a racist, I forgot... fuckers
What's next, separate water fountains?
You can't make this stuff up.

Fukin hypocritical pieces of shit.
It's all as scam in any event. The number of new rent-controlled units are negligibly small and only connected people are getting them.

Here is another article with more detail:

http://nypost.com/2014/07/05/theres-...o-live-in-nyc/

Fun quotes:
-----------------------------------

"Take the 80-20 rule that prevails at most of the fancy new buildings you see shooting up in the best nabes. One-fifth of the apartments are rented far below their value to “moderate-income tenants,” meaning, for instance, some law student from Scarsdale currently getting a monthly check from her dentist daddy. These lucky few winners will simply be subsidized by their neighbors, who are paying a topped-up version of market rate because of the artificial scarcity created by so many apartments being rented for less than they’re worth."

"At the new building at 500 W. 30th St., ordinary renters pay about $7,200 for a two-bedroom. The lucky lottery winners in the subsidized apartments, meanwhile, pay . . . $780. The developer (Related Cos.) was happy to comply with the 80-20 policy because it received many millions in various kickbacks, er, tax breaks.
That’s right: You, ordinary New York city taxpayer, are giving severely wealthy real-estate developers like Related boss Stephen Ross (net worth: $4.8 billion) millions in corporate welfare so a handful of lucky bastards can get a 90 percent discount on a luxury apartment."

"The mayor can brag about how he’s “increased the supply of affordable housing” by a negligible amount. De Blasio’s “ambitious” goal is 80,000 new affordable housing units in the next 10 years."

"That’s 8,000 units a year. In a city of 3.35 million housing units, that’s an increase of 0.2 percent a year. Oh, and we added 61,000 residents last year. Still feel pretty good about your chances of winning the “affordable housing” lottery? Don’t stop believin’!"

-------------------------

No doubt they pat themselves on the back for "making a difference".
  • WTF
  • 07-22-2014, 09:01 PM
They are doing something similar here in Houston with apartments developed in certain areas. Total bullshit.

So it goes on in red states just like blue states. Doesn't make it right but those are the facts.
It's all as scam in any event. The number of new rent-controlled units are negligibly small and only connected people are getting them.

Here is another article with more detail:

http://nypost.com/2014/07/05/theres-...o-live-in-nyc/

Fun quotes:
-----------------------------------

"Take the 80-20 rule that prevails at most of the fancy new buildings you see shooting up in the best nabes. One-fifth of the apartments are rented far below their value to “moderate-income tenants,” meaning, for instance, some law student from Scarsdale currently getting a monthly check from her dentist daddy. These lucky few winners will simply be subsidized by their neighbors, who are paying a topped-up version of market rate because of the artificial scarcity created by so many apartments being rented for less than they’re worth."

"At the new building at 500 W. 30th St., ordinary renters pay about $7,200 for a two-bedroom. The lucky lottery winners in the subsidized apartments, meanwhile, pay . . . $780. The developer (Related Cos.) was happy to comply with the 80-20 policy because it received many millions in various kickbacks, er, tax breaks.
That’s right: You, ordinary New York city taxpayer, are giving severely wealthy real-estate developers like Related boss Stephen Ross (net worth: $4.8 billion) millions in corporate welfare so a handful of lucky bastards can get a 90 percent discount on a luxury apartment."

"The mayor can brag about how he’s “increased the supply of affordable housing” by a negligible amount. De Blasio’s “ambitious” goal is 80,000 new affordable housing units in the next 10 years."

"That’s 8,000 units a year. In a city of 3.35 million housing units, that’s an increase of 0.2 percent a year. Oh, and we added 61,000 residents last year. Still feel pretty good about your chances of winning the “affordable housing” lottery? Don’t stop believin’!"

-------------------------

No doubt they pat themselves on the back for "making a difference". Originally Posted by ExNYer

I remember reading a article on zerohedge about this last month. The owners/landlords/croniests bank on the tax subsidies for building the properties to lease a small percent to the subsidized apartment lottery winners... Bend over middle class you got one coming right up your ...
Fucking hilarious. Typical rich liberals in every way. Thanks, ExNyer, although I don't like you, I gotta admit you have it on the ball most of the time. Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
Wouldn't you want the poor people's door to lead out of the country?
Wouldn't you want the poor people's door to lead out of the country? Originally Posted by JohnnyCap
I'd settle for it not leading into the country.
I'd settle for it not leading into the country. Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
WhY does it matter to you, JLJerk? you're an ex-pat, remember?
What's next...? Originally Posted by boardman
For the poor tenants: used rich cat kitty litter
has to be George Bush's fault.. he must be behind this?