Thinking of creating a Hobby Facebook account

First of all, I do not use Facebook in real life, so I'm not particularly conversant on the subject. I've received several invitations through my hobby email account to become Friends and am considering taking the plunge, as long as I can set up an account without using real world info. Is this possible? Are there any security risks of which I need to be aware?
A Hobby Facebook account is easy. You are the one giving them the info like where you live, name, age etc..

If you cannot lie to FB, then you got NO business being in the Hobby.
it can be a great marketing tool in terms of posting updated pics, letting clients know where you'll be tourning next, any specials you're running, etc.
A Hobby Facebook account is easy. You are the one giving them the info like where you live, name, age etc..

If you cannot lie to FB, then you got NO business being in the Hobby. Originally Posted by Spirit13
Oh, that I have no problem with. I just needed to know that it was as simple as opening a hobby email account on Yahoo or Hotmail.
Oh, that I have no problem with. I just needed to know that it was as simple as opening a hobby email account on Yahoo or Hotmail. Originally Posted by TinMan
You are correct... In fact if you have 2 pc's or a smart phone you can link each FB account to a specific PC

I use a laptop for hobby, (netbook) and another pc for my normal life stuff.
FB is based on Email addie. Like an idiot I used the same one as I was using in the hobby. Needless to say that account is flushed. You can put in any info you want and when you find old friends, message them, (not post on their wall) and tell them something only you and them know.
I wouldn't use it to contact a provider. Given the security stories out there and their crappy software, I wouldn't enter anything that I wouldn't mind anyone in the world seeing.
Just make a new email account for hobby purpuse only and adjust some settings so your page can stay private so no one can put there nose where its not wanted. I think thats a great idea since FB is so easy to use....
I HAVE ONE ONLY GOT ONE CLIENT FROM THERE BUT I AM NOT MUCH OF A FACEBOOK FAN ANYWAY ONLY FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR BUSINESS
I have a facebook I use for this, in conjunction with an email I use solely for this.
I wouldn't do it if you're trying to keep your privacy. A computer savvy person could find out who you really are i.e. real name, address, etc. Facebook sells all their data to companies like MyLife and Spokeo
Could you explain how, presuming you use no real life info to create the account?
I wouldn't do it if you're trying to keep your privacy. A computer savvy person could find out who you really are i.e. real name, address, etc. Facebook sells all their data to companies like MyLife and Spokeo Originally Posted by p1ayboy007
Don't do it.I've had people find me I did'nt want finding.No matter if you block everything you'll get found.When I google my real name pics that are on Facebook show up. That's with me having my settings all private.
Not a good idea even with a fake Facebook ID. I imagine it would make things a lot easier for LE if they were ever trying to connect the dots from a crime scene. For example, a provider gets attacked and hurt or worse.
All they would have to do is study the Friends network until a connection is made. If it was an investigation, they would do some more research, find some people and start asking questions. You might be careful but who is to say anyone else is?
Some people friend everybody.
I looked at Tinman's FB page and discovered a familiar face. Gee, is that her real name? That's real smart of her.
Sorry to be so negative, but there is no reason to connect with more sites. Just building a web....that the wrong people might be viewing someday.
So did any of you guys set up a phony FB account for the hobby using no real info, and now that a couple of months have passed, have you had any problems?
I have encountered no issues as of yet. I don't have a RW account, so no chance of overlap. I've made a few new friends I didn't already have here, but most of the friend requests have been from guys I don't know or apparent spammers. I'd say this board has a better chance of fulfilling a hobby social network niche than does FB.