The Sessions

I just saw The Sessions, a beautiful film about a sex surrogate for the disabled. Helen Hunt is looking pretty good at age 49, but I really thought it was an uplifting film. The film grazes the outskirts of the hobby, but because the subject is disabled it touches upon love in a way that we all run from here. Personally I find attachment one of the riskiest things about the hobby.
I have been waiting forever for some hobby feedback on this movie!!

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?p=1052145234
The bad: I just reviewed the thread you linked to and there is so much bad taste in movies it saddens me. That, and some of the comments on the hobby are so misguided. sigh

The good: what a beautiful film! I laughed and cried for 90 minutes. William H Macy was fantastic, always is, and the latent jealousy a priest has for the sex life of a polio patient is world class stuff. I expected horrible things from Arkin's character but he was quite human. Helen Hunt, what an exercise in how the brain is a sex organ, and a difficult one at that. A slap in the face with real life, that film. Beautiful.

It makes me so sad how adored the Speilbergs and Afflecks are for their overwhelmingly mediocre work...I saw Lincoln and Argo and would say both are exercises in Hollywood self-aggrandizement...whereas The Sessions and Beasts of the Southern Wild were beautiful, artistic efforts. Yet these latters fall by the wayside because their bigger brothers spend more money.

Enough rant, you get more than you pay for from me, Sweet E.
Aw. :-)
I found the similarity to that emotional danger line of the hobby very interesting. I thought for sure it would be a hot topic.
No way. Too much testosterone flowing for most to admit they might actually fall.

And I don't think many would take a woman's, provider's, falling as sincere, which I understand. "Don't believe them when they say you are special," is survival mantra on these pages.
i also saw the sessions and agree with your comments
I liked that it was based on a true event. I also liked the religious aspect brought up throughout. The entire film was saturated with the fact that we are all human beings.

When comparing the film to the hobby, obviously the hobby is more discreet in nature.

I personally find a lot of correlation to human nature itself and relationships formed in the hobby.

There are certailnly long-term, mutually beneficial relationships in the hobby, and these are great as long as the boundaries are continually, or even continuously examined and adjusted.

The feelings side of the hobby is typically frowned upon. I think this is because the feelings/long term relationship side is mostly discussed when something goes awry; when healthy boundaries are over-stepped.

I can honestly share that I do not have many close friends, and that I am really not much into friendships, as my job makes that difficult. I appreciate the friendships that have formed through the years, although they still have strict boundaries. Additionally, I think it's pretty amazing to have a friend for ten years plus in this business!! How awesome to be able to have that!!

The film really kept it real. We are not robots. I thought it was great!!