favorite mexican food

What is everyone's favoite mexican food restaurant in austin?

I like

Taco Cabana
El Rancho
El Mercado
El Guyo
G-man, we needz to get u out more, brah! Taco Cabana is whack, not even good on da fast food market, Taco Bueno be more bueno, u no whut I'm sayin?

I haves lots o diffrent categories for my mexican food.
Best fajitas - Papasitos
Best barbacoa - Tio Dan's puffy tacos
Best tacos - Amaya's taco village
Best enchiladas - Enchiladas Y Mas
Best margarita - Baby A's
  • Booth
  • 12-23-2009, 02:04 PM
El Azteca
Best cheap and fast take-out TexMex...

The Tamale House on Airport. The "regular dinner". Beef taco, two cheese enchiladas smothered in chili and cheese, rice, beans, two flour tortillas... $3.50.

Funny. Not a tamale in sight.

gfe
OH yeah....we get Tamale House for lunch at work every so often....good, fast and cheap...Mario's in Hutto is actually pretty good too.
But I really have yet to find a place that equals this little road-side place in the hills outside San Juan, PR that a former gf and her dad took me to several years ago. The food was fresh and melted in your mouth. Delicious!
  • Booth
  • 12-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Best cheap and fast take-out TexMex...

The Tamale House on Airport. The "regular dinner". Beef taco, two cheese enchiladas smothered in chili and cheese, rice, beans, two flour tortillas... $3.50.

Funny. Not a tamale in sight.

gfe Originally Posted by gfejunkie
Their carne guisada isn't bad either. I haven't been by lately but in past years they offered tamales for just a few days right around Christmas.
My favorite for fast Tex-Mex is Taco Cabana, or the cheap black bean burrito from Taco Bueno.

Favorite Tex-Mex restaurant is Chuy's. Love their stuffed chile rellenos.
Any place that has cabrito on the menu, like El Azteca on East 7th.

And any place that has great mole, like Fonda San Miguel or Curra's.

El Monk
Can't remember the name of the place off 2222 west of Capitol of Texas, was pretty good another is Berryhill on 360 south of the bridge.
Best enchiladas: Chuy's
Best mole: Manuel's
Best buffet: Trudy's North Star
Best fast food: Taco Cabana
Chuy's Steak Burrito... Still the best.
Lots of good Mexican and Tex-Mex in this town.

Onceler
...hot tamale...
Geniusman wrote,

"favorite mexican food
What is everyone's favoite mexican food restaurant in austin?"

~~~~~~~~~

Howdy, Folks!

Mexican cuisine is enormously complex, subtle, fascinating, worthy of serious attention and appreciation.

So...

Fonda San Miguel.

Accept no substitutes.

Mr cracker ass would be three axe handles wide if I weren't such a skinflint, as I'd be at the Sunday Brunch every weekend.

Miguel and his folks serve up haute cuisine that rivals anything in the Old World.

My hat's off to these folks.

[That said - they kill me with the coffee. It's COFFEE, fer crissakes. Some of the finest coffee is grown in Mexico, and they serve Cains. WTF are they thinking? Hell - Ruta Maya is imported and roasted in Austin! It would be PERFECT for them to serve it! But sadly, they don't. Hence, no 3 Star Michelin Rating - but a worthy 2.]
Anyone ever have the enchiladas at Dart Bowl??? Not kidding, they may be the best in Austin.
Taco Cabana and Taco Bueno for me.
Amaya's Taco Village in Capital Plaza.