D-Day June 6 1944 Remember

I am kind of tired of the BS train wreck threads, like most of us are. Get a life, move on and enjoy life. Quit worrying about who does who, and for how much.

Instead here is a link to a video honoring our Nation's Finest, and celebrating the return of a group of Veterans. I wish I could have been there. I had an uncle, he served in North Africa, landed at Normandy and also was a part of the Battle of the Bulge. My uncle was a tank commander, and survived some of the toughest battles in the history of man. He never asked for anything, he would rarely talk about the battles. I was honored to have the time to spend with this great man and have a treasure of memories and old relics that I cherish. Please, if you know a veteran that served in WWII and especially if he landed at Normandy on this day in 1944, thank him, hug him, spend time with him. This is truly America's Greatest Generation.

http://www.mullerover.com/2012/05/23/what-honor-looks-like-the-flash-mob-at-gate-38-of-reagan-national-airport/
  • hd
  • 06-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Well said.
Semper Fi!
We are now losing a lot of folks from this generation, and I think we are poorer for it. My granddad grew up on a farm in the depression, was drafted into the Army and flew on missions over France on D-day. He went on to a successful business career, a 60 year marriage, 2 kids, 5 grand kids, and today he would have 8 great grandchildren. The man was my hero, soft spoken but faithful and strong. Damn, I miss him.

Folks my age know nothing of hardship and sacrifice like these heroes did, and it was not always easy for them, but they overcame and saw a massive amount of change and an explosion of prosperity in America. It is ridiculous what we whine about nowadays.

We should always remember what our forefathers did to get us where we are.
Your Granddaddy was a brave and honorable man. SALUTE!!!
Thank you for starting this thread. It's about time we stop the bichin' and remember exactly what our dear country is all about.

My own father was an army veteran who fought during the Battle of the Bulge. Us kids would would listen to his stories for hours.

Thank you, Dad, for your setvice. I love you and I miss you.
It is a shame we are losing so many WWII Vets every day.

While much is made of the D-Day invasion, June 4-7 is also the anniversary of the Battle of Midway. (1942) This battle marked the turning point of the war in the Pacific and brought truth to the words of the Admiral Yamamoto, who led the attack on Pearl Harbor. He is quoted as saying:

"I can run wild for six months … after that, I have no expectation of success".

The Battle of Midway took place 6 months after Pearl Harbor (Dec. 7, 1941 to June 4-7, 1942.)

I seem to remember reading somewhere, but can't find it, that the Battle of Coral Sea (May, 1942) and the Battle of Midway resulted in the sinking of most of the aircraft carriers and destruction/death of most of the pilots who took part in the attack on Pearl Harbor.
The Japanese lost four of their front line carriers and over 300 aircraft and more than 4,000 sailors. The US Lost two carriers, although one was soon back in action. You are right the Japanese never recovered and from that point in the war they were on the defensive and running for their lives. The Battle of Midway was also the first time in naval warfare that ships did not fire on each other, instead aircraft did the damage.

Yes I am a history nut and geek.
  • hd
  • 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Lana, my father too was at the Bulge, but he also was enterpreter in Patton's army for interrogation of the German guards and officers at Bergen-Belsen camp. Never talked about his experiences until later in life. He just passed a few months ago on his 93rd birthday. Later this month we'll intern his and mom's ashes at the Arlington National Cemetery.

Getting close to the last page of the book.
The Japanese lost four of their front line carriers and over 300 aircraft and more than 4,000 sailors. The US Lost two carriers, although one was soon back in action. You are right the Japanese never recovered and from that point in the war they were on the defensive and running for their lives. The Battle of Midway was also the first time in naval warfare that ships did not fire on each other, instead aircraft did the damage.

Yes I am a history nut and geek. Originally Posted by durango95
I bet I have watched Midway a 1000 times