Our Alternate Personality

Ya know ...

I've been invited to a BBQ tonight and knew I would be meeting a bunch of people I do not know.
It is something that not only gets on my nerves (mingling with folks who are not part of the hobby) ... but I have to start thinking ... ok, when asked ... what "do you do"? (of course nosey people asking about what industry I am in)

I asked one of my clients today .... how do I respond to this?

He said ... just tell them you work for the government and cannot share information about your job.

How brilliant!

Not only do I leave them intrigued, but also dodging the actual answer.

What other scenarios could we come up with. I actually want to have many of them in my back pocket. Fishing for more!

I tell people I do flea market flipping & resale...it seems legit as to why I travel alot of places lol

you could always say you do computer webpages on the go
To be truthful you could tell 'em you are in Human Relations (HR) and you're between assignments right now.

I'm under Torre Tames and DallasRain what a sight to see!
  • BLM69
  • 07-18-2020, 09:44 PM
Alternate Personality LOL, I was discussing this with a provider recently, she tells me after having a few conversations with her that the way I interact here is act!

I responded nicely and explained to her that BLM is my hobby identity and is similar to my real personality, similar as not to sugar coat things or being passive when getting taken advantage of like most people are today

Another couple of providers I may be visiting with were scared thinking this BLM animal ( as I like to put it ) is gonna walk through their door and say who knows what lol, treat me nice and with respect, I'll do the same. Act fool and you guys already know.....DR is in line to get some BLM action haha
Tore... Tell them that you are a relationship counselor and of course you you cannot talk about your work. Work is work and we are not at work.
The event has passed, but here’s a way to start developing one for the next time: every good lie has an element of truth. Find an experience, maybe a past job, and build from that. Folks will ask for details, and it’s always best if you have enough knowledge of your chosen field to be credible when you answer.
Meh. Lying is SO much effort. Just tell them you're a sex therapist focused on dysfunctional marital relations. If people get nosy, you simply say that you really can't discuss business because of therapist-client confidentiality. All of which is true. Hell you're likely to drum up business that way... from both husbands and wives.

Life is so much simpler when you don't try and live life like a facade for different people...

Your friends won't judge you (or they were never friends in the first place) and who gives a shit about people that do? Most of them WISH they could live without their self-imposed constraints and rules.
.....explained to her that BLM is my hobby identity and is similar to my real personality, similar as not to sugar coat things or being passive when getting taken advantage of like most people are today Originally Posted by BLM69
SO BLM .... YOU THINK YOU ARE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF ON THIS BOARD? IT'S JUST A FORUM DUDE .... YOU CANT WEAR YOUR HEART ON YOUR KEYBOARD FINGERTIPS

Tore... Tell them that you are a relationship counselor and of course you you cannot talk about your work. Work is work and we are not at work. Originally Posted by Drtyolman
Relationship Counselor .... hhhmmm ... last person I met that had that title was a passion parties rep. selling sex toys.

With all due respect .... you may not be "at work here", but we providers who screen, prepare, work the business, yes we are at work.

Find an experience, maybe a past job, and build from that. Folks will ask for details... Originally Posted by TinMan
Thanks TinMan - and yes, this is what I reverted to last night. Administrative Assistant ... altho now I say I find clients online.

BUT ... how boring is that?

How about "PRIVATE INVESTMENT BANKER" With exclusive clientele. That is halfway right ..... right?

I can bullshit my way through pretty much anything ...
  • BLM69
  • 07-19-2020, 11:11 AM
SO BLM .... YOU THINK YOU ARE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF ON THIS BOARD? IT'S JUST A FORUM DUDE .... YOU CANT WEAR YOUR HEART ON YOUR KEYBOARD FINGERTIPS

: Originally Posted by Torre Tames
Not at all, never said that.....I'm not the one that has to ask a hooker board how to act around regular folks, seems like "just a forum" is your life and that you forgot what the RW is like. Dude

You can't BS your way through life, if you truly believe that. Bless your heart.....As I posted earlier, most people are passive and won't tell what they're really thinking, it's not that you bullshited them, you have a lot to learn, get out more
Try something simple that doesnt require follow up questions.

At home customer support....but cant name specific company
consumer reporter.....same excuse as above
As many years as you've been involved in the industry-- I'm rather surprised you don't already have a well crafted "dinner party" story.
Tell'em you're in tourism.. You know, around the world... haha
Thanks BLM for your input.
Grain of salt ... over my shoulder.

Guess the "dinner party" story for me has changed over the years.
More life experience and finding a different way to express myself, especially in a new setting.
Perhaps the comfort comes from letting folks know I do something fascinating. Which is actually true. I do feel that way.

Tourism ... hhhmmmm .... interesting.

No worries tho. Alternate personalities can be created all the time, but tough to live out in real life.... LOL !

Thanks to all for your ideas .... something to digest!...
  • BLM69
  • 07-19-2020, 02:26 PM
As many years as you've been involved in the industry-- I'm rather surprised you don't already have a well crafted "dinner party" story. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
It's obvious that the hobby is her life, You don't need any dinner stories when you live, breathe the hobby 24/7 and keep to yourself, this explains her not knowing how to act around regular folks. eccie coed has all the answers for some LMAO.......

TT; the ones unwilling to learn new things will always be left behind, drop the big ego and open your mind a bit, it will benefit you. Good luck on the bullshitting of people, you got all of them fooled alright (rolling my eyes)
Oh BLM - your such a masterful philosophist.
It's ridiculous to assume what YOU think might be true.
I've traveled the world (6 countries and numerous domestic locations) all in social atmospheres carrying and presenting myself in the utmost professional way.

What you don't know about me doesn't bother me.
I just like to yank your chain ;-) All in good fun.

This is a subject I thought people might find entertaining :-) :-)

TT

PS - back to the subject of the thread ....
anybody else have ideas of "alternate personality" that would be exciting, enticing and fun?

PSS - BLM, it's funny you could tell someone else to "drop the ego" ... HA!