Our "Living" Constitution

"When an instrument admits two constructions, the one safe, the other dangerous, the one precise, the other indefinite, I prefer that which is safe & precise. I had rather ask an enlargement of power from the nation, where it is found necessary, than to assume it by a construction which would make our powers boundless. Our peculiar security is in possession of a written Constitution. Let us not make it a blank paper by construction. I say the same as to the opinion of those who consider the grant of the treaty making power as boundless. If it is, then we have no Constitution. If it has bounds, they can be no others than the definitions of the powers which that instrument gives. It specifies & delineates the operations permitted to the federal government, and gives all the powers necessary to carry these into execution."

- Thomas Jefferson, 'Letter to Wilson Carey Nicholas', September 7, 1803
"[A] dangerous ambition more often lurks behind the specious mask of zeal for the rights of the people than under the forbidden appearance of zeal for the firmness and efficiency of government. History will teach us that the former has been found a much more certain road to the introduction of despotism than the latter, and that of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants."

The Federalist Papers: No. 1
HAMILTON
The only real protection to the survival of the Constitution is the honor of our elected representatives. They all take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution. When taking that oath became a meaningless ceremony, the Constitution was doomed.
The only real protection to the survival of the Constitution is the honor of our elected representatives. They all take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution. When taking that oath became a meaningless ceremony, the Constitution was doomed. Originally Posted by joe bloe
We may as well ditch the constitution, it is only used when the liberals benefit from it. Some guy said it is merely the opinion of white, landowning slaveholders who have been dead for 200 years - let's go with that to help get rid of it.