What Happened To Our Precious Bump Stocks

What? wait..I thought it was the black man the boggie man president that was supposed to take away your gun rights. Trump doing this to yall is so precious.
What? wait..I thought it was the black man the boggie man president that was supposed to take away your gun rights. Trump doing this to yall is so precious. Originally Posted by Sistine Chapel
Fully automatic weapons have been band since the 1930s. I haven't seen or heard anyone complaining about bump stocks being ban. Why are you so upset?
  • oeb11
  • 12-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Bump Stocks were used in the Las Vegas shootings to kill 60 and maim hundreds.

They effectively turn a semi-auto rifle in to a full auto weapon for $99
The BATFE decision to legalize those was completely inconsistent with the NFA Acts of 1934 and 1986.
It was stupid to legalize bump stocks - should never have been done.

You want a FA weapon - comply with $200 tax stamp and BATFE check and transfer regulations, and you can own one.

Never been a crime committed in the US with a legally held FA weapon.
Glad bump stocks are gone.
  • oeb11
  • 12-30-2018, 06:08 PM
SC - like the new avatar - but the old one was much more consistent with you.
I am a lifetime NRA member and avid gun enthusiast.

The President banning “bump stocks” does not bother me in the least.
  • oeb11
  • 12-31-2018, 05:39 AM
Seems to me the OP was just trying to throw bait in the water to elicit an angry response.

Failed miserably
Good riddance to bump stocks
Under new regulations- they will not be purchasable, transferrable , or legal to hold by non-Federal Firearm Licensees under NFA 1986. FFL's won't want them as they will be unsalable.
  • grean
  • 12-31-2018, 06:22 AM
I am a lifetime NRA member and avid gun enthusiast.

The President banning “bump stocks” does not bother me in the least. Originally Posted by Jackie S
I'm more than a little bothered. It sets a HUGE precedent. It was overreaching and was challenged immediately in court.

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say they did that so it could be challenged and struck down....

The realist in me says that Trump & company are just idiots.
I'm more than a little bothered. It sets a HUGE precedent. It was overreaching and was challenged immediately in court.

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say they did that so it could be challenged and struck down....

The realist in me says that Trump & company are just idiots. Originally Posted by grean
I think it was a political strategy. Bump Stocks are an accessory the banning of them doesn't violate the 2nd Amendment. It won't set a precedent to further any gun grab agenda pushed by the left. Just about any guy with mechanical know how and access to really good tools can make a Bump stock or even a silencer and do it all at the fraction of the cost. People have even made Crossbows small enough to conceal and powerful enough to pass an arrow through a cinderblock at 15-20 feet. So banning something as cheesy as a Bump Stock is really trivial in my opinion.

Jim

You want a FA weapon - comply with $200 tax stamp and BATFE check and transfer regulations, and you can own one.
Originally Posted by oeb11
Sounds simple huh? Try getting past the check and transfer regs. Not just by being a 'good citizen' but the bureaucratic paperwork and footdragging.

Then shell out 20K for the weapon.
  • oeb11
  • 01-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Sounds simple huh? Try getting past the check and transfer regs. Not just by being a 'good citizen' but the bureaucratic paperwork and footdragging.

Then shell out 20K for the weapon. Originally Posted by gnadfly

I did not state it was a simple process to possess a legally transferred FA weapon.
It is a time consuming process that can take a year.
With a limited supply of transferable FA weapons, they are very expensive.
But not impossible to obtain legally in the US if one meets all requirements.

Must be done through a Federal firearms licensee who handles Class 3 weapons transfers.

Not a good idea to make one's own bump stock or silencer - actually a "suppressor".
BATFE takes a very dim view of that - 10-20 years in Leavenworth.

Back on topic to good riddance to legal bump stocks.
  • grean
  • 01-01-2019, 08:25 PM
I think it was a political strategy. Bump Stocks are an accessory the banning of them doesn't violate the 2nd Amendment. It won't set a precedent to further any gun grab agenda pushed by the left. Just about any guy with mechanical know how and access to really good tools can make a Bump stock or even a silencer and do it all at the fraction of the cost. People have even made Crossbows small enough to conceal and powerful enough to pass an arrow through a cinderblock at 15-20 feet. So banning something as cheesy as a Bump Stock is really trivial in my opinion.

Jim Originally Posted by Mr MojoRisin
They banned ithe by redefining what is considered a machine gun.

They didn't pass a law. Trump didn't issue an E.O. They simply changed a definition.

They could have made it to include binary triggers or made any trigger customization, for that matter, illegal just by tweaking the definition.

It's not the bump stocks being banned, it how they went about it.

They didn't pass a law. Trump didn't issue an E.O. They simply changed a definition.

They could have made it to include binary triggers or made any trigger customization, for that matter, illegal just by tweaking the definition.

It's not the bump stocks being banned, it how they went about it. Originally Posted by grean
Grean I know you are a responsible and good gun owner. No one is taking our guns away. They are going to change gun laws just like they do traffic laws, banking laws, criminal laws etc
They do get a little liberal with definitions. The BATF kept waffling on whether or not you could shoulder a stabilizer on an AR pistol. Finally they settled on that you can so long as you don't do anything to alter it's original intent or design. So, no placing pads on them.

Bumps stocks were just a modification for entertainment purposes. Nothing but a way to waste ammo.
Bumps stocks were just a modification for entertainment purposes. Nothing but a way to waste ammo. Originally Posted by bigwill832
Until that psycho decided to get up in a hotel room in Vegas and use one to randomly spray bullets into a crowd.

It's not the bump stocks being banned, it how they went about it. Originally Posted by grean
It really doesn't matter how they went about banning the bump stock it's still a immaterial issue.

Jim