Check your tire pressure if you don’t have tire pressure monitors

Seeing a lot of people on the side of the road with cut tires because they were driving with too low a tire pressure. The quick change to cold weather can drop tire pressure by up to 10 psi. For those already with low tire pressure, your rim could cut into the tire.

Had to help an elderly couple stuck on side of road with a sliced tire and one other that was badly mangled. Got the spare on and aired it up and they were able to limp to a tire store to get them both replaced.
I was thinking of that just this morning. I had to air mine up a bit the other day because the change in temperatures were so up and down, so I will probably need to do it again tomorrow just because it's so darned cold now. Thank you for the reminder! Great topic.
The old guy I am I do a" walk around " every time I drive and once aweek check lights. So yes tire pressure is "set at 70 F so in cold weather very important to be at cars pressure on door jam ( comes from driving old cars you had to add water oil trans once aweek )
Tech Tip: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems are great until that dash light comes on and panic sets in.

Had a co-worker who had to deal with the TPMS light and find which tire was low. Dismounted all the tires replaced the monitors and dash light was still on. He and the tire shop went round and round on this.

Then a genius asked "Did you check the spare tire? Because it has TPMS, too."

Aired up the spare and light on the dash went out. Check your spare tire pressure as well. It could save you $$$ and a week of frustration.
These TPMS are okay BUT , they only go on when tire is 10lbs or more low , you can still damage tires , best to check once a month ( or have somebody )
Think they are usually set to trigger at 28 psi.

I guess my spares don’t have tpms. Good heads up though for those that do.
Good tips

I recently saw a video floating around where a guy was filling his own tires and put too much air and the whole tire exploded on him.

I have an app on my phone that I can pretty much see all the stats for my car. Psi, oil levels, etc. it definitely comes in handy.
  • Lanny
  • 10-19-2018, 12:11 PM
FYI...Discount Tire will do a free check...and some locations have a designated area for Free Pressure Check...so dont even have to get out of car!
FYI...Discount Tire will do a free check...and some locations have a designated area for Free Pressure Check...so dont even have to get out of car! Originally Posted by Lanny

Thank you so much for that tip!
  • BLM69
  • 10-19-2018, 01:29 PM
You guys depend on technology too much for simple things, the tpms only works if the sensors are operating properly, they do go bad so its always better to check pressure the old fashioned way, with a mechanical air gauge. I like to fill mine up to the max pressure recommended by the manufacturer, you'll get the best gas mileage at that pressure
These TPMS are okay BUT , they only go on when tire is 10lbs or more low , you can still damage tires , best to check once a month ( or have somebody ) Originally Posted by rexdutchman
+1

Great advise.
Some of the new cars are so high tech now that it will show you how much pressure is in each tire. More things to go wrong if you ask me.
My car does this. tells me how much air in each tier then the weather changes and need to ad air , just a week ago was down to low 40's now today 91

Some of the new cars are so high tech now that it will show you how much pressure is in each tire. More things to go wrong if you ask me. Originally Posted by dallasfan
Great public service post Dallas fan and well timed. I drove around for two days with my low pressure light on. When I finally checked the old fashion way with a tire gauge, it was 30psi down from 35. Not really a hazard as has been described in other replys. People need to take tires serious at $200+ a tire. Especially the people that drive on the low (nearly no) profile tires. They may look "cool" but not for me
this is where costco's nitrogen tire filling really comes in handy