Waco Kid's Weekly College Football Review week3

What is Waco Kid's Weekly College Football Review? It is an ongoing weekly review of all things College Football!!

Each week upcoming games can be discussed and predictions made, name-calling after victories and general all-around college football discussion! Each week will be closed out by the next Monday and a new thread opened for the current college football schedule for each week.

Rules -
"Rules?? We don't need no stinkin’ rules!"
Actually we do.

WKWCFR rule 1
"Lies, damn lies and statistics!"
British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli
If you quote a stat, record, 3rd down conversion rate, an all-time mark or the number of jock straps an 85-man team needs ...
Post it! If you can't post a link to it, it's bogus!
What's valid in the Internet age? Just about anything! Any of the major sports publications, local newspapers, any of the big networks and official school and NCAA sites just to cover the big ones.

WKWCFR rule 2
Predictions must be posted 1 day in advance! If you haven't read the sports page and figgured out who's going to win by the day before ya never will!
Must be time stamped before Midnight the day before game-day, for any weekly games Thur-Sun on the current weekly schedule.
So there you have it, pretty basic! You can post on general topics of your favorite teams regardless of that week's opponent. Just remember WKWCFR rule 1

Polls

Well Reggie's going to return his little statue, let's see what the football fans here have to say!

I for one think it's the right move. It's clear now that Bush was taking illegal benefits and that makes him ineligible by the rules of the Heisman Trust. In fact being in good standing by the NCAA as a student-athlete is just about the only requirement really. I'm not sure I'd call this a classy move since i think he's only doing this in part because he probably knew the Heisman Trust would strip it from him. That said this is obviously less embarrassing to Reggie personally. Nonetheless it's still the right move and Bush should be noted for it. The O.J. comparison that people keep bringing up doesn't really apply for two reasons, first it doesn't change O.J.'s eligibility then or now, and as Johnny Rodgers pointed out in his reaction O.J. was found not guilty. Never mind if you think he really IS guilty that's our legal system at work, like it or not.

What the Heisman Trust will now do we'll have to wait and see but Vince Young has already said he won't accept the trophy after the fact, which i also think is the right move on Vince's part. He'd rather have that rock he won on the field in Pasadena! Reggie's got his own rock of course and congrats to the 'Aint's .. er Saints on that!
Bush may not be the superstar he was supposed to be so far in the NFL but he is a large part of the Saints offense and to call him a complete bust is unfair. To date the only one of the three players linked by the Heisman vote that year, Bush, Young and Leinart, only Leinart could be labeled a bust, so far. It's unclear now fair of a deal Leinart really got in Arizona. His work ethic is certainly an issue and his injury did allow Warner an opportunity which he more than capitalized on! VY was offensive rookie of the year in 2006 and while he's had his down moments he looks like he's beginning to play up to his talent or rather within his talent along with the Ttitans having enough parts to field a team able to contend for a strong playoff run.

So let's get some more comments on Reggie giving up the Statue!
I am still unsure of the whole thing. From everything I read they are still relying on the word of criminals and circumstancial evidence. I care less about Reggie and more about the hammering USC is taking for a player and staff that is no longer around. I frankly also think that some of the "facts" of the case are horseshit. A $400,000 house in San Diego is a $120,000 house in most other cities yet that was so aggregious a violation. Really? They weren't given the house and the rent situation is a big he said she said with no evidence either way to support either side. Things just don't add up to be 100% against Bush.

I guess I am just less interested in the NCAA and these rules. Ever since they made that kid choose between skiing and football I lost what little respect I had for their judgment. As we like to say here there are 3 sides to every story and most of us will never know the truth.
Well i suppose we will never really know since all this ended with non-disclosures from all of the sordid parties. I'd say that if Reggo is going to give back the statue there's some sort of implied guilt, unless he just figured "WTF" beat 'em to the punch because the Trust considered the NCAA's investigation (and their own review of it) legit. Speaking of credibility it was Jeremy Bloom and that was absolutely a BULLSHIT ruling by the high and mighty NCAA!! Please tell me how his skiing money is any different than many players who sign MLB contracts then walk-on to the football team at Enormous State University? Ricky Williams did that at UT and won a statue himself while he was at it. Man we could sure use another RB like Ricky these days!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1867015

another item to note on Reggo, Yahoo Sports did do a pretty convincing investigation including some documents concerning hotels and other items. As far as that house, who knows? maybe Reggo's family were cash renters? it happens.

One thing about "honor among thieves" LOL which was discussed in reports on Reggo's lawsuits is that apparently Reggo did settle with Michael Michaels for the supposed $300K he and Lloyd Lake spent bribing Reggo but Michaels stiffed Lake for his share HAHA! That's why Reggie initially refused to pay Lake anything in a settlement, on the premise, correctly i might add "Hey dude i paid your scumbucket buddy, go get your share from him!"

I think Reggo only settled with Lake in an attempt to prevent him from tattling to the NCAA. and it worked but by then the floodgates were open. So really based on reports of the amounts of the settlements both Lake and Michaels got more or less double what they claimed they were owed. Or at least Michaels did anyway.

Who says crime doesn't pay? LOL.
there is zero juris prudence with the NCAA

when Wade Phillips was at OK State, a women testified that Daddy Phillips was in her living room offering her son money. We proved Daddy Phillips was out of state that day. the NCAA took her word, now Wade could have been there
Baylor at TCU this week.

Here are a computer from Baylor and computer from TCU discussing the game.

http://www.wbap.com/FlashPlayer/defa...019&ID=1061700
Really? Wade turns to the dark side? didn't they make a movie about that?

i re-read Reggo's statement and he admitted to making "mistakes" that sure sounds like he knows he took buckets full 'ol cash and there was at least some credible hard evidence.

funny thing was he was also playing Ornstein for inducements, who himself had some serious issues. He signed with Ornstein out of USC but recently dumped him.

but hey look at his upside, he's rich, he was bangin' Kimmy and he has a SuperBowl rock the ultimate sports bling so life is good in ReggieWorld! Don't feel too sorry for Matt "Hollywood" Leinart either, the bust of the Holy Trinity .. so far. He's probably cashed north of 20 M maybe closer to 25 M of his initial contract, if not more. Time will tell but i'd be surprised if any of the three, VY, Reggo or Matt wind up broke down the road. Leinart least of all really, his dad was paying for his apartment while at USC, nothing illegal about that, clearly his dad was reasonably successful so Leinhart most of all should be smart with his buckets full of cash.
I am not trying to start an argument, but Vince had a change of heart and decided he would take the trophy if it was offered to him. The interview was on Ben and Skin the other day. They stated something like the change of heart came after Daddy Mac talked to Vince. Just waht I heard on the radio.
I am not trying to start an argument, but Vince had a change of heart and decided he would take the trophy if it was offered to him. The interview was on Ben and Skin the other day. They stated something like the change of heart came after Daddy Mac talked to Vince. Just waht I heard on the radio. Originally Posted by clownpuncher
Bush won the Heisman, Young didn't. They aren't going to give him the trophy. Already said they wouldn't.
I watched the interview with the gangsta dude on Real Sports and they seem to do some reasonable journalistic work there.

Everyone here is right to the point that Reggie really has the bling that matters. The only people who got screwed are the current kids at USC. I guess the good thing is when Matt Barkley will be a senior he can compete for a national championship that year. The kid looks to have the goods and will hopefully get better with age.
The NCAA are a bunch of hypocrites it took about a year to investigate Bloom. They took their time on the Bush case which started in 2006. WHY?, becuz USC was still competing for National Championships. L.A is the second largest media market and they did not want to loose the ad revenue. Which made them millions of dollars. It is becuz USC started to decline and Pete Carroll left, that they are now taking actions against Bush. Four years later. If they were serious they would have done this years ago. So they made their millions off T.V. rights and jersey sales, Reggie got 300K and house for him family to live in. Big deal.

Hey Boltfan how in the hell do you loose to the chiefs?
Bush won the Heisman, Young didn't. They aren't going to give him the trophy. Already said they wouldn't. Originally Posted by Wordsmith
Check!

The NCAA are a bunch of hypocrites Originally Posted by whosnext
Yep, they are .. just ask Da General Robert Montgomery Knight!

They took their time on the Bush case which started in 2006. WHY?, becuz USC was still competing for National Championships. L.A is the second largest media market and they did not want to loose the ad revenue. Which made them millions of dollars. It is becuz USC started to decline and Pete Carroll left, that they are now taking actions against Bush. Four years later. If they were serious they would have done this years ago. So they made their millions off T.V. rights and jersey sales, Reggie got 300K and house for him family to live in. Big deal. Originally Posted by whosnext
NOT! they took their time because the NCAA couldn't wipe their asses inside of 6 months. They are cronically understaffed given the number of institutions they have to deal with. Revenue had nothing to do with it, or rather lack of revenue for staffing did. USC wasn't in decline unless you apply elite standards which USC qualifies for, no question. If Texas loses 2 games this year and we might, the season will be a huge disappointment. most other schools would hold a fuckin' parade if they went 10-2 or 9-3.

From the NCAA website -

Approximately 95 percent of the revenue that the NCAA receives from television/marketing rights fees and championships is returned to the membership in the form of direct payments and event services. This section provides information on how the NCAA distributes this revenue, championships financial data, and links to comprehensive information on the revenues and expenses of NCAA member schools in all divisions.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaah...t+and+finances

so what does this say? it says the schools get the money not the NCAA itself. There's 120 or so major programs not counting D2 programs so at a ballpark that's well over 200 schools accredited by the NCAA. LA is a large market but by itself it is not a significant amount of the total. LA doesn't factor shit into the SEC or the Big Ten and look how much cash they generate. The NCAA also took their time to make sure they got it right because USC is an elite program (for now) and they needed to make a statement so people wouldn't take them for the slacker pussies they typically are.

another factor in how long the NCAA took was all the lawsuits and you know damn well how long that crap takes! That was Reggo himself stalling off the inevitable results, he was on the take bigtime. And it's in his nature try to stiff da gangstas just to stiff 'em. he was double-dipping anyway, both Michaels/Lake and Ornstein. What does that say about Reggo?

He only "decided" to give up da Statue so as to save himself the embarrassment of having it taken away and no other reason.

finally, Petey ran away to the NFL because he knew his program was on the grift and he didn't want to deal with the mess he allowed/made. Or you can believe he wanted to prove himself in the NFL again as he said. Take your pick.

I watched the interview with the gangsta dude on Real Sports and they seem to do some reasonable journalistic work there.

Everyone here is right to the point that Reggie really has the bling that matters. The only people who got screwed are the current kids at USC. I guess the good thing is when Matt Barkley will be a senior he can compete for a national championship that year. The kid looks to have the goods and will hopefully get better with age. Originally Posted by Boltfan
Check!
This week's top 25 games.

1. Alabama Crimson Tide (2-0) - winner - Alabama
Sep. 18: at Duke

Duke has Zero chance to win this game unless the entire Bama team gets food poisoning and has to forfeit! and that's not even a win.

2. Ohio State Buckeyes (2-0) - winner - Ohio State
Sep. 18: vs. Ohio U

Buckys win but I'm still waiting for Pryor to show me he's an elite QB.

3. Boise State Broncos (1-0) - winner - Boise State
Sep. 18: at Wyoming

Smurfies roll on the road.

4. T-C-U Horned Frogs (2-0) - winner - TCU
Sep. 18: vs. Baylor

Intriguing test for Baylor's QB, problem is Griffin could play lights out and da Bears still lose. TCU's too good.

5. Oregon Ducks (2-0) - winner - Oregon
Sep. 18: vs. Portland State

Well i said James Madison would just cash the check against Va Tech and look what happened. Not this time. This will be over early and ugly for P. State. enjoy the check.

6. Texas Longhorns (2-0) - winner - Texas
Sep. 18: at Texas Tech

Texas defense finally gets some turnovers and the run game shows up Tubby's D in Lubbock. Look for FozzyBear break a few, could have a 100 yard+ showing.

7. Oklahoma Sooners (2-0) - winner - Oklahoma
Sep. 18: vs. Air Force

Air Force is underrated but not in Bobbo's house. Sooners get a test and a W at home.

8. Nebraska Cornhuskers (2-0) - winner - Nebraska
Sep. 18: at Washington

Locker isn't really lighting up the world yet, he'll need to if the Huskies want to beat the Bugeaters. This could be close if Bo don't have a QB yet.

9. Iowa Hawkeyes (2-0) - winner - Iowa
Sep. 18: at Arizona

Captain Kirk could get tested by Arizona, Iowa should win this but possible upset if the other Stoops has his team ready.

10. Florida Gators (2-0) - winner - Florida
Sep. 18: at Tennessee

The other UT wasn't ready last week for a top team, they still aren't ready. Only a zillion turnovers gives the Vols any chance at all.

11. Wisconsin Badgers (2-0) - winner - Wisconsin
Sep. 18: vs. Arizona State

Don't know much about the Sun Devils this year, no matter, the Badgers play well at Camp Randall and should control this with classic grind it out offense.

12. Arkansas Razorbacks (2-0) - winner - Arkansas
Sep. 18: at Georgia

UGA could be in deep shit. no defense, no offense no chance. bet on Petrino running it up.

13. South Carolina Gamecocks (2-0) - winner - South Carolina
Sep. 18: vs. Furman

i have a Furman hat. just love the initials .. F. U. don't love their chances against Steve Superior.

14. Utah Utes (2-0) - winner - Utah
Sep. 18: at New Mexico

underestimated the Utes against Pitt, not this time. New Mexico stinks. Utes QB has hand injury, he could play with it tied behind his back and still win, N Mex is that bad.

15. L-S-U Tigers (2-0) - winner - LSU
Sep. 18: vs. Miss State

Tigers aren't showing much on offense but talent alone should make Mikey roar.

16. Auburn Tigers (2-0) - winner - Auburn
Sep. 18: vs. Clemson

Clemson is undefeated. not for long, they've played no one.

17. Miami-Florida Hurricanes (1-1)
Sep. 18: Idle

at least 'Canes can't lose this week

18. U-S-C Trojans (2-0) - winner - USC
Sep. 18: at Minnesota

gophers lost to S Dakota! still waiting for the Lane Kiffin era to begin. maybe this week?

19. Stanford Cardinal (2-0) - winner - Stanford
Sep. 18: vs. Wake Forest

Wake Forest gave up 48 to Duke. Duke! Stanford should score 35 by halftime.

20. Michigan Wolverines (2-0) - winner - Michigan
Sep. 18: vs. Massachusetts

cough up this one and they'll run ya right out of Ann Arbor, RichRod. don't lose that big Mo now yer job does depend on it.

21. West Virginia Mountaineers (2-0) - winner - W Va.
Sep. 18: vs. Maryland

W Va hasn't done much in close wins over bad teams, time for a good home win.

22. Penn State Nittany Lions (1-1) - winner - Penn St.
Sep. 18: vs. Kent State

JoePa rolls without Bama hangover, this is over by halftime.

23. Houston Cougars (2-0) - winner - Houston
Sep. 18: at U-C-L-A (Rose Bowl)

If UCLA can't score and can't stop K St.'s offense LOL they get fuckin' lit up by da Cougars!

24. Arizona Wildcats (2-0) - winner - Iowa
Sep. 18: vs. Iowa

Possible upset. Iowa is at home, that should get Captain Kirk by this time.

25. Oregon State Beavers (0-1) - winner - Oregon State
Sep. 18: vs. Louisville

My Alma Mater gets chewed up by a wild pack of Beavers! Alas the glory days are long gone in the Derby City.

Hey Boltfan how in the hell do you loose to the chiefs? Originally Posted by whosnext
I didn't lose to them.

It was devine intervention.
It was devine intervention.

I look forward to speaking with you this season. I guess GOD hates the Charges?