Hijacking vs. normal banter.....

JC, you raised a question in another thread, commenting on someone hijacking a thread.

I think in any discussion of a topic, there will be some normal back and forth while discussing the subject. To me, that does not constitute hijacking.

Hijacking, to me, is taking a thread so far removed from the subject, it's either another topic entirely, or has turned into utter nonsense, and should be redirected or closed as a thread.

Just my thoughts......

elg.....
I agree with sentiment of your post, which I think infers that hijacking is a very subjective issue. If one is involved in the 'normal back and forth' they might not see their off-topic banter as hijacking. That does not mean it is not. Or that it is. Eventually it comes down to the opinions of a moderator to enforce a rule that is very difficult to enforce objectively.
I prescribe to the string theory. Every thread will eventually become about more than the original topic, if it survives long enough. The test is whether that involves a left turn or a long curve. If you can look at the life of a thread and follow the string back to the original post, it is a successful thread. If it turns into a cat fight about something other than the original topic, it usually is due to a hijack.......there are exceptions.

Under normal circumstances a modtard would first encourage everyone to stay on topic before hitting retards with points. This is where history comes into play. If a retard has a history of hijacking threads, he/she is not likely to get that warning.
It is very subjective, agreed. Here is the exact guideline

#6 - Respect the topics presented by those who start a thread. Attempts to derail a thread or change it's direction is referred to as thread hijack and will be discouraged. Attempts to guide a thread in the right direction are appreciated, while responses to posts which hijack a thread are not.
Post as you will.
I view hijacking as a normal course of action on the Interwebs. I will nudge members to keep on track if things get really out of hand, but I rarely issue points for this infraction...unless I'm trying to make a point to someone...