Before, after or both?

• TheDr
  • 10-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Back lifting heavy again and was curious. I've started using Gold Standard 100% Whey for protein supplement. Have gotten different opinions about timing. Do most take protein supplements before a workout, afterwards or both?

After.
Do they have a "with curds" version?
Depends on how your current nutrition is. If you consume a clean fairly well balanced meal 1.5 - 2 hours before your workout; then only need to take shake after within 30min post training. Eat another well balanced meal approximately 1 hr after shake. FYI: do not mix shake with milk.
I would ask a Pro vs a hooker site, if I were serious and not just wanting attention. However, definitely within 20 minutes after but a lot varies with what you're trying to accomplish. Especially if you're not a spring chicken.Best of luck.
  • TheDr
  • 10-05-2014, 10:27 AM
I would ask a Pro vs a hooker site, if I were serious and not just wanting attention. However, definitely within 20 minutes after but a lot varies with what you're trying to accomplish. Especially if you're not a spring chicken.Best of luck. Originally Posted by christopher bede
Hilarious, I accidentally hit 'like' when trying to respond to this. Not sure where the fuck that comment came from but I assure you I don't need attention on a hooker board. I know there are several here (and Iron Man in Beaumont) who discuss fitness matters and just wondered what their thoughts were. What I'm using is prolly pretty generic (possibly) so wanted a bit of insight on that too. This being an unregulated industry full of 'kooks' and blow hards I just want to see what other folks experiences were. Regarding the supplement itself I know cost does not equate to quality (similar to the hookers on this sight and others). Sure I've asked pro's but again just wondered what others experiences were. Thx for your contribution playa...
Depends on how your current nutrition is. If you consume a clean fairly well balanced meal 1.5 - 2 hours before your workout; then only need to take shake after within 30min post training. Eat another well balanced meal approximately 1 hr after shake. FYI: do not mix shake with milk. Originally Posted by racegear20

^ Racegear excellent advice.
Back lifting heavy again and was curious. I've started using Gold Standard 100% Whey for protein supplement. Have gotten different opinions about timing. Do most take protein supplements before a workout, afterwards or both?
Originally Posted by TheDr
Dr. you probably already know this but goal setting is important from the jump. Not saying this is you but a lot of people go straight from couch potato to heavy lifting and that's a recipe for disaster / major injury. Heavy lifting should be very gradual after you've reached certain fitness milestones and certainly not every time you hit the gym. I look at protein as means to achieve certain gains but it should be done in conjunction with a well balanced or clean diet.

When I first started working out yrs back this steroid taking kid from A&M was training me and had me maxing out weekly until I injured myself. I learned from that lesson and now I train with moderate weight for cuts. I lift heavy for size once a week but that's all I need. I don't go for the bulk look I'd rather lean and ripped but we all have different goals.
After and try some T+ by ONIT that stuff is insane for over the counter stuff. I put on some serious muscle in just three months and I'm an old fuck.
ON is a good company, been around for years.

Per your questions it really on depends on your lifestyle and goals. Nothing is going to beat clean solid food. You do have a certain window post workout that a simple carb and protein powder are most effective. Timing depends on study but with in 30 minutes should be good. Something like a Vitargo mixed with protein powder works great post workout. They are both simple for the body to breakdown and therefor utilized quicker.
  • TheDr
  • 10-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Depends on how your current nutrition is. If you consume a clean fairly well balanced meal 1.5 - 2 hours before your workout; then only need to take shake after within 30min post training. Eat another well balanced meal approximately 1 hr after shake. FYI: do not mix shake with milk. Originally Posted by racegear20
Thx racegear. Yea I mix it with a bottled water.

Dr. you probably already know this but goal setting is important from the jump. Not saying this is you but a lot of people go straight from couch potato to heavy lifting and that's a recipe for disaster / major injury. Heavy lifting should be very gradual after you've reached certain fitness milestones and certainly not every time you hit the gym. I look at protein as means to achieve certain gains but it should be done in conjunction with a well balanced or clean diet.

When I first started working out yrs back this steroid taking kid from A&M was training me and had me maxing out weekly until I injured myself. I learned from that lesson and now I train with moderate weight for cuts. I lift heavy for size once a week but that's all I need. I don't go for the bulk look I'd rather lean and ripped but we all have different goals. Originally Posted by Zanzibar789
In my case I've worked out for years but never sought bulk until recently. I was dating a PYT and she wanted more muscle. She's since kicked me to the curb but I still want to get some size for my own vain purposes. Not looking for body builder shyte but do want more size. After slowly increasing the weights and then finally agreeing to workout with my boy at the gym, after a week and half am already seeing some real change. Never wanted to work with anybody else 'cause I've got my own thing but damn ole boy is pushing me waaayy past my comfort zone. I'm sore in some crazy places. I see increases in my arms, shoulders, back. Hell I have never had such a dent in my chest- like fucking cleavage. LMFAO

I've got a six pack even at 50+yrs so my diet is decent. Could be better but it's not ridiculous. Trying to eat more so I can get my weight back up. The ladies in my office are talking about me 'cause my pants are too loose (that was before recently though).

After and try some T+ by ONIT that stuff is insane for over the counter stuff. I put on some serious muscle in just three months and I'm an old fuck. Originally Posted by peabody
Peabody if you could PM me info on what you're using that would be great.

ON is a good company, been around for years.

Per your questions it really on depends on your lifestyle and goals. Nothing is going to beat clean solid food. You do have a certain window post workout that a simple carb and protein powder are most effective. Timing depends on study but with in 30 minutes should be good. Something like a Vitargo mixed with protein powder works great post workout. They are both simple for the body to breakdown and therefor utilized quicker. Originally Posted by Goatnipples
Thx Goatnipples. As mentioned above the diet is decent but I'm sure could get better. Post divorce the diet has not been as good but is getting better. The buddy I work out with is big on protein before and within 30 minutes after so that's what I've been doing this past week. Would the Vitargo mixed with protein powder be more effective in your opinion than the ON protein mix I'm using now?
You would use the Vitargo and protein together post workout.
I mix mine with skim milk for the extra 9 grams of protein and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter for another 6 grams, helps heal sore muscles and for me it's an entire meal! I eat 2 hours before always!
  • TheDr
  • 10-05-2014, 06:05 PM
You would use the Vitargo and protein together post workout. Originally Posted by Goatnipples
Thx.

I mix mine with skim milk for the extra 9 grams of protein and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter for another 6 grams, helps heal sore muscles and for me it's an entire meal! I eat 2 hours before always! Originally Posted by Anna Star
Interesting Anna, thx.
I would ask a Pro vs a hooker site, if I were serious and not just wanting attention. However, definitely within 20 minutes after but a lot varies with what you're trying to accomplish. Especially if you're not a spring chicken.Best of luck. Originally Posted by christopher bede
These armatures don't have a clue about getting attention on a SHMB.