Westboro Baptist Church

I like to think that we are a community that cares about more than just the hobby. The hateful, people of Westboro Babtist Church plan on protesting a marines funeral next Monday up in Nashville. It isn't that much of a drive for me. I have spent most of the day today organizing and talking to Marine biker groups and others that I know from the Huntsville area to go up to Nashville and help this family. If you are in the area I know the family would appreciate any support they can get in this time.

http://www.kevinmontgomery.com/2011/...spect-join-us/
  • cxe1
  • 06-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I usually stay behind the scenes lurking, but this issue is worth responding to so here is the best plan I've heard

This is a Great summary of what happened in Rankin County at a similar military funeral:

The Kansas protesters did show up. A couple of days before, one of them ran his mouth at a Brandon gas station and got his ass waxed. Police were called and the beaten man could not give much of a description of who beat him. When they canvassed the station and spoke to the large crowd that had gathered around, no one seemed to remember anything about what had happened.

Rankin County handled this thing perfectly. There were many things that were put into place that most will never know about and at great expense to the county.

Most of the morons never made it out of their hotel parking lot. It seems that certain Rankin county pickup trucks were parked directly behind any car that had Kansas plates in the hotel parking lot and the drivers mysteriously disappeared until after the funeral was over. Police were called but their wrecker service was running behind and it was going to be a few hours before they could tow the trucks so the Kansas plated cars could get out.

A few made it to the funeral but were ushered away to be questioned about a crime they might have possibly been involved in. Turns out, after a few hours of questioning, that they were not involved and they were allowed to go on about their business.

Rankin deserves a hand in how they handled this situation.
westboro asswipes, wish i could go and support the Marine's family. if i did, you'd have to bail me out of jail.

I am going to probably ruffle some feathers, but as a Military family, sometimes I don't say the politically correct thing...I say what I feel.

I guarantee our Founding Fathers, who incorporated free speech into our Constitution in the first place, would never have allowed this sort of thing to happen under the guise of free speech. We do, but I feel that they wouldn't have. Just my humble opinion, but based on the common sense they had and the regard for general decency (which is something we haven't seen for awhile ) based on how they acted and thought, I doubt they would have just shrugged their shoulders and said well, guess we have to let 'em disrupt military funerals.

Another thought of mine is the Consitution says free speech is used to speek against the government. That being said, a funeral of a Marine, Soldier, Seaman or Airman is not the government. Once this person is dead they are not considered to be part of the government. I say it is not protected under free speech.

Free speech applies to all the states, even though not originally.
But it just seems to me that it's gone too far. Is there such a thing as TOO much freedom? Some would say oh no, there could never be too much freedom! But what about doing whatever we want to do, whenever we feel like doing it? That's exactly the cultural mindset right now in the year 2010.

Freedom of speech has never ever been unlimited. But we think it is unlimited, a lot of us, and the Westboro folks think that way, for sure. We all see crap everyday but not as bad as a "church", twisting religion in the name of God, intentionally disrupting a Military funeral. They do this just because these "church" people don't like what it supposedly stands for. I can guarantee you that if one of their "church" members dies, which of course they will, if someone so much as attempted to disrupt that, they would scream to the high heavens with outrage.

Nicole, I am glad you brought this up. It's about 3.5 hours from me, and I am now taking Monday off. I have a Marines funeral to attend.

Semper Fi
Character baby I couldn't agree more with what you said. I know that neither I or my brothers and sisters who have or still do serve, none of us fought for this kind of speech. I love the Rankin County incident but unfortunately I think Nashville is to big a place for a similar event to occur. I honestly think all we can hope for here is a huge outpouring from the community to support and protect the family from having to see or deal with this. It would be nice if the local media shunned them as well. These people love media attention and should be given none whatsoever, the focus should be on this family and the loss of their Marine.

Semper Fi
Heather,

Count me in! Just let me know when and where, maybe we can ride together??? Damn Bible Thumping Asses! Maybe they should actually OPEN the Bible and READ
THE WORDS about how to treat your neighbor!!!
First, the Supreme Court has upheld their right to protest as free speech, so that's an argument we can not win any more.

Second, what they do is disgusting, as is much of what is done by religious and political zealots. I'm retired from the Army and have often thought about joining the groups who protect the families at the funerals, but I've not had that opportunity yet. I'm not in the area, or I would come. I hope, Heather, that you've alerted the biker organizations who have members who always do this kind of thing - can't remember the name of those guys group.

BTW, I've never had high regard for Rankin County, but they've now stepped up in my opinion!

I hope those who respond to Heather's call are able to keep those assholes from Kansas away from this funeral.

There are a few things that make my skin crawl, like poisonous snakes and large rats. Groups like these fanatics, and the KKK and Nazi groups, not only make my skin crawl, then make me incredibly angry. I'm afraid I'd be joining PJ in jail if I was able to go.

Ciao,

JaG
those are total hypocrites!

I feel sad for the people they protest!
I wish that I could be there! I would be sitting in the cell next to Papa Joe!
lol ditto--they need some Texas style justice....lots of piney woods to "hide things in"...!
Find all your friends with cars and trucks....Park behind any car with Kansas plates on it until after the funeral!

This was done for a fallen hero in Ms. not too long back and not one "illegally" parked vehicle was towed or ticketed.....if you search the hotel parking lots, fast food and other places people are likely to go after a 10 hour trip....you will have success!

And I would stand beside all the rest of you in jail!
MY MY what has this world come to. I can't be there but if I could yeah I would be needing bail as well. Although I am not physically there just know I am still there.
MY MY what has this world come to. I can't be there but if I could yeah I would be needing bail as well. Although I am not physically there just know I am still there. Originally Posted by naughtynatale

this situation does suck.

Nat babee, we could share a cell, though.
I cant make it to ashville...but dammit let them come here!
As someone who lives in Kansas, pls do not consider these assw*pes to be in any
way representive of Kansas folks. Although we do have our share of conservative folks, sometimes more than I care...irregardless of conservative or liberal, these nut cases DO NOT come even close to those of us living in Kansas.

One tatic which we notice in local news...yea we need to read about these nuts way more often than other parts of country...which seems to piss them off, is folks riding
Harley's, with decease family's help, encircling them and then...well u know, making them feel unwelcome