Self Terminating Appointment Request

Lately, I have been making self terminating appointment requests. Say the appointment is for the 20th, I place in the request a statement similar to: if I have not heard from you by such and such a time on such and such a date, please consider this request terminated. If I only have a Saturday night, this may give me another day or two to invoke Plan B.

From both guys and gals: is this a rare or common practice?
Lately, I have been making self terminating appointment requests. Say the appointment is for the 20th, I place in the request a statement similar to: if I have not heard from you by such and such a time on such and such a date, please consider this request terminated. If I only have a Saturday night, this may give me another day or two to invoke Plan B.

From both guys and gals: is this a rare or common practice? Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
No it's not. I've never had a client tell me that/and I don't tell potential clients that. It's a bit rude IMHO
I agree with Naomi, it comes off a bit rude, If you have not heard back in a day or so and get a reply back too late you can always just say, sorry but I didn't hear back so I assumed you were busy and made other arrangement's. Thank you for your time.
Simple
Ive never had anyone do that. Charles I would reply instantly to you
I have never had this type of msg sent to me. In all honesty I don't find anything wrong with it and I wouldn't consider it rude.
I've never had this happen to me either & it is indeed rude.

I think most providers are pretty quick to answer emails simply because most of us have advanced cell plans with email/internet access.

I check my email every few hours and 99% of the time I reply by the next day at the latest. I'd say that if you haven't heard back from a lady within a few days, she's either very busy or doesn't want to see you for whatever reason (maybe the weird/rude 'self terminating email'). Just a thought.
Wow, that is cold. Does anyone respond positively? I always thought the idea was to be warm and friendly as opposed to sounding like the IRS. My guess is that your self-terminating invites will increase your need for Plan B.

Here is an idea to speed up the decision making process. Why not add a penalty clause: "If you do not respond within 24 hours I will deduct $50 from your donation." That will get their attention.

Awl4knot
I think that's a good practice actually, but maybe with a change in the wording lol. With such busy lives today, people literally can't keep up with half of the things they book. It's always a good idea to have a confirmation point. I normally ask they confirm the night before or the morning of. If I don't hear from them, I don't contact them asking what's up, I simply move on.
It’s to the point if I don't have a number to call, I just move on. If I don't hear from them, oh well. If they call back later I try to fit them into my schedule. Either way I keep moving. Dead lines seem to be a waste of time.
  • MrGiz
  • 09-08-2011, 07:20 AM
I haven't heard of it... but it's not a terrible idea. I don't see what's so "rude" about it... it's simply being honest. If I cannot plan ahead well enough, I rarely try for last minute requests. In fact, I believe last minute requests to be comparitively rude!

I guess it does "sound " a little cold though....
I haven't heard of it... but it's not a terrible idea. I don't see what's so "rude" about it... it's simply being honest. If I cannot plan ahead well enough, I rarely try for last minute requests. In fact, I believe last minute requests to be comparitively rude!

I guess it does "sound " a little cold though.... Originally Posted by MrGiz
If I were to receive an email like that. I would take such as a self alert and ignore it . That way he can move on to someone else.
I don't find the intention rude (I also need to know what I'm doing and when, for certain, well before the requested date), but the wording is rather abrasive. Mostly it's just the word "terminated". Brings to mind frightening images of Ahhhnold in his acting heyday.

Something like, "However, I will need to make firm plans by Wednesday at the latest, so if we aren't able to confirm our date by then, sadly I won't be able to meet." would go over better with me.
I don't see how this method would be rude or abrasive. If a provider replies in time- that's great! But if she if she take a long time to get back to the inquirer then she knows she doesn't have to take time to reply back only to find out he made other plans because it took to long to get a response. a gent's time is also valuable and maybe he doesn't want to have to wait 3 days to get an initial response.

I like how Carrie re-worded the statement as well.

Something like, "However, I will need to make firm plans by Wednesday at the latest, so if we aren't able to confirm our date by then, sadly I won't be able to meet." would go over better with me. Originally Posted by Carrie Hillcrest
^ What Carrie said. I'll adjust my terminology. But I still think there is value in putting an end to the request. Saves times on both ends.
Perfect.

I believe he is only trying to protect his time he values. No need for him to sit around the computer waiting for a reply from a provider that may never come.

Carrie post is perfect.

I don't find the intention rude (I also need to know what I'm doing and when, for certain, well before the requested date), but the wording is rather abrasive. Mostly it's just the word "terminated". Brings to mind frightening images of Ahhhnold in his acting heyday.

Something like, "However, I will need to make firm plans by Wednesday at the latest, so if we aren't able to confirm our date by then, sadly I won't be able to meet." would go over better with me. Originally Posted by Carrie Hillcrest
A request is just a request. If she doesn't get back to you in a timely manner (whatever that means to you personally) you have no commitment. Simply say, "sorry, I didn't hear from you and I made other plans. Perhaps we can get together next time".

No point in giving someone the wrong impression. You may choose to play with her another time when it is convenient for the both of you.