Tattoo Protocol

Just curious:
  1. How do you find a good tattoo parlor
  2. How do you find a safe one
  3. How do you know the artist's quality is good
  4. How do you know the artist is that: an artist
  5. How much to tattoos cost
  6. Any other discussions
I only have one tattoo but from my experience, a good tattoo parlor is one that is safe, have quality artist's. When I shopped around for a place for mine, I used did it with a combination of online research and word of mouth. I looked for reviews of tattoo parlors in town for hours. I read the good and the bad of each place. I had to keep in mind that anyone can post a review. Sometimes you have competing shops slag other ones, etc so you have to keep that in mind. If a place has consistant bad reviews though, it makes you wonder. I found the process very similar to looking for a provider. I took the time to research. If I am going to take the time to look for a gal I want to see for a 15 min BBBJCIM session, rest assured I am going to take the time to find someone who is going to mark me up for life.

Word of mouth was good too, who better else to ask for advice in selecting a place to go than from someone who has been through it. The most important question I asked was "would you go back to that tattoo parlor for another tattoo"? If you plan on getting a second tattoo, I would ask the artist themselves who tattooed them. Artists tend to be very particular about who works on them.

I learned that the cost of the tattoo can be influenced by a couple of things. Reputation, if this tattoo parlor has done well in reader polls, etc they will charge more. Location, expect to pay more at a tattoo parlor on 6th street here in austin because the rent is high. I found parlors charge by the hour. Anywhere between 75-150 bucks an hour.

I would love more feedback from others too b/c I am in the market for another tattoo
I have a half sleeve and my thighs tattooed currently. I eventually want to have a full sleeve and many more, I love getting tattooed and I LOOOOVE men with tattoos.

There are many "good" tattoo parlors, just do your research. Peek at the artists work to see what kind of tattoo's they specialize in, ask questions, etc.

Most tattoo artists have to be good artists to be able to work in a decent shop, like I said, ask to see some previous work and make sure you have planned what you want. In most cases a stencil will be made and placed on your body before the tattoo, if you like it, you can decide to go through with it, if you don't, you can ask them to modify it.

Tattoos can be expensive, it all depends on where you're going, how big the tattoo is, if it has color or not, and the general idea of the tattoo. My half sleeve has cost me about 700$ so far, which is not too bad.

GET INKED!
But remember, the cheapest place is usually the worst. The art is going to be on your body forever, so why not pay a little bit more for better quality work?
word of mouth is pretty good. also being able to view the person's work as well. as far as safe goes... the equipment should all come directly out of the package. unused needles and such. they should wear gloves and sanatation is the key. you should be aware though... even if they are safe and all, there is still the chance you can contract hep from the ink they use if they have done work on someone who was infected.... it happened to my Aunt about 5 years ago. And believe me... you will know because where ever the tat is placed, the whole area will glow yellow.... not good. but this doesn't happen to often. but it is possible. just do your research like you would on a provider and you'll be fine.
1. Ask around, do the research and make sure you get a good tattooist.
There are even some reviews sites like this that cover tattoo art.

One example:
http://www.ustattoostudios.com/index.asp

2. the truly "safe" shops will have a notice displayed from either their local Health department or other local authority which shows they truly care about the cleanliness of their shop.

3. You ask to see other work he/she has done. And again, ask around.

While you're out look at other people's tattoo's, when you see one that strikes your eye ask about it. people love to brag about them too..

4. A true artist is defined by their work and not all artists have diplomas to display.
They will however, have a portfolio to show you. And possible some awards or newspaper article cut outs.

5. Tattoos can cost anywhere from under $100 up into the thousands. It all depends on the studio and what you want.

There are tattoo magazines, internet forums and your local bars to research good tattoos.
And having that tattoo forever is worth the time to find the right person to do it.

And no, I don't have any myself. I do have lots of friends with them and have designed several for friends.
I'd probably do Tats if it wasn't for the fainting at the sight of blood thing...........
I'm seriously considering my first tattoo. When I see someone with a colorful and very detailed tat, I ask them where they go.
I'm going to Artistic Encounters to talk about a side piece.
  • Paven
  • 07-28-2010, 05:59 AM
All of what AngelaKharma said. Also don't put it anywhere that may stretch or sag in the future. Don't haggle the price, you pay for what you get. Also remember no pool, ocean, hot tub sun or sand while it's healing and make sure you always put sunscreen on it if it's visible to the elements. That will help keep it nice for years. Oh and most important don't EVER put your old ladies name on your body that's a sure fire way to dissolve that relationship, kids names or grandparents portraits are cool as they will always be your relation. Good luck with your search!
Good advise, thanks P. I think I will wait until after labor day to get mine. Maybe that will lessen my desire to go in the sun.
In order for a tattoo parlor to be open in Texas, they must be licensed by the Dept. of State Health Services. So as long as the parlor you're going to isn't in the back of some dude's garage, you should be alright. Just ask to see their license and inspection certificates. (They must be readily visible.) Texas is one of the few states that you can still donate blood after having gotten a tattoo there. In most other states, you have to wait a year.

A good way to learn about the local artists is to hit up a tattoo convention. Walk around, meet people, ask to see their tattoos. If you see one you like, ask who did their work. Or you can just head to the parlor and ask if the artists on the clock have portfolios you can check out. If they don't, skip 'em. They're either new or their hacks. Most will have an album at the counter. Also ask to see any original work, not stuff straight off the wall. If you like what you see, show them what you're interested in and ask them to draw something up. They should want a deposit of some kind. (Nothing's free.)

As to the cost, it depends on the artist and the size and complexity of the tattoo. Smaller, simpler tattoos will probably just be a straight fee, (45/a letter, etc.). Bigger, more colorful tattoos will be done on an hourly fee, up to 500/hr in my experience. If its more than 10-12 hours of work, they should cut you a deal. And tip 'em. The guy/lady is permanently scarring your body; you want them happy.

I recommend Sundays. They're usually slower days in the parlor and it won't ruin your weekend by making you have to tend to a fresh tattoo Friday and Saturday night. Keep the bastard moist and juicy afterwards, I like Aquaphor, but any A&D ointment should be fine.
Good advise, thanks P. I think I will wait until after labor day to get mine. Maybe that will lessen my desire to go in the sun. Originally Posted by anova444

Don't do it Analisa...
Really Baseplate? How about a small one near my hip bone?
Tattoos are like real estate . . . location is all-important . . .

And size can matter . . . in general, smaller is better . . .
1) What everyone else said about safety and cleanliness
2) Aftercare is very VERY important!!
3) As far as choosing an artist...ALWAYS look at the portfolio of the SPECIFIC ARTIST that you are going to have do your work. Usually there will just be like 5 or 6 Portfolios sitting on a counter and you look through them...make sure you are getting the artist that you actually appreciate. Also, and this is just my opinon, go to a place that doesn't do "flash" or at the very least doesn't have a bunch of flash all over their walls. Flash is cookie cutter tattoo design and you could end up with the exact same tattoo as hundreds of other people.
4) Don't be cheap...this is NOT the time to bargain hunt.

I will PM you the name of my artist who ONLY does original, custom art work as well as a link to her online portfoilo.
I'd echo the "don't do it". It's with you forever and the colors almost always wind up sickly blue. If you really feel like doing something, go the transfer route. That way, when the fad is over, you're not stuck with the sickly blue thing.
usually best to stay away from main stream tattoo places. They usually just hire whoever can hold a needle. Make sure they clean the needles and use fresh ink. Diseases get transferred through the ink just as well.