Agreement for Austin to host Formula1 Racing from 2012 to 2021

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html
Woo hoo!!!

Already a lot of fast drivers in Austin (couple of national champs in auto-x and kart).
  • Mokoa
  • 05-27-2010, 12:39 AM
Reminds me of when we had the Nissan Grand Prix here in SA back in the '90's. They ran GTP racers (like what they run in the 24 hours at Le Mans) in that event. I had wonderful times at those events.

If they did this as a street race around Lady Bird Lake and across the many bridges THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!! It would be much better than the races they used to have in Long Beach, which put that place on the map.

But true to form they're not gonna do that.

Instead they're gonna spend $400 million on a racetrack in DelleValley. Therefore it will be nestled between the jailhouse complex and the mobile home courts.

What a joke!
  • FWR
  • 05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Am I right in thinking that when a course is built for the F1 race, it would be a waste to run only one race a yer on this course? This seems like it could be an economic impact far greater than the one race a year.

Since the cars are flown in, the course will be close to the airport, and fans drive in so close to a hiway. I am thinking I-35 between Ben White and Slaughter, or anywhere along Tx 130 within 15 miles of the airport
I'm sure FIA will use the track for other race events. Hopefully MotoGP

Montreal, the track is set up on a park. So for one time a year, it'll host Formula1 and some other events like Ferrari Challenge and Mazda series. Outside of that event, it's just a park.

At this point, it's tough to build out a 5-mile track in Austin that'll meet sound ordinance and zoning without being a place like DelValle.
I like the Hungary track. Next to a huge waterpark and the event hosts a lot of beautiful Hungarian women.