A pie-in-the-sky suggestion on redistricting.

Gerrymandering is wrong no matter who does it.

My suggestion is to base the districts for congressional representatives on the USPS zip code boundaries . . .based on residential addresses. Just stack contiguous adjacent zipcode areas until the total number of residents is enough to make a concretional district.

Oh sure, there will have to be tweaks and it is just not that simple, but that is the basic idea.

It would take a Constitutional amendment, but could be done.
  • WTF
  • 12-05-2022, 10:41 AM
I'm all for fixing Gerrymandering. It is the death of our Republic.

I actually like Alaska's way of voting. It gives more power to Centrist candidates instead of the wackos like Trumps,MTG and AOC.
I'm all for fixing Gerrymandering. It is the death of our Republic.

I actually like Alaska's way of voting. It gives more power to Centrist candidates instead of the wackos like Trumps,MTG and AOC. Originally Posted by WTF

Alaska's way of voting is a nightmare.

Georgia's is better in that you have to have 50% to actually get elected. This does allow for more to run, but only the top two can be in a runoff election.

Alaska's system is nightmare allowing people to rank candidates in order.
  • WTF
  • 12-05-2022, 01:22 PM
Alaska's way of voting is a nightmare.

Georgia's is better in that you have to have 50% to actually get elected. This does allow for more to run, but only the top two can be in a runoff election.

Alaska's system is nightmare allowing people to rank candidates in order. Originally Posted by farmstud60
It is a nightmare for the nut jobs on both the left and right.
It is a nightmare for the nut jobs on both the left and right. Originally Posted by WTF

Nope, it is a nightmare for everyone.
  • WTF
  • 12-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Nope, it is a nightmare for everyone. Originally Posted by farmstud60
You obviously have not read up on how instead of a left wing loon vs a right wing loon as the only choice voters have....you are able to have a Moderate candidate that can beat both loons with this system of voting.
Checking to see what a group of people living in proximity to others who voted the same way, is no way to draw districts. Just draw freakin straight lines till you get enough people to call it a district, regardless if the people are White, Black, Brown or any other color or how they previously voted.
Check this out. Gerrymandering at it’s most absurd.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/TX/18
I am amazed, but perhaps shouldn't be.

The op suggested a way to eliminate the worst abusdes of gerrymandering. I had imagines that this topic would be a basically neutral subject where we all could examine the pros and cons without refence to our personal political views to any great extent. And how wrong I was in thinking that!

Did find a small patch of common ground with WTF. Thanks to WTF and Hedonist too.
rank choice system is absurd.

you have a multiple rounds and they generally take some time to calculate.

Alaska had an open primary where the top 4 made it the general ranked run off system.

this setup was stupid.

Alaska's system should have only set it up for 2 rounds; top two should make it to round 2.

i don't like it, but i could live with one having only 2 rounds.
The whole point of Gerrymandering is to give a particular "identity", Republican, Democrat, race and now gender a way to get into Congress. You see, we must find a way to get more "gender fluid" people like Sam Brinton into Congress and what better way to do that than find a group of gender fluid people and draw a boundary around them like they do Republicans, Democrats, Whites and Blacks. It's right there in our face but the powers that be, that being Democrats for now it seems, don't care if they have to discriminate to fix discrimination and get a certain identity in Congress.

Here's an idea, pass laws that apply to all Americans regardless of their particular preferences. What is good for a White person is good for the the Black and Brown person as well but when you want to give preferences to one color, gender or party, you fuck with the lines.