Car dealership help please!!

Okay so I bought this car from a dealership here in Louisiana about a month ago. I traded in another car and put down a pretty large amount of cash as a down payment. I signed all of the papers and so did my co-signer. They told me they still needed proof of income and I had a friend who could do that for me. I let them know I would be shown as an independent contractor and they said that is fine. Now they said that this is not okay and they want the car back. I understand that part and told them I have no problem bringing it back but they are saying they are keeping my trade in and the money I put down. I didn't mess up the vehicle whatsoever just put some miles on it.

Is it fair for them to keep all that stuff? If not, what do I need to do to ensure I don't get screwed over?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Maybe I should add I did use my flirtatious nature to persuade the dealer. I thought it would just be a little hanky panky and mama has a new ride. Then things got weird. He started wanting a relationship and as soon as I turned him down and "broke his heart" the dealership wanted the car back and my loan was denied.
#1 they have to Return every penny of down payment as well as the trade if the bank will not cash the contract, if they have sold the trade you are entitled to the cash back as well, you need an attorney ASAP, I'd grab a cheap fresh out of law school one to save cash as this should take less than 2 phone calls bc of the liability they have at stake... They can't do anything like that, I would keep the car til reimbursed in full....
Check your PM Tanner
If the loan was denied the contract is not valid and they would have to give your car and money back that you traded in.sounds like sub-prime lending.louisiana is not a freewill state so in order to repo your car they would have to knock on your door and ask for the car,if you say get screwed they would have to pay the sheriff and state,and get a court order to repo
Thank you all for your messages of advice. Sounds a bit like they are full of sh*t and trying to bully me. They even called my mom who was my co signer and told her she could go to jail for this. I found out you can't go to jail especially since I have offered to bring it back. After that I let them know not to contact my mom ever again especially threatening her. I wish they would take it back. I don't even want them getting my business now.
This is civil not criminal,they can't do shit
That's what I told her but I still don't like her worrying. I don't see why they even called her to be honest. It's not her car... Idk it's like because I am younger I need them to contact my parents. Makes me angry.
well its called scare tactics,they can call anyone on your credit application,or anyone that knows you.There are so many ways to skip trace[find you] anywhere
Well, new issue. I told them I would drive it back and get the down payment and my trade in back and they said they don't have my trade in anymore.
Do they have another car on the lot with sale price equal to what they gave you in trade-in, plus your down payment?
I'm not sure I am 17 hours away lol nothing on the site though.
Ouch!!! Never a good idea to buy a car from a dealer that far away...
I'm touring lol every where is far away when you live in a different hotel every couple of days darling.
OK I understand. I've bought a lot of cars but never driven them off the lot until financing was approved. Don't think I've ever heard of a case like yours.