Bike trails

New to the sport, wondering if anyone knows of some nice bike trails. Off road would be awesome. I am not sure of any places in San ANtonio.
Theres :

OP schnabel out by DeZavala and babcock with trails ranging from beginner to bat shit crazy. Its in the center or a very large ravine.

Mcallister park. Huge. Get lost.

Soccer fields near the basin off Basse/281, lots flat trails
Mcalister is good for off road trails...not too challenging but fun.

Are you aware of the city greenways? They are paved so they are not 'offroad" but if you want to ride without getting hit by a car or smelling exhaust fumes they are the way to go.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/parksandre...ay_trails.aspx
Ditto on the green ways. Although they are paved most have trails that's bikers have used for years that criss-cross them. On some of the trails you can go 15 miles one way.
  • HUMP!
  • 12-12-2014, 06:12 AM
As mentioned, Leon Creek Greenway is paved and worth doing, has dirt offshoots; goes I-10/1604 all the way to bus hub behind Ingram Mall. Has put-ins on Hausman, Bandera, Grissom, more.
Government Canyon State Natural Area out 471, challenging mountain biking.
Hill Country SNA outside Bandera, TX, challenging mountain biking.
Like in this hobby: always be smart, guy was airlifed out of there several years ago, fell into a ravine. Always bring water and energy.
The Leon Creek green way trail is about 13.5 miles in length, according to the website. One end starts in the back of the VIA bus station parking lot, across from Joe's Volcano (near Ingram Park Mall). The other end is the backside of the Drury Inn, near the intersection of I10 and 1604 (across the highway from Fiesta Texas). The main trail is concrete, or blacktop, the entire length, and I'm huessing it to be about 8' wide. Much of it is crisscrossed with dirt trails, especially near OP Snaubbel Park. You'll see a lot of bicyclists, runners, walkers, baby strollers, dog walkers, etc. you'll often see deer, road runners, rabbits, and I've even seen a few coyotes and fox. There are some gorgeous, fit women there too.
Leon Creek is a good place to start, McAllister is ok,not as picturesque though,Mission area has paved bike paths also.
Thank you all for all the information, mature 210 hit it right on, there is a lot of trim to look at and pick up. I've picked up some leg at the trail I hit up, but it's time to look else wear you know, I don't want to pump that well dry you know. Once again thanks
Also trails on salado creek starting at pecan valley on se side. It's a nice ride. And there's also trails on the medina river on the sw side
Short drive to Comfort out I-10 you can ride some really nice well maintained trails at Flat Rock Ranch. Canyon Park at Canyon lake also has a very technical loop, hit it up twice then jump in the lake. Third look at Austin for the Barton Creek Greenbelt trails starting at 290 and Mopar loop 1. Awesome rides for 1 hr drive. You can find all these destinations online.
Glad someone mentioned the greenway.

I'm still surprised this po'dunk town had the foresight to create them for the public.

Only done a couple of them. Did the whole length of the Ingram-IH10 trail.

Had a Provider join me for the downtown one all the way to Espada south of 410.

Want to try the Tobin trail.

I think the one on the SE side has a few undesirables hanging out. Okay for a guy but not a lady by herself.