The reason for the 'unwritten rule' for writing dollar amunts in code?

This was a discussion that derailed another thread in the Spa/Studio section, so thought I'd bring it up here, where it would actually be on-topic.

What is the deal with writing out dollar amounts such as $$$ instead of $300 or $.60 instead of $60? (Or is that $160?) I'm sure that confuses the heck out of newbies and even I sometimes have a hard time deciphering it.

Perhaps there is some historical relevance to it, where guys used to do it for some reason, and then that reason no longer applied, but they just kept doing it out of habit, and then newcomers started doing it just because everybody else did it that way? If it is an LE concern, I doubt that would help you much if you were busted because of it, as it is obvious that you paid SOMETHING.

So I don't know if we can all agree to stop using code and start writing dollar amounts normally, but I have rarely (if ever) used the code, will continue to write amounts out normally, and would encourage other guys to do the same.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Now that is a great idea!
I just assumed it was for legal reasons to not spell out the amount.
It's ALWAYS seemed terribly childish to me since the review had the coded fee (and let's not forget the super-duper secret coded alphabet soup), but only mouse clicks away, and even on the same website, was the super-duper decoder page. Like LE doesn't have sense enough to click their mouse too?
also...it appears only the men do it. i dont think i have ever seen an ad where a lady used it.
its part of it I guess, perhaps goes back to using Bookies, I used to call in bets and a $1 was hundred .25 was $25 and so on....

what bothers me to no end is when Providers put..

My rate is 250 roses,, .....frankly I think that is the stupidest way to convey your fee!!!!
its part of it I guess, perhaps goes back to using Bookies, I used to call in bets and a $1 was hundred .25 was $25 and so on....

what bothers me to no end is when Providers put..

My rate is 250 roses,, .....frankly I think that is the stupidest way to convey your fee!!!! Originally Posted by RALPHEY BOY
well that is better than not putting anything...THAT bothers me to no end
  • FSCOB
  • 11-25-2010, 10:04 PM
well that is better than not putting anything...THAT bothers me to no end Originally Posted by bubbaJay
No kidding. Feels great when they look surprised at what you just gave them...

Can you say "overpay?"
I think.. *** would be better then $$$ / if you are really doing code.
"But your honor, I didn't write that I paid 200 dollars. I wrote $$"
"Case dismissed."

I feel pretty sure it's mostly that stupid idea. It's like the stupid disclaimers providers put on their sites saying something like "I promise I'm not a cop." They don't provide you any significant degree of protection.

There's probably a little bit of "inside joke" and "tongue in cheek secret society" flavor to it, too.