I could really use some help with Googe Voice

I have an iphone 4 and just signed up for Google Voice. Let me start by stating this MAY not be the best hobby tool for me to use but if I could get the service to do what I want it to do it could be.

I can't figure out if there is a way to receive texts and calls without it ALSO going to my real life number. Example: I get a text from a provider on my Google number and it also sends it to my real number, that will not work. I want to make calls and send/receive texts on the Google number and not have it forward to my real number.

If I turn off the forwarding in the control panel, will I still get calls and text to the Google number on my phone?

Confused, sorry. Been fighting this for two days.
I just reread that, not sure it makes sense! LOL
Your post makes sense i just dont know how it works, sexy!!

Is there a number you can call and get the scoop on from someone live?
just a thought
There's a tutorial on Google.com. Was also mentioned in another thread. Would be a great thing if it works. And I usually don't engage in this kind of thing, but it's nice to be under the CEO of the Mile High Club. Not even any altitude sickness.
Have you downloaded the google voice iPhone app?
Have all phone calls and texts to your Google voice number forwarded to your iphone4.

Send your Google voice number to the parties that will be texting you and tell them to text you using that number only.

The text from your parties will be sent to Google voice and then forwarded to your iphone4. When you receive the text, it will have a unique phone number associated to the party that sent you the text.

Store this number for the party that texted you. You will have to do this for each party you want to text. Each party will have a unique number for you to send texts to.

When you text this party from your iphone4, use this stored number to sent your text to this party.

When the party receives your text, your Google number will show up as the party that sent the text, not your iphone number.

I love Google voice.
  • Jaleh
  • 12-21-2010, 11:07 PM
There's a tutorial on Google.com. Was also mentioned in another thread. Would be a great thing if it works. And I usually don't engage in this kind of thing, but it's nice to be under the CEO of the Mile High Club. Not even any altitude sickness. Originally Posted by Gonzo DFW

Yes that caught my attention! Babydoll do tell .... I've been looking to join myself.
Download the Google Voice app to your iphone4.

Log into your Google Voice acct from your computer and go into the Settings; the link is located in the upper right corner next to Sign Out.

1.) Phones. Forward the Google Voice phone number to your iphone.

2.) Voicemail & Text.

a.) Voicemail Notification. You can receive texts via email &/or text (SMS) to your phone.

b.) Text Forwarding. It can be connected to your Gmail acct.

3.) Calls.

a.) Caller ID (incoming). Choose to display the caller's or your Google Voice phone number. You can store & label contacts, so you'll know who it is when they call.

b.) Caller ID (outgoing). When you text someone, you can choose not to change anything or display your Google Voice phone number.

c.) Do Not Disturb. You can enable this feature and set it to end when you want it to.

It's just a general outline but it covers most of your concerns. The acct settings are pretty much self-explanatory and easy to follow.

Good luck & enjoy!