Suggestions for new author?

I am totally into Clive Cussler. Have read all of his Dirk Pitt tales and do not particularly care for his co-authors. Anyone have suggestions that might be a good read. Would prefer a ongoing saga Like Pitt.
P.S. I have been reading Alex Cross series.
  • 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM
John Sandford's Prey series with protagonist Lucas Davenport is fun.
I'm a fan of Ian Rankin's detective novels. They're set in Edinburgh, Scotland, and Inspector Ian Rebus is the protagonist. He's a bit of a maverick.

Monk
Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. Great stuff.
Lee Child sounds familiar, will have to search my old book boxes.
Had'nt heard of Sandford or Rankin, will check them out.
Thanks for the ideas!
I like historical whodunits. look at steven saylor several with roman detective 68ad, and wilbur smith has some good stuff also tony hillerman .
David Balducci
Most novels are set in Washington D.C. His stories are political fiction including blackmail, murder for hire, CIA, FBI intelligence, etc. A great author. Most of his books are in series.
I am a fan of lighter fare. A good, easy read is more my style. Like Melville, for example.
  • Mokoa
  • 01-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels are always good. The most recent, Dead or Alive, is available.

Also Clancy's first book, The Hunt For Red October has been printed again. For those of you who have not read it, here is your chance to catch up on a great story.
I love Dirk Pitt read him for years and hated it when Cussler started writing with other characters. I think he has found out the readers like Pitt.

My 1st was the Mediterranean Caper. They re-named it something else. I don't like hardback (too hard to carry around) but couldn't wait another year for the paperback. Anyone want the Pitt series in hardback?
+1 on the Lee Child (Jack Reacher) books....be sure to read them in order....as they do rely on previous activities a lot,...

Also, try author Stuart Woods.... like Cussler...has 2 or 3 main characters, again in order is best..there are about 25 books....save the $$$$, use your public library..

Hope I'm not coming off as a bookworm, had a bad accident and long recovery a couple of years ago..read to keep from going crazy....

I am totally into Clive Cussler. Have read all of his Dirk Pitt tales and do not particularly care for his co-authors. Anyone have suggestions that might be a good read. Would prefer a ongoing saga Like Pitt.
P.S. I have been reading Alex Cross series. Originally Posted by woodstretcher
P.N. Elrod
The Vampire files
http://productsearch.barnesandnoble....ook&SID=279391
James Clavell's entire "Asian Saga."
+2 on Lee Child. Excellent.
I practically live on airplanes and in airports so I read quite a bit....

Just finished Tom Clancy Dead or Alive...
Stephen Hunter Dead Zero ( Bob Lee Swagger series)
Stephen J. Cannell (L.A. police series)
W.E.B. Griffen ( military series)
Wilbur Smith ( Africa adventure series)

Alex Bell has written three or four series books that are very good; wealthy British Lord James Bond kind of character, similar to Dirk Pitt series character. I have enjoyed all of the Alex Bell books.