D.E.W. you can?

Normally I would just post this in the powder room but since the gals lost that, I must post here. Does anyone can? I mean "mason jar"? I found a receipe on the back of the sugar box and thought I would try something easy....huh!

so what are the time lines.... I'm guessing boiling jars, lids, rings but when? right before, the night before?

any help very much appreciated.... thanks.
been awhile since I've done it but it's pretty neat.
This short clip should give some idea of the sequence...

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/new_products/258.php
I boil all cans, lids and rings ahead of time and put them on the jars, but I don't screw the rings down. The lids seal best if you boil or heat them briefly before putting them on the jars. The glass lips of the jars must also be absolutely clean (no spilling jelly, condiment, whatever on them) before putting the lids on.
Thank you Billy Saul for the link but I started it in Safari and it was jerky and I couldn't understand so I took the link to FireFox and I couldn't get anything to come up. DAMN! I'm not good at this old fashioned stuff but I think I need to learn. So what I did was heat the jars & screw tops in the hugh pot and the lids in a small pot.

Then I took them out just before ready to put the strawberry mix into and once the lids were on I put the screw tops just alittle and put the whole thing into the pot and boiled for 15 minutes. cooling now.

thanks for all the help...... I wish my computer would help more.
yw, sounds like you have it under control
I don't know about that but at least when I pressed on all the tops they didn't flex at all. ... That is good right? LOL
Your county extension agent is a great resource for canning. They can provide plenty of literature, probably even videos. Sometimes they even have canning classes. At least the ones for rural counties, haven't tried an overpopulated county yet...

Current official name is Texas AgriLife Extension Service. http://agextension.tamu.edu/

Travis County office: http://www.co.travis.tx.us/agext/default.asp
wow, thanks for those links R. I never thought of that.
I did go to a canning ...not class.. but lecture and she was so confusing (esp. to someone who never canned a thing ever) that by the time an hour was over she never said sterlize the jars, lids and rings....... so I left knowing less than when I got there.
D.E.W. Look on the box the new lids came in there is an 800 # Mason / Ball will send you booklet with instr. and recipes. I believe their free of charge.
The Ball Canning Guide is a great resource, as it has processing times, recipes, and what you can and shouldn't can unless you have a pressure canner. I've made some pickled okra and orange marmalade this year to great results.
Be sure to follow a correct procedure for what you're trying to can. Some things require a pressure cooker because boiling water is not hot enough to kill all bacteria, especially botulism.
OH I think I threw away the box top but I found the guide on the net and will order it, thanks sounds like the book to have near by for all canning.

I will be careful on what I can so far... I haven't even tasted the strawberry stuff. I filled 8 and 3/4 jar. the lesser jar will move when I tip it. (Should I be worried?) I'm going to try it. soon. LOL

Has anyone tried the re-usable lids? I heard about them, looked them up, have not bought any but they seem really good, however one comment was that you pay more and then your friends D.E.W. not give you back the lid when finished with your gifted canned stuff. bummer!

thanks for all the good points. I don't even know enough to know what to ask. LOL

PS in looking for the "FREE" book looks like they sell it at Walmart and BALL has changed some things over to another site. http://www.freshpreserving.com/

TEXAS classes
Cooperative Extension State Website

Central Market Cooking School; Austin, Texas
4001 North Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78756

Lake Austin Spa Resort Culinary Classes
1705 S. Quinlan Park Road
Austin, TX 78732

Hope this helps someone too.
i took at canning class at whole foods. it was very good and taught me how to can...
Then i went out and bough a bushel of peaches,tones of cucumbers,okra,etc.

I have a closet full of stuff now
Never thought about canning before, but may have to try it once my produce comes in from my garden.

Thank You to all for the advice and links.

Genesis Nicole
Not in a long, long time. I don't even own a pressure cooker any more.

I do make my own sausage. Venison sausage needs a little beef fat added and turkey sausage needs a lot of chicken fat.