In search of a really good deli....

I'm looking for a really good deli. The few years I have been here, I have had no luck finding one.

Besides the chains (Subway, Jasons, etc....) are there any other options?

I just want a really good sandwich. I would really like a mom and pop kind of place. Flexible on location.

Any suggestions?
Alisha ...xoxo
  • Carl
  • 05-15-2011, 09:35 AM
NeWorlDeli at 4101 Guadalupe

Little Deli at 7101 Woodrow
Like Carl said, The Little Deli is top notch. They also serve great pizza. Tony will take care of you.
Thank you so very much for the suggestions!

Alisha ...xoxo
Closest decent deli is Kenny and Ziggys in Houston. Pity.
  • Paven
  • 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Oh what a great thread! I just went and checked that place out and got a yummy sandwich! What a cool 1950's strip mall area. I will be back for sure! Thank you for the info .
Thundercloud is good and if your looking for a good chain try Jersey Mikes
Oh what a great thread! I just went and checked that place out and got a yummy sandwich! What a cool 1950's strip mall area. I will be back for sure! Thank you for the info . Originally Posted by Paven
It is kind of old school, right down to the IGA grocery store.
Now that you have had a sandwich, try the pizza!
Ohhh, you meant white bread and mayonnaise deli, not New York style deli.

Never mind!

Try Subway.

• Paven
  • 05-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Well the owner is from New York and makes New York style pizza which I will try next time for sure. The slices looked really good.

I had roast beef and cheddar on sourdough, I also went into the IGA grocery store. It smelled like an old school grocery store not bad or anything there is just a smell. I bought some Shasta grape soda and had a great lunch.
Over the last few years, there's been a few movies filmed there due to the 50's look.
Last time they had a camera crew in a balloon tethered to the ground, brought out the whole neighborhood to gawk. It's a cool area.
  • Carl
  • 05-17-2011, 12:55 AM
... I also went into the IGA grocery store. It smelled like an old school grocery store not bad or anything there is just a smell. I bought some Shasta grape soda and had a great lunch. Originally Posted by Paven
I know exactly what you mean. Reminds me of where I grew up.
That is so funny. I was gonna mention the smell. It smells like a small grocery store!
Hey ladies. If you're looking for RAW meat, send a private message.
Have you seen the dominos pizza commercial with someone named charlie thames? I saw the shooting of the commercial at the front counter and the Little Deli was still open for business! I kid you not!!

Little Deli is hard to beat. if you don't get pizza, the club sandwich is enough for two, and the cakes are amazing (and I do not have a sweet tooth). A whole pizza is just the best though, I gotta say. Mmmmm.