Therapist Wanted

I know this is a strange place to ask, but I'm looking for recommendations for a mental health professional near Plano/Allen/Richardson.

I think for the process to be effective, I'm going to need to be as honest as I can, including my past involvement with the hobby. This will be difficult for me to talk about, especially if I feel like I'm speaking to someone who might judge me. For instance, I figure anyone who has been trained in 'Christian Counseling' isn't going to be a good fit.

So I'm looking for someone who is purely secular, deals regularly with clinical depression, possibly also Inattentive ADHD and sex addiction. I'm not sure what 'level' of therapist is appropriate. My insurance seems to be pushing 'Master Level Clinician', but I suspect medication might be appropriate and it looks like MLCs would need to go to a third party for that, which makes me suspect they might not know how to recognize adverse effects.

I usually find it easier to open up to women than men, but with the hobby aspect I think I might need to go with a man this time (or possibly a former provider who isn't bitter, though I hardly think one would advertise their past).

I really don't know what else to look for. The articles I've read suggest finding out where the therapist studied, what methods of therapy they utilize, and what their reputation is. I wouldn't know what to do with the first two things, and I don't know who I could ask for the third.

If anyone has suggestions, feel free to PM me if you're uncomfortable posting publicly.
FG all I can offer is interview any potential therapist just as if you were going to hire them, Which you are. I would find 3 in the area you are looking for, maybe 2 males and a female and make a one hour appointment for counseling. Meet and ask lots of questions about their style, how they would approach your case, etc. Don't just let someone that recognizes you have insurance push you into a commitment. This is too important for your well being. I do the same thing with all my key health care providers. If they resent this approach they are not for me.
Quality therapist will fully understand this is a joint venture in order to succeed. Non judgement and openness on both parties is essential for success. Not how much they can bill your insurance.
I wouldn’t worry about the medication aspects. Most will refer you to a psychiatrist if they think you need meds. That being said, I’d start with a psychiatrist, and level with him or her. They’ll probably treat the ADHD. They will also look for depression, anxiety, various conditions where lack of impulse control, etc. is part of the picture. Most reject the idea that sex addiction is a separate condition, but is most often a symptom of another underlying condition. Once they determine what that is and begin to treat than, THEN they will refer for counseling. Likewise, if you think you need counseling to go along with the initial diagnostic process, they can arrange that.

Best of luck.
  • Crock
  • 08-20-2018, 04:13 PM
If anyone has suggestions, feel free to PM me if you're uncomfortable posting publicly. Originally Posted by FlyingGorilla
Try here: https://www.ncsfreedom.org/key-progr...ssionals-59776

The hobby is a niche kink, but it's a kink nonetheless...
Not how much they can bill your insurance. Originally Posted by lipsandhipster
* sigh *
I had hoped that the profession was a bit more ethical these days. I should have sought help long ago, but my first experience 30 years ago was with a group who, IMO, just saw me as a paycheck. In the end, another therapist confirmed my suspicions that the first group had only succeeded in destroying my family.
That being said, I’d start with a psychiatrist, and level with him or her. They’ll probably treat the ADHD ... THEN they will refer for counseling. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
TexTushHog, that sounds like very good advice, thank you.

Try here: https://www.ncsfreedom.org/key-progr...ssionals-59776

The hobby is a niche kink, but it's a kink nonetheless... Originally Posted by Crock
Crock, I wouldn't have thought of trying to filter for 'kink aware'. It certainly wasn't one of the filters the insurance company gave in their directory. Thanks for the link; I'll have to check if there's any doctors in common. There don't seem to be many in conservative Collin County (most seem to be in 'weird' Austin).

Thanks, everyone.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/t...stin-tx/198919
Check her out. She is a great therapist and has worked with sex workers before on a variety of issues.
OP I hope you get the help you need your addiction is more common than you think...I feel like i am addicted as well at times...As im sure there are hundreds more here going through it as ell....Doesn't just happen with men...Good luck to ya...
OP I hope you get the help you need your addiction is more common than you think...I feel like i am addicted as well at times...As im sure there are hundreds more here going through it as ell....Doesn't just happen with men...Good luck to ya... Originally Posted by Brandee69

My exact thoughts.