Criteria For Closing A Thread?

What is the criteria for closing a thread?

I just noticed a thread of mine was closed without any explanation from a moderator that was not listed as the actual moderator for the forum.

I though St. Christopher said that all mod activity would strive to a detailed description of the action taken in the form of a "footprint."

I went through and scanned the thread and saw no controversy or policy violation:

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=10934&page=3

It is a quirky thread and has had surges of activity, but it never became a drama thread or one where folks abused any board policies. The only possible reason I saw for closing it was that it was recently bumped, but when bumped, it had a great deal of activity. As I remember this was discussed before and it was decided that the old mothership rule would not apply here of a strict 30 day expiration, especially if the thread showed new life with vigorous new discussion.

Perhaps we should clarify this or put a uniform criteria in place?

I guess my point is, on a national thread and given a universal topic that may be revisited from time to time, perhaps we should not automatically treat it as old milk?
  • TBONE
  • 03-07-2010, 08:19 AM
ANONONE

Sorry about that it was a mis communication.We've re- opened the thread.
Thank you sir!
T
I though St. Christopher said that all mod activity would strive to a detailed description of the action taken in the form of a "footprint." Originally Posted by ANONONE
Not quite sure I said ALL MOD ACTIVITY...

For this reason, it is a general practice of mine to leave footprints INSIDE the offending post so that readers who may stumble across a thread and encounter the offending post will take note that staff has addressed the issue and how they dealt with it. Originally Posted by st.christopher

however I do try to do that whenever I can, and it seems to be catching on with quite a few of my fellow staff. IMO it's a good practice

St. C
I agree. It helps us learn better than a list someplace, if we learn by object lesson.

It doesn't matter to me if a thread drops naturally. It just looked like folks had renewed interest in it, so thanks for letting things be a bit more organic around here--I think that is a major strength here.
Also, the 30-day bumping rule is more aptly directed toward our review forums. Don't ya just love it when a 3 month old review gets bumped to the top with a remark like.....

Right on!