Hoops - predictions just for fun

A couple of years ago in October I posted my prediction for Wichita State’s upcoming season….it was pretty close to spot on. But back then I was much more deeply into the analytics…. Today I’m just a fan, so here are my predictions for this upcoming season; partly from the head and partly from the heart. 😊

Fourteen non-conference games: Eight opponents hovering around 200 or worse, Mississippi @ home, the Cancun tournament, OU @ Intrust, VCU @ Koch, and OSU on the road…Worst case 9-5, best 11-3.

My “fan” prediction is 11-3…They could stumble against either WV or SC in Cancun, and/or Mississippi at home, but I’m saying they won’t. On the other hand, the likelihood of winning any of the last three listed early in the season is not very good.

What’s unfortunate about the AAC schedule is that the three teams WSU plays only once include ECU and Tulane by far the two worst teams in the league.

The AAC is full of teams capable of performing at a high level, and at least three with the potential to make national waves… To put things in perspective ten of the AAC schools, all except the ECU and Tulane, are ranked equal to or higher than Loyal Chicago, the top rated MVC school. My prediction is Wichita State rises to the top of the middle pack and flirts with the top three. My optimistic fan prediction for the conference… 12-6, a fourth-place finish, and a trip to the dance.

My overall prediction: Entering post-season 23-9, 1-1 in the AAC tournament, and 1-1 in the NCAA. They will be seeded such that making it any further at the NCAA will be difficult.

This is a few games better than most prognosticators.

Tonight: Kansas wins and covers the 2.5 but stays under the 152.5.

Tonight: Kansas wins and covers the 2.5 but stays under the 152.5. Originally Posted by chad1966
28 turnovers, need I say more... did get the under at least. So far so good with Wichita State lol... one game in
I like your predictions for WSU. If the can make it back to the big dance, it's a win. KU of course blew a big game yesterday with a HUGE number of turnovers.
I think KU will get things figured out. At this point, Dok and SDS haven't seen much court time in an actual game for well over a year. Several new players on the roster. It always seems like it takes the new guys a while to get things figured out. KU will be good this year, but I never believed in some of the pre-season hype. They should be a top-10 team, but they are going to have to get some guard play from someone besides Dotson if they want to sniff the final four in March.
Evansville upsets No.1 Kentucky... I don't think anyone saw that one coming! There was a recent article about how we needed to brace ourselves for a Kentucky run at No. 1 for a while, as they wouldn't be challenged until late December. Congrats to Evansville's Head Coach Walter McCarty, a former Wildcat!

I admit I love a little disarray early in the college season!

I love it when Kentucky looses. Especially to unranked teams at home. Even more to a Missouri Valley team!
One correction to my original post: Wichita State plays only thirteen non-conference games. I had mistakenly included the early East Carolina game as non-conference. I'm still hoping to head into conference play with only three losses...we shall see if the Shocks are ready for the step-up in competition that is coming up this week.
I couldn't have written a better script for this game that I would have enjoyed more; Duke losing at home in overtime to the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks! ML was +8500

Good luck to the Shocks tonight v. WV
Shocks are way ahead of where I expected them to be at this time...totally blew up my non-conference predictions. Sometimes it's a pleasure to be wrong! Be fun to see them back in the upcoming AP and Coaches polls.