Fun Thread! Body Armor Recommendations.

So if the shit hits the fan come November, I got the guns and ammo. But no body armor. Any recommendations? I see there are basically two types. Soft Armor Vests and Vests that hold plates. The soft armor vests seem expensive...but then again what's their life worth? Vests with hard plates appear less expensive, heavier and maybe not as effective at covering the whole torso?

Recommendations? Does anyone have real experience with this? I've seen some Youtube vids.

Better hurry, some of this is already backordered 2 months.
So if the shit hits the fan come November, I got the guns and ammo. But no body armor. Any recommendations? I see there are basically two types. Soft Armor Vests and Vests that hold plates. The soft armor vests seem expensive...but then again what's their life worth? Vests with hard plates appear less expensive, heavier and maybe not as effective at covering the whole torso?

Recommendations? Does anyone have real experience with this? I've seen some Youtube vids.

Better hurry, some of this is already backordered 2 months. Originally Posted by gnadfly
Yes the plates are a pain in the azz. Bulky, and the vests that they slide into are a bitch to repair if the seams start letting go.

Go with the Kevlar. There's a half dozen "levels" of protection.
Level one is a joke. Consider levels 2 or 3. And there's subsets. Level 4 basic runs about $400.
Btw, some of the newer versions of the soft vest actually have pockets for the new ceramic plates.
Life cycle of vests depends on manufacturer. All will post the specs on that. Most are 4 to 6 yrs but that really depends on usage (story below). Note a critical issue: Once a vest has taken a shot, it's trash regardless of how pretty it may still look.

Sizing is important of course.
Also consider attachments.
Specifically, a holster for things holsters carry.
And decent side panels (most have already), look for potential add-ons like shoulder covers, neck collars, groin lower pieces (I think a must), etc. None of this works with the plate metal insert versions.
And of course, for the gals, sizing is a huge issue. For the gals, there are a couple outfits that will custom build a decent vest so that gal parts are not squashed, tops of hips actually have a bit of room, torso length is appropriate, etc.

a story:
One of my old kevlar's was turned into a backpack for a gal teacher that was teaching in a rough part of town in a distressed city, which qualified for student loan dismissal. Later the parts became a liner for a front panel cover of a baby crib.
so the vests are not repairable if taken a shot or so?
I'll do some research (to make sure my info is accurate) but I can give you a short answer now.
Level II and IIA will stop 9mm (the "a" means it has less protection than no "a".)
Level IIIa will stop .44
Level III will stop 7.62mm and 5.56mm (only the plate will be rated to LIII. The rest will be IIIA or II)
Level IV will stop .30 Cal armor piercing
(We tested one that I wore in Afghanistan (level IV) and it stopped .50 Cal but the guy wearing it would have almost certainly died of blunt trauma)
I would go with level III
I do not recommend shoulder protection, groin pro or neck pro. Those pieces will only be IIIA at best and it is makes the already heavy armor even heavier. (In combat, those pieces are usually there for protection from schrapnel, not bullets tho they may stop a richochet or even 9mm.) Shoulder protection can interfere with shouldering your weapon. Neck protection will definitely interfere with sighting. (I saw a demonstration of armor tested by a Ranger and he could not sight down his weapon in the prone position because of the neck protection.) Most of that stuff is removable so I wouldn't worry too much. Honestly, You will probably not be able to hold a stationary position in a prolonged firefight unless you have a team to cover your 6. So be prepared to move. An organized militia of a few guys can easily protect a small neighborhood but you will need to put a lot of trust in your team. They may even be a liability.
Do not get ceramic plates. They are too heavy and can shatter w 1 hit. Newer plates can be rated for multiple hits but I would replace it if possible if it stops a bullet. (It has done its job already.) Look at the manufacturers information and read reviews.
Get a quality plate carrier and note the stitching. Its no good if it falls apart. Some have padded shoulders to increase comfort but I feel they interfere w shouldering the weapon and cheek weld but that's more of a personal preference. Get one w molle straps or some other type of modular system. This allows you to customize your armor. I would go w 2 minumum and 6 extra maximum mags (but don't overload yourself). I keep my pistol on my belt (separate from my vest) but some guys put theirs on their chest. Use a small pistol if you do this.
Wear a camel back. You will get thirsy. Have a med kit ready to deal with 2 gun shot wounds. (If a bullet goes in, it usually comes out.) Have a tourniquet in case emergency response is delayed. We always attached this to the stock, away from your cheek.
I don't think things will come to this in most parts of the US but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. (And it has been ongoing in parts of some cities.)
Honestly, if I had to fight, it would only be 1 night because I'm leaving asap (probably the 1st or 2ND day) and getting my family away from the stupidity. I'll file an insurance claim on the property and live to talk about it.
I imagine most rioters will flee if they get resistance and look for a softer target. Fire a couple of shotgun rounds and people will scatter. Be cognizant of what is beyond your target. You will be held responsible for damage and injuries you cause. If you fire a warning shot and it hits your neighbor... you get the picture.
If you shoot someone, call a cop and say only "self defense, I want to talk to a lawyer". NOTHING MORE! The NRA will pay for a lawyer if you're a member. You can also get carry insurance which covers the cost of an attorney.
I would also recommend walking around your house taking a video of all your belongings for the insurance claim.
I think your money on a vest might be better spent on professional training. Plus, you may find someone at your local gunshop w more info or even an old vest they will sell because they want to upgrade. The rule of thumb is, spend at least as much on training as you have on your weapon.
I'll add more later if anyone needs more info.
Be safe guys.
Soft armor may not completely stop a bullet. Even if it does the ribs underneath will like likely be broken.
I've seen guys take a hit in the plate and never break their stride.
Gnad.....you won't want to wear it during these hot months and the folks you are worried about are too pussy to spend much time out in the cold as winter sets in.

Find a range that allows you to work on your "response" time with accuracy.

FYI: The rule of thumb on the street is to wear a vest rated for the weapon you carry, and any that you can get won't stop a ride to the hospital ... or at least temporarily interfere with your ability to respond ....

.... regardless of the anecdotal bullshit.
Thanks for concern LL. Novembers are pretty mild here in Houston.
so the vests are not repairable if taken a shot or so? Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
You have to to replace the entire panel section. Cheaper to get a new one.

I somewhat agree with goodman except on the plates and the neck/groin comments.
Here in the states the issue lately is urban riot. There's no clue which direction a round may be coming from. Also, probably light caliber, not 50 heavy. Plates not needed and besides, there are gaps between plate sections. Get the next size up for neck. Sizing the vest is the thing. LL's comment on ability to respond is valid.
Don't just stand there in the shop looking in a mirror, bend, twist get your arms up etc. If you go custom build, 6 months.

Last, my bad using the word ceramic, the new synthetic solid is what I was thinking of.

Better hurry, some of this is already backordered 2 months. Originally Posted by gnadfly
I may have missed it, what's the expected use? Everyday wear you'll need soft armor that's at least partially concealable. The problem i have with that is the fact that AR-15s are everywhere, and concealable soft armor won't do anything for that.

If it's really shit goes sideways armor, plate armor. Lot's of options for not much money. AR500 covers well.

As others have said, you'll really need to get time with it on. I run mag pouches in front and my EDC pistol on the side. It took a good amount of time to be able to function with it on.
The plated will stop most mil weapons that the UN carries ,,,
Last, my bad using the word ceramic, the new synthetic solid is what I was thinking of. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
There were a few designers talking about flexible composite plates a decade ago. I believe some were a ceramic blend but I'm not sure what ever came of the research.

If you buy used, armor does have a shelf life.
Yes, I saw that on an episode of Pawn Stars. You know what else has an expiration date: Child Car Seats. And some Baby strollers. Wierd.
Yes, I saw that on an episode of Pawn Stars. You know what else has an expiration date: Child Car Seats. And some Baby strollers. Wierd. Originally Posted by gnadfly

what??? that's crazy!
I want gun