Retiring to Medellin

Anyone on here retired to Medellin? What are you thoughts about living in Medellin as an expat? I've been thinking about it recently. I've read many pro's about it. Public transportation, cost of living, dining, health care, weather. The woman in the video below also help. My situation is this. I'm 41, no kids, no wife. The company I worked for shut down permanently due to covid. I started to invest in rental properties a few years ago. I decided to cash out my retirement accounts and buy more real estate. I'm probably going to make about 3k a month this year and it will continue to go up every year after that. I don't want to go back to work. I think that should be enough for Medellin. Does anyone live in Medellin but has a business in the US? Sorry for the long post. I got my second covid vaccine shot yesterday and I couldn't sleep much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y4C3Ybq05g
  • BLM69
  • 03-27-2021, 08:40 AM
I say go for it, you're still young without attachments and can always move back or visit the U.S. for a change of scenery, I'm gonna visit medellin and try a 30 day trip to spoil myself
  • NC-17
  • 03-30-2021, 08:37 AM
You are in the perfect situation, you can spend the next 20 years of your life pounding the best poon throughout the country and even the region. Use Badoo, IG and other sources. Many Expats are living this dream, so can you.
You are in the perfect situation, you can spend the next 20 years of your life pounding the best poon throughout the country and even the region. Use Badoo, IG and other sources. Many Expats are living this dream, so can you. Originally Posted by NC-17
What level of Spanish do you think I would need to know to get around on my own in Medellin?
Why not go live there for a few months and see? Get a long-term rental apartment and see if you have what it takes to live there? Nothing says it has to be a permanent move. you could even try out different neighborhoods, or even cities, with a different place each month.

You'll figure out pretty quickly if you can get along with basic Spanish, or if you are dying for American food, or whatever you'd miss most from home.
Why not go live there for a few months and see? Get a long-term rental apartment and see if you have what it takes to live there? Nothing says it has to be a permanent move. you could even try out different neighborhoods, or even cities, with a different place each month.

You'll figure out pretty quickly if you can get along with basic Spanish, or if you are dying for American food, or whatever you'd miss most from home. Originally Posted by KCQuestor
You're right I should do that. I probably have to wait 6-12 months until my rental income stabilizes. I just got the first month of rental income from my largest property.
I am hoping to retire to Ensenada or elsewhere in northern Baja California. It's possible to buy property there, but it's a hassle. Before I do anything like that I'm definitely going to rent there for a few months before I commit.
Research Poblado and Parque Lleras.
I am originally from Texas and moved to Medellín 5 years ago. I am a little older than you but I too have rental properties that partly funds my living here. Most of the expats I know live on far less than you will be making from your rental properties. The pandemic and now protests have made a mess of what was a normal life here but things should hopefully return to normal sooner rather than later. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions you would like answered.
  • BLM69
  • 06-30-2021, 09:24 AM
Research Poblado and Parque Lleras. Originally Posted by Mental AtrraXXXion
I know Parque Lieras is a hooker hangout, I do see a lot of tourist and locals mixed in there also. I seen enough YouTube videos
I know Parque Lieras is a hooker hangout, I do see a lot of tourist and locals mixed in there also. I seen enough YouTube videos Originally Posted by BLM69
It's not a formal red light district or anything. Parque Lleras (that's LL, not Lieras) is a neighborhood that happens to have a lot of bars and nightclubs. During the day there are lots of shops and restaurants open, and at night it turns into a hotspot. It just so happens that plenty of working girls hang out there since they know that's where the guy will be.
I’ve been to Medellin a few times love the place . I plan to retire there myself. I was told by a local if you can afford $1000 mo you should be ok . I’m not sure if was referring to bad barrio but las laureles and poblado including envigado are very good areas imho.