Wood Pellet Smoker Recommendations

After watching one too many episodes of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives I have decided that I could probably make some bomb BBQ so I want to get a wood pellet smoker, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I've done a little research, but I thought some of you gentlemen (and ladies too) may be able to share your smoker brand preference with me. I only have a couple people to cook for so I don't need a super big one.

I would also love to know which kind of wood pellets you like to cook over.

Bonus points if you have a favorite dry rub recipe you're willing to share!
Now you’re speaking my language! Here’s mine… The Traeger Lil’ Pig! And some marinated chicken breast I just smoked last night. Huge cowboy ribeyes are amazing on it as well. I always make those for my overnight guests!

It’s absolutely amazing. I’ll include the link so you can go check it out. It has a thermostat and automatically drops pellets when the temperature drops below what you have programmed. It also comes with two digital temperature probes that show the current temperature of your meat on the control panel. So zero guessing on whether your meat is done or not!

Plus bonus, it’s adorable.

P.S. I love the classic flavor of hickory pellets! Or competition blend, which is usually hickory, maple and applewood.

https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet...SABEgIO-fD_BwE
Attached Images File Type: jpeg 0A0C9C27-4AF8-49C7-BF4A-04D6BF3E4788.jpeg (263.1 KB, 172 views) File Type: jpeg 12B719B7-75C0-4E74-9DF6-EBBCC8470DD9.jpeg (501.0 KB, 170 views)
Don’t forget your fancy apron.

https://www.searightcreations.com/pr...the-cook-apron
Attached Images File Type: jpeg F41ACA4A-F372-4EC0-B7A3-449011FB884D.jpeg (129.4 KB, 169 views)
After watching one too many episodes of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives I have decided that I could probably make some bomb BBQ so I want to get a wood pellet smoker, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I've done a little research, but I thought some of you gentlemen (and ladies too) may be able to share your smoker brand preference with me. I only have a couple people to cook for so I don't need a super big one.

Bonus points if you have a favorite dry rub recipe you're willing to share! Originally Posted by Vannah
Cook with a good brand of charcoal brickets or lump, Kingsford, B&B or Royal Oak, stay away from gas or pellets. a Habachi from Lodge is good for grilling, Red Box & PK are great to smoke and grill, this is the best link to all spices and rubs: https://www.thebbqsuperstore.com/BBQ...ies_s/1846.htm

Boars Night Out & P&L are excellant, you canfind everything you need on there, good luck! holler back if you need anything.
  • Mr.S
  • 07-02-2021, 12:05 PM
I’ve got both a Masterbuilt Electric and an Oklahoma Joe’s charcoal/wood smoker. For convenience and ease of use, the Masterbuilt is hard to beat. If I want to drink beer and babysit a fire all day I use the OK Joes
I'm a Weber fan. For quick grilling I've got a Weber Genesis. For slow cooking and smoking it's hard to beat a Weber Kettle (get the ash-sweeping version). The bonus of the Kettle is it's under $150 and it will last forever if you store it under a cover.
If you just want to add a little bit of smoke flavor using a regular grill, these pellet tube smokers are a very easy way to do that without making the full investment of buying an actual smoker.

I have a couple that I add to my regular smoker for extra flavor! You just fill the tubes with smoker pellets, throw them on top of the grate and you’re good to go! They also have a larger tray that holds more pellets.

They are also great to take on camping trips when you’re limited to working with a portable grill.

https://amazenproducts.com/
Attached Images File Type: jpeg 6F3EF835-076A-4D09-B334-3E705FDBA91E.jpeg (156.6 KB, 131 views)
I have a Recteq. Great quality (Stainless Steel), easy to assemble and most importantly, it will maintain temps within 1 degree of where I set it.
If you want the best pellet smoker/grill combo gotta go Green Mountain, get the wifi upgrade and you can control the whole thing from your phone. As for pellets try a variety, pecan smoke is mild, apple smoke is sweet, mesquite and hickory are a bit more harsh IMO
I have a traeger and I like but would probably try a rec tec if I get another one. It’s great for ribs, briskets, shoulders pretty much anything low and slow.
Traeger is the only way to go for a pellet smoker! Just go to their website and pick something in your price range. You’ll be glad you did.
Traeger is the only way to go for a pellet smoker! Just go to their website and pick something in your price range. You’ll be glad you did. Originally Posted by Nunyabiznas
They are wonderful! I have bought them for my family for gifts, as well.
I bought my parents a really cool one with folding legs, so it slides right into the storage bay of their RV and they bring it with them everywhere!

You can’t beat the pink pig for a conversation piece, though! Plus bonus, you can hang your tongs on her eyelashes. Lol
RecTeq makes great pellet smokers. I have a Bullseye which is a smoker/grill. I’ve smoked some awesome pork butts, ribs, chicken, and pork loins on it but it will also do high temperatures for grilling steaks, burgers, chicken, etc. I really like the versatility. It takes some learning to figure out what temperatures to cook on to get things just right but it’s a great smoker/grill in my opinion. And RecTeq customer service is top notch

Bonus points if you have a favorite dry rub recipe you're willing to share! Originally Posted by Vannah
Vannah,

As for recipes, this website was a Godsend when I first started smoking meats. Meathead is a genius when it comes to this stuff. I suggest following his recipes exactly once, and then adjusting to your personal taste.