Liberty safes

So Liberty Safes coughed up the access code to some guy's safe to the feds. They did so without seeing proof of a warrant. For Pete's sake even Apple tells LE "No" around this kind of intrusion. If it was me I'd sue them out of existence.

My personal safe is labeled Winchester but I'd bet it's produced by Liberty. It's not electronic but I'm planning to change the combination. Cause fuck that!

https://www.newsweek.com/liberty-saf...i-code-1825252
So Liberty Safes coughed up the access code to some guy's safe to the feds. They did so without seeing proof of a warrant. For Pete's sake even Apple tells LE "No" around this kind of intrusion. If it was me I'd sue them out of existence.

My personal safe is labeled Winchester but I'd bet it's produced by Liberty. It's not electronic but I'm planning to change the combination. Cause fuck that!

https://www.newsweek.com/liberty-saf...i-code-1825252 Originally Posted by Ducbutter

That is some messed up stuff and I can't understand why you would even allow a company to have this information. I have a Liberty safe but they sure as hell don't have this kind of access to mine. And you can bet your bottom dollar Ducbutter that it may say Winchester on it but Liberty more than likely made it.
From a thread on "another board" I understood that the gun sfe in question had an electronic keypad lock. Liberty provided the BATFE agents with a factory backdoor code to open it.

Keep in mind that LE was there with a valid warrant to search the house and the gun safe was specifically mentioned in the warrant. Given that, the safe could have been legally opened by them with a cutting torch if need be.
From a thread on "another board" I understood that the gun sfe in question had an electronic keypad lock. Liberty provided the BATFE agents with a factory backdoor code to open it.

Keep in mind that LE was there with a valid warrant to search the house and the gun safe was specifically mentioned in the warrant. Given that, the safe could have been legally opened by them with a cutting torch if need be. Originally Posted by ICU 812
My mistake that Liberty didn't have proof of a warrant but it's a distinction wiuthout a difference for me. Liberty doesn't have to provide the code for LE anymore than Apple does and they routinely deny access to phones.
Yes, it was an electronic lock in question.
I appreciate when companies like Apple say no to intrusion requests and in general agree that Liberty could have refused on the grounds that being the manufacturer of a product does cause them to be included in the warrant process. Getting a landlord to unlock a door is one thing but a company that simply produced an item they no longer have any control over should really only be an issue in certain extreme situations. That said what Liberty did was legal though the warrant in my opinion would only really compel the current owner of the safe to comply unless an immediate threat to life existed
The only other label that Liberty manufactures that I'm aware of is the Cabela's brand safe.
My personal safe is labeled Winchester but I'd bet it's produced by Liberty. It's not electronic but I'm planning to change the combination.

https://www.newsweek.com/liberty-saf...i-code-1825252 Originally Posted by Ducbutter
It would appear that Winchester Gun Safes are produced by Granite Security Products.
So much for some people here saying they back the party of law and order. As pointed out, the govt came a knocking with a warrant.

They could have just as well mutilated the safe and gave it back to the owner that way.

And when apple turned down uncle sam for the backdoor, he went ahead and still cracked the apple open. And fittingly, uncle sugar gave the finger to apple when they asked how it was done.
The only other label that Liberty manufactures that I'm aware of is the Cabela's brand safe.

It would appear that Winchester Gun Safes are produced by Granite Security Products.
Originally Posted by biomed1
That is what I found upon doing some digging this afternoon.
One can request the backdoor access code to be expunged from Liberty Safes
https://www.libertysafe.com/pages/combination-removal

Also, when your electronic lock beeps twice, it is time to replace the battery.

In regards to them cutting the safe open: If they are cutting your safe open or using a code they are taking the contents and you will no longer need a safe anyway.
"Law and Order": Nike just shut down their flagship store in Portland due to heavy, commercially unsustainable theft.

Total yearly homicides in Portland have gone from a historic level of 20 per year to over 80 killings a year.

Many view the BATFE as being on the same level as the Gestapo or KGB. I do not. I think they ar wrong . . .but that is part of the issue with the backdoor thing.

Fueling this view of "the Government" in the context of the Second Amendment and regulation of private ownership of guns, is that agencies' perceived overreach and capricious alteration of what is considered to be legal and then not legal. There are active court cases concerning this.

Intriguingly, similar court cases are active with OSHA and the EPA that, while having nothing directly connected with regulating guns, do have profound implications regarding regulatory overreach.

We wil just have to wait and see how these things shake out when they come to the SCOTUS.